Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why no RC 450h?

As per the title I was thinking about this the other day.

Obviously a 450h version of the RC would be significantly quicker than the 300h model but, it would also be quicker and more fuel efficient than the 200t. I think it would bridge the gap nicely between the performance levels of these models and the F version. I see the American RC models are not offered with any hybrid option but they are offered the 3.5 V6 engine in two states of tune (255 and 306 hp respectively) and also the option of 4wd.

Does anyone know if there is a reason why Lexus don't offer a 450h option for this model? I know if Lexus made an RC 450h I would be seriously interested in it. Anyone else?

17 hours ago, Chris111 said:

As per the title I was thinking about this the other day.

Obviously a 450h version of the RC would be significantly quicker than the 300h model but, it would also be quicker and more fuel efficient than the 200t. I think it would bridge the gap nicely between the performance levels of these models and the F version. I see the American RC models are not offered with any hybrid option but they are offered the 3.5 V6 engine in two states of tune (255 and 306 hp respectively) and also the option of 4wd.

Does anyone know if there is a reason why Lexus don't offer a 450h option for this model? I know if Lexus made an RC 450h I would be seriously interested in it. Anyone else?

No demand - petrol is cheap in the US so very few would go for an RC450h over an RC350. 

The UK is a very small market - even the RC300h sells in relatively few numbers so I think they would only shift about 3 RC450h's in a year especially as the price would be around £50k for a good spec

Additionally, when you say fuel efficient, I don't think you really mean that. I think what you actually mean is Tax Efficient which is no longer the case after April 2017 anyway as the RC200t and theoretical RC450h would be paying the same. 

The real question is - why have they not made an RC300h using the 2.0l Turbo in combination with the hybrid pack instead of using the 2.5l inline four

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

The real question is - why have they not made an RC300h using the 2.0l Turbo in combination with the hybrid pack instead of using the 2.5l inline four

I second that... RC300h with the 2.0Turbo + 50bhp shot of Battery power would near 300 bhp easily that would get a lot of interest in Europe for sure. Lexus could even badge it as RC350h. Dont understand why Lexus makes these decisions and example was the IS350, GS350 not sold in Europe but the guzzling IS-F, GS-F are?? were is the sense in that  if the V8's could achieve around 24-25 mpg as stated sure the 350's could do 28-30 mpg? which in my books is not bad for the power output and reliability aspect compared to say Turbo 335 offered by BMW which might be good on MPG but wont be as reliable?  Lexus cliamed they wanted to attract 25-35 year old with the CT but only offered it with a combined output of 135 bhp which is OK for most that dont care about driving dynamics and performance but they sure needed a performance version of the Hatchback CT either a Turbo or 2.5 Hybrid version to rival 1 series, A class and Audi A3's no wonder i see lots of younger buyers flocking to these brands.   

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

Additionally, when you say fuel efficient, I don't think you really mean that. I think what you actually mean is Tax Efficient

With respect I was stating what I thought and that was that a hypothetical 450h would use less fuel than a 200t and, therefore, would be more fuel efficient. I was not stating or wondering anything about the tax charged.

Your reason for a 450h model not being offered is because there is no demand. That's fine. I am just thinking about a hypothetical car and asking for peoples opinions. What I am not asking for is people to tell me what I do or do not mean. If you think differently and ask why this model isn't offered with the engine choice you mention, well, that opens up another angle to my original post and for people to give their opinions on that too.

2 hours ago, Chris111 said:

With respect I was stating what I thought and that was that a hypothetical 450h would use less fuel than a 200t and, therefore, would be more fuel efficient. I was not stating or wondering anything about the tax charged.

Your reason for a 450h model not being offered is because there is no demand. That's fine. I am just thinking about a hypothetical car and asking for peoples opinions. What I am not asking for is people to tell me what I do or do not mean. If you think differently and ask why this model isn't offered with the engine choice you mention, well, that opens up another angle to my original post and for people to give their opinions on that too.

Well yes, hypothetically it'll use less fuel but buyers see past that, hence it would probably get roughly the same, maybe 2-3 mpg more overall but of course, the real benefit is the performance.

Having said that, the new VED bands make it easier for Lexus to introduce an RC350 in the UK as the tax band would be the same across the board unless you go for one of the lower spec cars

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links