Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise control and slowing down

floggit

Heres an interesting one i had today and could be potentially dangerous.

I find the cruise control useful on long roads and little traffic locally. Was travelling at 40mph on cruise and the limit drops to 30mph so i down levered cruise to 30mph. Car behind me gets very very close. Can anyone tell me if the brakelights come on while losing speed with cruise control? You are not coasting but actually using some system of braking. While nothing happened im guessing there are no brake lights in this situation. Not something easy to check but i will be aware of it in future.

All cruise controls I've ever used only coast back down to chosen speed thus wouldn't put on brake lights.

Also, my hybrid (IS300h) doesn't seem to slow down too fast when you disengage the throttle, so I would put it down to the driver behind you just being a a little stupid, after all you are supposed to stick to the speed limits.

Vince

Agreed on the driver behind probably not paying as much attention as he should , i probably just made him more aware of speed limits lol.  I will have a play reducing speed on cruise but it definately feels like theres some sort of braking to achieve the desired speed.

When you reduce speed by reducing the cruise control you do get some retardation but it isn't any more than what you would experience driving a manual gearbox and simply taking your foot away from the accelerator. In both instances your brake lights wouldn't come on. When you reduce speed like that you just have to hope that other drivers are paying attention to their driving ( as we all should ).

• Like 1

You can try this by setting CC at say 30mph and hitting cancel.  Accelerate to 60 and allow the car to slow under no throttle, hit the 'resume' CC switch to re-enable cruise at 30. You will feel the car decelerating more rapidly. 

• Like 1

On 28/05/2017 at 6:43 PM, Wass said:

When you reduce speed by reducing the cruise control you do get some retardation but it isn't any more than what you would experience driving a manual gearbox and simply taking your foot away from the accelerator. In both instances your brake lights wouldn't come on. When you reduce speed like that you just have to hope that other drivers are paying attention to their driving ( as we all should ).

I agree with you there but the deceleration seems more akin to changing down a cog or maybe two on a manual box (like I was taught to do when learning many moons ago) . It can be quite sharp and like Floggit I've wondered if there wasn't some actual braking involved with lights showing.

CC is very handy, I find it works well on the A roads in Norfolk as long as there's only light traffic but even then you need to be careful and not get lulled into false security.

• Like 1

I watched Speed 2 Cruise Control on TV the other day, that ship didn't slow down very much either, it hit an oil tanker before crashing into the pier in St Martin.

Brake lights didn't come on either!

:biggrin:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I watched Speed 2 Cruise Control on TV the other day, that ship didn't slow down very much either, it hit an oil tanker before crashing into the pier in St Martin.

Brake lights didn't come on either!

:biggrin:

Well if i could get my eyes on Sandra Bullock, I wouldn't be bothered about putting the ships brakes on either!