Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 CD player not working.

Heya Ive just purchased a lovely rx300 2004. But the CD player is not working. The radio works fine but when you press load it says wait and then nothing happens the radio just carries on playing and there is no responce when you press cd or tape.

does anyone know what the problem might be and if it's a repair or replacement type of job.

im thinking the simplest option would be to get a second hand unit that I could get fitted. If I take this option how easy is it to remove the cd unit, could I do it myself or should I get a technician on it? On the same wavelength would a cd unit from a rx350 fit ok (thinking a newer model may have less issues) and if mine has the mark Levison system can I swap it for a normal system. 

Any help would be appreciated 

13 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

Heya Ive just purchased a lovely rx300 2004. But the CD player is not working. The radio works fine but when you press load it says wait and then nothing happens the radio just carries on playing and there is no responce when you press cd or tape.

does anyone know what the problem might be and if it's a repair or replacement type of job.

im thinking the simplest option would be to get a second hand unit that I could get fitted. If I take this option how easy is it to remove the cd unit, could I do it myself or should I get a technician on it? On the same wavelength would a cd unit from a rx350 fit ok (thinking a newer model may have less issues) and if mine has the mark Levison system can I swap it for a normal system. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Yes an RX350 unit will fit fine. Standard unit should fit fine as well as the ML is just speakers and amp, nothing to do with centre console. 

Should be fairly easy to remove and fit yourself. You only need the bottom portion

Plenty of youtube videos showing how to do it

It doesn't even attempt to do anything. It doesn't open the slot? No response from it other than when you press load it says wait briefly then returns to the radio screen. I've seen an rx350 one for a bargain so I'm gna order it and give it a go. 

12 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

It doesn't even attempt to do anything. It doesn't open the slot? No response from it other than when you press load it says wait briefly then returns to the radio screen. I've seen an rx350 one for a bargain so I'm gna order it and give it a go. 

Should be fairly easily. By the looks of things just a few trim pieces need removing and some screws (I suspect these are torx bit) and then just yank. Remove the wires at the back and then just attach to the new unit.

There might be a CD stuck inside unclip the gearstick surround unclip the panel with the cigar lighter you will find 4 10 mm bolts undo them take out the unit give it a violent shake then pop it back in and try it might have to repeat it once or twice if that fails pop a second hand one in 

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try I'll order this unit as it's only £89 and I knoecked £200 off the price of the car for this fault. So I think it's worth a shot. A garage quoted me £150 to change the unit with me supplying it lol. That video looks fairly straightforward to me. I changed the main screen on my civic it looked more complex than that. I just hope it will fit ok now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickyt211 said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try I'll order this unit as it's only £89 and I knoecked £200 off the price of the car for this fault. So I think it's worth a shot. A garage quoted me £150 to change the unit with me supplying it lol. That video looks fairly straightforward to me. I changed the main screen on my civic it looked more complex than that. I just hope it will fit ok now 

Will fit fine. Even 400h ones are the same lower unit

Here's an update this is the unit I got off eBay. It fits fine and has successfully loaded and plays my cds 😃 It wasn't even difficult to do myself thanks to that video. Your help has been invaluable guys. The great thing is this unit has MP3 compatibility as it's from an 2007 rx350.

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

Here's an update this is the unit I got off eBay. It fits fine and has successfully loaded and plays my cds 😃 It wasn't even difficult to do myself thanks to that video. Your help has been invaluable guys. The great thing is this unit has MP3 compatibility as it's from an 2007 rx350.

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

A good outcome then and a bonus with the MP3 working. 

Looks a great car as well but does need the ride height sorting IMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

I will look into it, I'm not sure how to adjust the coil overs myself. But I will be booking it in for a cambelt soon so will have it looked at then. 

Should be fairly simple to do for mechanics - they do it all the time. 

The front looks lower than the back in the pics - is that true in reality or is it just the way the photo is angled?

I'd also be inclined to get the camber checked. On the pic of the passenger side, the car looks to have excessive negative camber front and back - you'll go through tyres pretty quickly if that is the case

• Like 1

I think the camber is ok, it might just be the photo. The tyres on the back are dated 2009 and have decent tread still, with even wear across the tread. I think it may be slightly lower on the front too but should be straightforward with the adjustable coils. I'd just rather not mess with that stuff myself so will have to wait for the mechanic to sort it. 

Do you have any advice on the sat nav anyone? 

On 2017-6-26 at 9:37 PM, Nickyt211 said:

I think the camber is ok, it might just be the photo. The tyres on the back are dated 2009 and have decent tread still, with even wear across the tread. I think it may be slightly lower on the front too but should be straightforward with the adjustable coils. I'd just rather not mess with that stuff myself so will have to wait for the mechanic to sort it. 

Do you have any advice on the sat nav anyone? 

What's wrong with the nav?

It works fine it's just dated. The disk I have is from 2004 so I wanted to get a newer disk without having to buy one from lexus. I think my nav is generation 1. I've looked at disks on eBay but I don't know which ones will work on mine. 

6 hours ago, Nickyt211 said:

It works fine it's just dated. The disk I have is from 2004 so I wanted to get a newer disk without having to buy one from lexus. I think my nav is generation 1. I've looked at disks on eBay but I don't know which ones will work on mine. 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=332283738554&category=139837&pm=1&ds=0&t=1498686369062&cspheader=1

I think the above might work. Take your current disc out and send the number to the seller and they'll check for you

• 2 weeks later...

You're giving yourself grief and heartache over something that's never going to be great and will always bo old and clunky anyway Nicky - remember the old saying "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear". Just use your TomTom when necessary and leave the inbuilt nav as it is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi ive got the same problem i had a word with a helpful chap at our local lexus dealer. He says that so long as the new disc is genuine lexus the software will update all the maps etc, but the operating methods will remain the same. He also said if you were thinking of the latest disc to wait until October as the new models will be out September and the new disc usually follows about a month later. A new disc costs about £106 i think thats ex vat. 

I also have similar issues with my cd player does the one you got have Bluetooth and aux, etc

Cheers 

• Like 1

Hello from what I found out my sat nav is generation 1 which means it won't update to the most current software 2017 anyway. I'm just leaving it for the meantime unless an update disk pops up at the right price. I did try a copy disk but it made the whole nav system really slow so I couldn't use it. 

Now brace yourself for an essay- 

With regards to the CD player. No mine didn't have aux it is the mark levison system, but I have an update. After I changed the broken one in the car for the one off eBay which seemingly worked fine after 2 weeks it also began to say Error 4 which was strange so I sent it back for a refund and replaced it with my original system. I looked into it further and found that the error 4 message is the sign of a mechanical failure in the disk changer itself. So I tried the trick posted on the forum of holding the radio power button and the eject button at the sae time as turning the key. And hey presto it made some funny noises then opened the load disk :) then I loaded a disk and it works lol. 

My theory is if it's a fault in the multi changer then if I only use one disk at a time it will be ok and I haven't had any trouble since (fingers crossed) 

• Like 2

Hi Nicky have tried yr hack and it seems to have cleared my error 4 message even though  i had no more discs in and its now operating normally! I got brave and tried 2 discs, it worked fine too! Still need to try on a long journey and see how it works once it gets hot but so far so good. Thanks for passing that on and thanks to whoever posted it originally!

Now to sort this sat nav.......  

• Like 1