Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Meguiars

LennyLexus

Right I've spent x amounts of pounds already on polishing product etc etc.. but none of them have sucessfully removed minor scratches.. and swirl marks that were caused by automatic car washes.. and jet wash brushes... and they show up and look terrible under direct light.

I wash and dry the car as usual, wash & wash and chamios,

Then apply polish in circular motion with Halfords polishing pad, and then leave for a few minutes and then polish off with 100% cotton terry towels...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

WILL THE 3 STAGE really sort my mess out? I've used turtlewax, t-cut and Halfords black polish, none of them work :angry:

And a few other questions

How often do you need to apply the 3 stage?

How many applications should you get from a set of bottles?

And what temperature is it best to apply it at?

If you do the 3 stage it will look something like This.., no swirls marks in sight.The result you get from polishing is the amount of effort you put in,it took me 4 hours,but worth it i think.

1)rinse car

2)wash car

3)dry car completly

4)stage 1(cleans paintwork)

5)stage 2

6)stage 3

Sounds like a business opportunity for me at meets :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

every 3 months ok.... ??

I trying to leave her parked up for special occasions now.

got my self a lovely (not) Renuault Extra Van on the H :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
If you do the 3 stage it will look something like This.., no swirls marks in sight.The result you get from polishing is the amount of effort you put in,it took me 4 hours,but worth it i think.

1)rinse car

2)wash car

3)dry car completly

4)stage 1(cleans paintwork)

5)stage 2

6)stage 3

:duh: What is 3 stage :duh: :unsure::blush:

Use Meguiars Scratch X to get rid of swirl marks. I used it on the mirrors on my IS200 and they came up a treat.

From Meguiars Website

Scratch X

The fine scratch & swirl remover.

ScratchX is the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from automotive paint by hand. This product is guaranteed to deliver the finest results possible by hand (some scratches require removal by machine applied professional formulas). ScratchX removes surface contaminants, oxidisation and blemishes as well as enhancing colour. Unlike many paint correction formulae on the market, ScratchX will not leave more scratches than it takes out. It's ideal for use as a quick touch up or to revive a car's entire finish.

G-10307 207 ml. liquid tube

wouldnt polish in circles - makes any scratches more obvious - polish in straight lines, then any scratches can only be seen at 90 ish degress to them.

The recommendation is always to polish in circles. I would have thought long scratches were more visible than circular ones rather than the other way around.

On my 3 year old I don't need to use a polish, just a wax.

I rinse with a hose to loosen dirt.

Wash the alloys first as recommended.

Use a brush with hose attachment to get rid of more dirt.

Wash.

Chamois (being in the shade avoids water spots which cause scratches when you wax).

At this point the surface is glass-like and you shouldn't be able to feel any contamination on the surface (consider a polish or clay if you do).

Wax (including alloys as recommended).

It NEVER goes in an automatic wash.

I sorry but if you speak to any good body shop they will tell you not to polish in circles.

Never use a automatic car wash if using a jet wash never use the brush and never never allow the rubber hose from the jet wash to rub against your car keep a hold of it.

Tip: Go into poundstetchers buy a pack of three dusters you cannot miss them are package in yellow and come in three colours geen blue and pink usually. You can also get them out of homebase etc.

Trust me they are better than any terry towel for the final buff.

i hear mr. sheen is an excellent polish, especially when used with dusters! :lol:

i highly reccomend the 3 stage and the quick detailer for a good finish, will be treating mine to another 3 stage at the weekend, had its last one in december.

brings black cars up superb. i use Meguiars detailing pads and a terry towel, dont half make ya arms ache though :blink: