Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust heat shield corrosion

pedrofromredro

Had my first Ct about 6 months now.took it to Lexus for a service and few recalls.picks up car to be told of a few issues.one being fuel tank heat shield is loose due to corrosion and is a MOT failure.also a few of the others are starting to corrode on the fixing points since then the heat sheild has given up and fallen on the exhaust and started rattling making the car sound like a old fiesta when driving it 😂😂😂😂I have fixed it up with some large penny washers and ordered a new one.not sure if anybody else has had this problem on there CT 200 my car is nearly 6 years old but I think it's a rubbish build quality for a Lexus 

4 hours ago, pedrofromredro said:

Had my first Ct about 6 months now.took it to Lexus for a service and few recalls.picks up car to be told of a few issues.one being fuel tank heat shield is loose due to corrosion and is a MOT failure.also a few of the others are starting to corrode on the fixing points since then the heat sheild has given up and fallen on the exhaust and started rattling making the car sound like a old fiesta when driving it 😂😂😂😂I have fixed it up with some large penny washers and ordered a new one.not sure if anybody else has had this problem on there CT 200 my car is nearly 6 years old but I think it's a rubbish build quality for a Lexus 

It's a rare occurrence but most likely due to road salt and not washing the underneath during winter. 

May also be a consequence of salty air if you live near the coast. Hence why people never buy a car from near the coast!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stormchaser said:

Interesting. Mines just over 5 years old and look almost perfect. Can't understand why they've corroded so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine looks near perfect mate it's literally corroded around the fixing bolts.well 2 out of the 3 fixing bolts 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ste8270 said:

My wife's CT has done this too, not covered under the extended warranty unfortunately. 

Funny you should say that I contacted Lexus uk about the poor build quality.any way cut along story short they said they wouldn't help out with covering the cost of replacement and that I should of purchased a extended manfactures warranty 😂 pretty pointless really 

Ha! To be fair the warranty is good, but the dealer said as it's part of the exhaust it's not covered, it is pretty poor that I think, it's supposed to be a manufacturer warranty, not exactly wear and tear is it! 

sounds like Lexus are sure " dumbing down " on quality over the years

Mine was " fixed ", after unwarranted corrosion a couple of years ago or so . welded up £30 and after about 19 years .............  the remainder of the exhaust is stainless steel and I'm told " like new "

There's very little incentive to my mind, reading all these Lexus Forum posts, to convince me to buy a more recent Lexus...........  it's SAD

Malc

Interesting. Mines just over 5 years old and look almost perfect. Can't understand why they've corroded so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine looks near perfect mate it's literally corroded around the fixing bolts.well 2 out of the 3 fixing bolts 

Ah ok. I'll re check mine when I can get it on a free ramp.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Malc said:

sounds like Lexus are sure " dumbing down " on quality over the years

Mine was " fixed ", after unwarranted corrosion a couple of years ago or so . welded up £30 and after about 19 years .............  the remainder of the exhaust is stainless steel and I'm told " like new "

There's very little incentive to my mind, reading all these Lexus Forum posts, to convince me to buy a more recent Lexus...........  it's SAD

Malc

Remember that this particular Lexus you speak of has Toyota Prius mechanics underneath.

Additionally, you get maybe 3/4 customers with problems out of thousands or more who own the car. 

Managed to pick up new heat sheild yesterday.borrowed some ramps as I didn't feel safe getting under the car with it being on a trolley jack as you need to get near enough the middle of the car.removed the bracket that supports the heat sheild the nut Was seized.a bit of heat and of it came.straight forward job just a bit frustrating as the heat sheild looks like it's made from the tray you cook the Christmas turkey on 

IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG

IMG_6916.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 10:17 PM, pedrofromredro said:

Funny you should say that I contacted Lexus uk about the poor build quality.any way cut along story short they said they wouldn't help out with covering the cost of replacement and that I should of purchased a extended manfactures warranty 😂 pretty pointless really 

I contacted lexus and was told the extended warranty is not a manufacturer warranty and is an agreement with the dealership directly, they just offered to get the service manager from the dealer to call me. 

I was under the impression the warranty was with lexus, it's advertised on the lexus website and comes with lexus assistance? 

Something for other people to bear in mind. 

• Like 1

I don't think that's true?

My warranty came from one Lexus dealer, and I have used it with a completely different Lexus dealer.

On 6/13/2017 at 10:17 PM, pedrofromredro said:

Funny you should say that I contacted Lexus uk about the poor build quality.any way cut along story short they said they wouldn't help out with covering the cost of replacement and that I should of purchased a extended manfactures warranty 😂 pretty pointless 

Thank you for your recent email regarding your Lexus CT200h.

I was sorry to hear about the fault with your exhaust pipe and that an extended warranty claim relating to this has been rejected. 

I've asked Nigel Cumbes, the Service Manager at Lexus Stockport to contact you regarding the matter, as the extended warranty is not a manufacturer's warranty, but between you and the Lexus dealership. It's also difficult for us to comment on the fault from our head office. 

Thanks again for bringing this matter to our attention. 

Kind regards

Ray 

Ray Lewis
Lexus Customer Services

49 minutes ago, Ste8270 said:

Thank you for your recent email regarding your Lexus CT200h.

I was sorry to hear about the fault with your exhaust pipe and that an extended warranty claim relating to this has been rejected. 

I've asked Nigel Cumbes, the Service Manager at Lexus Stockport to contact you regarding the matter, as the extended warranty is not a manufacturer's warranty, but between you and the Lexus dealership. It's also difficult for us to comment on the fault from our head office. 

Thanks again for bringing this matter to our attention. 

Kind regards

Ray 

Ray Lewis
Lexus Customer Services

Very interesting Ste. Thanks for posting.

The comment from Ray of Lexus Customer Services seems (albeit arguably) to suggest something I have suggested on other threads re Lexus Warranties, namely the value of seeking and maintaining an excellent relationship with the local Lexus Dealership.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Interesting. Perhaps not all warranties are the same. Mine is clearly with Toyota:

Warranty Provider

The Company that provides this Extended Warranty and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it. The Warranty Provider is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division) 

Ste8270 - Are you sure yours is the genuine Lexus extended warranty?  I ask because I bought mine direct from Lexus and not through a dealership, and Lexus Cheltenham tried to sell me a Listers warranty which was more expensive and got a little shirty with me when I said I wanted the Lexus one

• Like 1

Forgot to add - the heat shield is a known issue to my local dealers - I mentioned a rattling noise from the rear and the first thing they suggested was the heat shield and tole me they had seen a few on CT's

• Like 2

this is where the lexus warranty comes from :-

the warranty group
TWG Services Ltd
The Aspen Building, Floor 2, Vantage Point Business Village
Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, GL17 0AF

i know this as this is where i had to try and get a refund after i sold my CT to a lexus dealership

as i found out the warranty isnt a lexus warranty just a 3rd party warranty ,this company deals with

all the other brands aswell honda,nissan to name just 2.

• Like 1

https://www.lexus.co.uk/contact-details

If you look at the contact page on the lexus site you can see that lexus roadside assistance and lexus extended warranty are managed by The warranty group.

I took out a lexus warranty, this is the second warranty we have had on the car, I have just checked the documents and the first warranty does indeed state warranty provider is Toyota, the new one from May states warranty provider is TWG, this must be a decision made by lexus, which I am not happy about at all. Even the dealer confirmed it was the exact same warranty from lexus. 

• Like 1

Just had a look at the terms of the warranty and I will be contacting lexus again as it clearly states that TWG  administer the warranty but the warranty provider is Toyota. Nowhere does it state it's an agreement with the dealer!

I feel lexus customer customer service are just uninterested, I even had to point out that in his reply he refererred to the fault as an exhaust pipe and not a heat shield..

Administrator 
The company that administers this Warranty on behalf of the Warranty Provider. The Administrator is TWG 
Services Limited which has it registered address at Twenty Kingston Road, Staines-Upon-Thames, Surrey, TE18 
4LG

Warranty Provider 
The Company that provides this Extended Warranty and ultimately pays all valid claims made under it. The 
Warranty Provider is Toyota (GB) PLC (Lexus Division) which has its registered office at Great Burgh, Burgh 
Heath, Epsom, Surrey KT18 5UX. 

• Like 1

i bought my warranty for the CT in december 2014 so its been with the TWG for a long time now

then in August 2015 i had to cancel the policy and get a refund as the policy isn't transferable

to a dealership ,they where a right pain where the sun dont shine ,took me 1 month to get a refund.

you are made to feel that it is a proper lexus warranty that you are buying .

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi folks, 

My partners' 2013 CT200 has just gone down with the same problem - corroded heat shield around one of the mounting bolts, allowing it to fall onto exhaust & rattle like a bag of spanners. Ty-rap't it as a temp fix as I couldn't shift the corroded nut, even after WD. She's taking it back to Lexus Sheffield tomorrow, from whom she bought it last 0ctober. They gave her a 12 mth warranty, so we're hoping it'll be covered. Watch this space …….

• 1 month later...

I have a 2012 Lexus CT 200 with 75,000 miles and it is kept in my garage. Each year I have Lexus install snow tires on my car.  I have regular oil changes and related services...and no mechanic saw this issue with the rusting bolts?  Well isn't that a sad story.  One would think the mechanics would be able to see issues like these before they become real problems.

I'm going to see how this turns out with my dealer and see if I will be buying any more Lexus cars.