Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Boredom

14 hours ago, talaipwros said:

well, i have the CT for one year now - for the wife -  and had a 730d from March 2015 till last month. Before that had a lexus GS250 and an IS250 I am waiting the 740d xdrive msport early September, immediately when 67plate kicks in. All vehicles bought brand new

the GS building quality was superior. Was also smoother cruiser at speeds up to 80mph aBMWnd much quieter ( tyre noise in the bimmer was much louder)

BMW was obviously much much faster ( and that is why I do not really believe that IS250 0-60 is in the low 7's as the 730d is around 6.5 and felt like a rocket in comparison) and was holding the road better in fast turns, higher speeds etc ( had the adaptive sport suspension)

BMW reliability not bad but a few hickups. To start with, some annoying noises very early when driving on uneven ground. GS was completely silent . That been said, CT does squeak as well, so a bit disappointed there

BMW spec much better. the infotainement though once a month would go suddenly off for about a minute. No satnav, nothing. Then it would start over again on its one. HUD stopped on a couple of occasions ( bizzarly after I put diesel on a specific gas station , after stop visiting this, never had a problem with HUD. weird stuff)

Brand image, much to my surprise BMW was is way ahead. Nobody could care less about the GS, had people at work asking me about the 7 series

real life MPG BMW was about 39, mostly motorway. The GS was about 29

hope that helps

edit: and the BMW speedometer is much more accurate than Lexus. Real 30mph is 31 in BMW and 33-34 in Lexus

I think the Lexus speedo is set up so you are less likely to speed - 8% difference is the norm in most cars.

The 730d has torque which the IS250 doesn't have - runs out of puff over 3.5k rpm though whereas the IS250 builds linear power over the whole rev range.

• 3 weeks later...

Me and my car are still married after going through a rocky patch. I'm now calling it my marmite car. I love a lot of aspects of the car but still hate some. On balance will keep it for a while longer and try to persevere with it. My recent mileage has been a lot of urban driving or pootling around the Cotswolds and the car comes into its own. Hell, I've even been considering running it as a company car which means it would be here for 3 years. Watch this space!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Me and my car are still married after going through a rocky patch. I'm now calling it my marmite car. I love a lot of aspects of the car but still hate some. On balance will keep it for a while longer and try to persevere with it. My recent mileage has been a lot of urban driving or pootling around the Cotswolds and the car comes into its own. Hell, I've even been considering running it as a company car which means it would be here for 3 years. Watch this space!

I am not sure you can have the best of both worlds. There is always a trade-off between comfort and handling. I have not driven an NX or IS 300h but to me they sound an interesting car to own.

The trade-off is subjective (which is why "Reviewers" annoy me as there is no specific right and wrong), but for me the F Sport isn't far off - and I would have thought I was someone who veers towards comfort. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 11:10 AM, Ian J. Parsley said:

The trade-off is subjective (which is why "Reviewers" annoy me as there is no specific right and wrong), but for me the F Sport isn't far off - and I would have thought I was someone who veers towards comfort. 

This is interesting Ian, thanks. I'm going to test drive an NX200t F-Sport to see what the difference is. I'm sure I will like the additional performance and conventional drivetrain and it seems I may not mind the sports suspension setup given what you've said. Will then have to convince the dealership that they will sell my 300h far easier than they will their 200t to get the best deal!

On 7/22/2017 at 7:42 AM, Spacewagon52 said:

I am not sure you can have the best of both worlds. There is always a trade-off between comfort and handling. I have not driven an NX or IS 300h but to me they sound an interesting car to own.

Yep agreed. Any car is a compromise. Suspect I'd be much better off as a lottery winner with 4 or 5 cars in my garage to meet all of my driving needs!

• Like 1

It really is subjective. I put the car in Eco about 700 miles ago as a trial and haven't moved it back out aside from to overtake; what that tells you is I don't care about acceleration (actually I often let the adaptive cruise do that for me). 

So what works for me in terms of expectation may not work for everyone. But then it may!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links