Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check engine light

DM90

I want to start by saying that I don't know much about cars so apologies if this is a silly question. I will try to give as much information as possible in case it helps answer the question but most of it will probably be unnecessary.

I have a Lexus is250, 2007 UK Model. I have had the car since last August and never had a single issue with it, it's been perfect. I drive about 100miles a week, normal street driving in London, no motorway driving. Yesterday I was driving around in my car and as always no problems. Last night whilst driving home I was stuck at traffic lights on a hill and I think I stalled as I pulled away, the engine cut out and after several attempts trying to start the car it wouldn't start back up. I had the clutch all the way down till the green light came on the start/stop button however everytime I tried to start the car the check engine light came on and the Battery light but the engine would not start up. After about 10 - 15minutes the car started up properly, no warnings lights stayed on and the car drove home without a single glitch. I popped the car around to my mate at the end of the road who is a mechanic and an auto-electrician, he had a quick look under the bonnet (it was like 11PM and he was really busy), and he couldn't see an issue. I turned the car off and it started first time every time, tried this about 7 or 8 times and everytime it started without an issue and no warning lights.  My mate said it could be that the car was doing a self check after it cut out and that is why it wouldn't start up straight away. 

At the time of the car not starting the engine temperature was about half and there was 3 quarters of a tank of petrol (I very very rarely let it go below half a tank), I last topped up petrol Monday. Coincidentally the car had hit 66,666 miles when this happened. The car has full Lexus service history and is due to be serviced and MOT by Lexus is July.

My partner took my car for a quick drive this morning and she said she didn't have any issues and no warning lights, the car drove perfectly (neither of us know much about cars but did not feel any obvious operating issues).

Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Apologies for such a long post just wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Hi ,sorry to hear about your problem ,warning lights do cause consternation .My advice would be to get your ' mate ' to put a code reader on the car and check if any fault codes are recorded ,it will only take 10 mins ; if a code comes up you have an answer if not I would carry on as normal .This will not work if the Battery has been disconnected since the event as the code will be erased . Let us know how you get on 

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my mate is no longer actually working as a mechanic (after many years in the trade) and now just works on his own cars as a hobby so he therefore doesn't have any code reading equipment anymore, so looks like I will need to arrange a visit to a garage and pay them run a diagnostic check on the car then.

A couple of questions on that:

1) If the warning light has not returned will a diagnostic machine still pick up an error?

2) Should I do this as a matter of urgency or just wait and see if the light every comes back? Then if it ever comes back then take it for a check.

The light has never been on whilst the engine has run, it only came on when I couldn't start and the second it started the light went off as normal.

Hi ,the system should record the fault ,usually if the fault then does not re occur after restarting the car a few times the light will go out but the fault code number is in the system to be read when required . This may just be a glitch and if the car is starting and running O K   I would not worry too much and wait until your service . Do not run the car if the engine is misfiring as unburnt fuel can damage the catalytic converters .

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for the helpful reply.

As an update, took the car to Southend yesterday (80miles roundtrip), not a single issue even after the Mrs stalled it, it started straight away.

Will keep an eye, if any further issues will take it to be checked out otherwise it seems everything is okay. 

Thanks for your time and help Dave.