Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

I have a Lexus 2006 RX400h. I was evaluating the work involved to replace the rear wheel bearing, so remove the rear disc, I removed the rear caliper, to get the caliper off the disc I pushed back the pads just enough, then removed the caliper, then removed the disc to check my tools to remove the rear wheel bearing, then put it all back together. I then started the engine, pressed the brake pedal and the dashboard lit up with Check VSC System as well as red and amber brake lights, red warning triangle etc.

I pressed the brake pedal a few times and felt the pressure build and thought brake pressure is ok, maybe the lights will go out, so I went for a test drive and did some forceful brake tests, all seemed fine except the dash lights didn't go out and are still on.

I went round the car checking the brakes, both front brakes are warm/hot and the rear right is warm/hot, suggesting the brake force on the discs are fine, except, the rear left is cold so no brake force by the pads on the disc.

So, I have previously changed the pads all round by winding back the piston, replacing the pads, starting the engine, depressing the brake pedal a few times, feel the pressure build and all is ok, I have also recently changed the discs and pads all round in the same manner and no problems at all.

The problem seems to have arisen from only pushing the pads back enough to get the caliper off over the disc and now there is no pad pressure on the rear left disc when the brake pedal is pressed.

Any thoughts/ideas on resolving this is appreciated.
Kind regards
Sam

Sam,

I looked into this recently anticipating a disc/pad change all round, which proved to be unnecessary on inspection.   One piece of advice I came across during that research was only to compress the brake caliper pistons the minimum amount necessary or risk tripping the sensors and generating faults.   The only solution offered was to depress the brake pedal several times to re-settle the pistons/pads before switching on the ignition.   I do not know whether this will work at this stage but is worth a try.Ian.

I've had this issue when replacing discs. I can't find the info at the moment, but the solution is to bridge 2 pins on the diagnostic connector with a paper clip, then press the brake pedal a number of times. I'm sure if you google VSC reset you will find the info. It's worked for me a couple of times.

Thanks very much for the responses.

Yes, indeed, it was the link above that fixed it, it took 2 attempts but it worked, I've saved that procedure as I may need it again.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links