Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

EGR Valve Cleaned

MadBrit

After reading a lot of comments in here about the EGR valve, I thought it could be the cause of my lack of power problem and the odd warning light.

Below ar the pictures, now cleaned and what a difference, I also put a new air filter and cleaned the MAF sensor, like it was when I first got the car now

Thanks for all your help

MB

IMG_6591.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

• Like 3

Cripes, that's nasty.

Was the valve gunked up too?

Did you clean out the manifold too?

I did a Civic derv a few years back and the EGR valve wasn't as bad as yours. But near to the cylinder head the gunk build up was much thicker.

I'm no mechanic but I managed to clean out my egr valve quite easily with a decent socket set. Took me about an hour to complete the job. 

I didn't soak the egr valve overnight as advised but gave it a good scrubbing with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. 

Mine wasn't as clogged as yours but it made a noticeable difference to pickup and mpg afterwards. 

• Like 1

I was advised not to the manifold off, so i put a good additive in the fuel at each fill up now

I did notice that the erg valve was very slightly open even after a clean, is this normal, or do i need to replace it ?

Thanks

MB

OH and I used a hoover when i cleaned off the manifold part, and i devised a long small flexible tube I bound to the hoover tube to go right into the manifold to pick up any stray parts

MB

That looks all too familiar.  I recommend cleaning every 5000 miles since it seems to get clogged up pretty quickly.  Also, as you know, it is a pretty easy procedure.

The last time I did mine, I also unbolt the EGR motor from the valve so I could push the valve fully open and give it a proper clean.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it should be open?

@is 220d owner recently cleaned his manifold so he would be in a better position to comment, but I am willing to bet that the inside of the inlet manifold is similar, if not worse, than the condition of the EGR Valve.  If it wasn't so tricky to remove, I would be attempting a cleaning of my manifold soon as I bet the car would appreciate it!

• Like 2

Clean that manifold man yours looks alot worse just by looking at that hole.... i did cleaned mine and trust me it feels like a new car no more is220d problems no more any smoke , power is back. Just cleaning egr doesn`t help much.

• Like 1

I'm glad the 220d days are behind me.

Too much trouble with egr and dpf.

The 250 just runs as sweet as a nut with trouble free happy motoring 😊

• 8 months later...

hi I'm desperate bought my is220 last july I've had problems ever since. went into limp mode driving home day I bought it. had the egr replaced with genuine Toyota part. problem is runs fine while engine is cold. as soon as it reaches normal running temp it sort of misses at any speed so long as its cruising speed at same speed sort of juddery? put your foot down to accelerate its fine. also if I have to run round town after a while whiteish smoke comes out the exhaust

• 4 years later...

My 2009 IS220 diesel went into limp home mode last summer, the AA came out and diagnosed the EGR valve as the culprit. He tapped the EGR valve with a copper hammer and reset the ECU to get me on my way. The following weekend I cleaned the EGR valve out. A year on and there have been no further issues. I've documented the process in the linked video, hopefully someone will find this useful, as giving the EGR valve a clean costs next to nothing compared to a replacement EGR valve:

• Like 3

On 8/21/2022 at 9:26 AM, dking22 said:

EGR valve needs to be programmed out and closed. Same for DPF. These two cause major hassle and ruin the car. Get those removed and Its like a different car. No issues getting MOT passed. All ok.

If hg ok or replaced recommend good remap to 200+hp.

Thanks for the advice Max, I have been considering an ECU remap, especially with fuel prices the way they are.

What is "hg"?

Cheers

hg, in this context, is short of Head Gasket.

IS220d's had an inherent flaw that saw a problem with head gaskets failing.  It is less common now as perhaps the problem never developed on the car or it has had the gasket replaced.

Still something to consider if you contemplating increases the power output.

• Like 1