Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a used RX

Tosca

Hi all. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum as am a newbie on here but glad I found the forum as I did have a list of questions about the RX, many of which I have found the answers to here. Hired an RX a month ago and have to say I loved it so am thinking of buying a used one (cannot stretch to a new one mind).

I have a budget of up to £10,000 and I would like some tips on what to look for and what to avoid. being old fashioned and having been driving since shortly after the invention of the Ford model T, I always was of the opinion of obtaining a low mileage second hand vehicle but having just got rid of a BMW 5 series with nearly 200k on the clock I know that anything in the last ten years with over 100k now a days would still have plenty of life in it.

I have had a hunt around in my price range and I have seen high mileage (125k plus) at high prices, low mileage (less than 60k) at low prices and a mixture of both.

I am a little concerned as I hear of issues with air suspension, hybrid battery's and motors amongst other things.

Obviously I would keep some funds back as nothing in life is 100% but some have suggested that a higher mileage (100k+) might be better as by then the cam belt would have been changed. What do I want as part of the spec?

It does not have to be all singing and all dancing defo need it to be automatic I want something with heated seats (me and her indoors need such for the backache of age). Sat Nav would be nice although not fussed about a parking camera (we both know how to park). Fuel consumption and road tax is not so much of an issue for us and being older than God insurance is cheap as chips for us.

Have to say I do like the idea of four wheel drive but am unclear if the RX is always in four wheel drive or just when the onboard computer says it is needed and then what happens if the Battery is low for the rear wheels, does it simply stay in front wheel drive.

Essentially I don't want to have to pay out thousands to replace something that has a history of being a problem as I want to keep this car for a very long time.

I don't really want to buy privately as would prefer some form of "come back" with a basic warranty where possible with a dealer.

Any ideas and pointers would be very grateful.

Thank you.

At 10k you are looking at good to very good 400h's or well used 450h's.

Personally I'd be looking at a 400h SE-L or Executive Ltd Edition with the post 2008 facelift (blue lexus badges) for that money.

The 400h never came with air suspension so you can cross that worry off your list and the SE-L has all the kit you could want including rear entertainment. Some ELE models also have rear entertainment but not all iirc.

Some SE models are specced with everything (usually not rear screens) but you have to be careful as some don;t have seat memory or other refinements that were optional so you have to scour the pictures of the cars rather than rely on the advert to get a proper idea of the trim level.

Hybrid batteries? Sometimes a cell will go out which can cost a few hundred to replace or if you know what you are doing there are web guides to DIY. This is rare though. My 57 RX400h has zero Battery issues after 10 years and has only lost 1 bar of capacity. Really this is not an issue.

Electric motors, probably the most reliable part of a bullet proof car, I don;t think I've ever heard of one dying. 

4wd is at the computers discretion, still fared better in an uphill muddy field in the rain than the jeep cherokee behind me (probably because I was driving slowly but maintaining momentum rather than spinning my wheels like a muppet - my tyres were borderline too ) 

Downsides:

1) I'm a big lad and could do with another few cm's of seat travel and width.

2) No USB or music playback via Bluetooth - this can be remedied for £100 though so not a huge deal - my Iphone 6s pairs for phone calls fine though.

3) Handling is a bit roly poly but then it's a massive 4x4.

ummmm that's it really. Fast, comfy, quiet, spacious, OK off road, 30mpg average with 40+ on a run. Can't think of a better car for me.