Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

insurance hike

It's that time of year when I look for insurance renewals.

I look at comparison sites first and then go direct to insurers websites.

What has shocked me is that last year I paid £410 for my NX 200t F-Sport and this year I am looking at £850 to £950.  I have had no issues or claims and I am selecting a like for like policy and excess.  Has the UK economy degraded that much that the increase in premiums is more than the policy its self?

One key thing I look for is the reputation of the provider.  Will the mess me around in the event of a claim and try to worm out of paying up or are they fair and reasonable?  Has anyone recently bought insurance from one of the "reputable" (I say reputable but we know they are a cartel) household named insurers at a decent price, especially for a 200t?

I always use comparethemarket.com and I have always found competitive prices. I recently renewed the insurance for our RX and found that the price dropped switching to a different supplier rather than using my previous insurer. What I like with this particular website (it very well may be the same with other comparison sites) is that once you are registered, your details stay in there so that you don't have to start all over from scratch at renewal time.

Assuming that you have checked that all your details have been entered correctly, my only comment is that there has been an increase in the number of claims from NX200t owners and that the car has become a "high risk" model. Or possibly that there has been an increase in crime in your postcode area :-/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sybaris said:

It's that time of year when I look for insurance renewals.

I look at comparison sites first and then go direct to insurers websites.

What has shocked me is that last year I paid £410 for my NX 200t F-Sport and this year I am looking at £850 to £950.  I have had no issues or claims and I am selecting a like for like policy and excess.  Has the UK economy degraded that much that the increase in premiums is more than the policy its self?

One key thing I look for is the reputation of the provider.  Will the mess me around in the event of a claim and try to worm out of paying up or are they fair and reasonable?  Has anyone recently bought insurance from one of the "reputable" (I say reputable but we know they are a cartel) household named insurers at a decent price, especially for a 200t?

Firstly, most insurers are as bad as each other - therefore, I would recommend sticking to the cheapest providing its a company you've heard of.

In the event of an write off, value is from the book anyway and therefore, these are unlikely to differ much between insurers. Additionally, most policies are pretty much the same when getting to the nitty gritty small print

I dont think it has anything to do with the economy. There are a number of external factors which you cannot control such as car thefts in the area, number of accidents from people with the same postcode as you and also number of claims of people who are your age. Its never just about the car and the owner.

One of the best pieces of advise I can give you is to ring your insurer after renewal and haggle with them. Also haggle with other insurers after getting a comparison site quote

I would also recommend calling brokers such as Chris Knott and Brentacre - they have greater flexibility in discounting premiums.

For reference - I paid £756 for my RX450h and IS300h last year on a multicar policy with Admiral. My renewal was £897. They were the cheapest anyway but I phoned them up regardless and they instantly knocked nearly £150 off after asking the same old BS questions to which all answers remained the same. 

Also, Im in the process of changing my car - Ive been quoted £85 - that includes a £25 admin fee for the new car for 6 months so hardly bad considering the car is valued at more than double mine.

Thanks so far.

I can understand a slight increase, however not this kind of increase.  This is a single car.  Elephant and Admiral both around the £880 mark.

Last year I paid £410 for my NX 200t fully comp.  I am not a young driver and have to date a good history.

Suddenly the policy prices have risen to £650 (cheapest - Direct Line) then everyone else is pricing at £850 and up in to the thousands.  The Post Office quoted me £4425 for an identical policy.  Lexus have come in at £750.  Something can't be right.  I do wonder if something has gone on to the national insurance database incorrectly and is shooting the price up.  

Insurance due at the end of this month. Have used Swintons brokers for the last four years and always been happy. Last year I paid £385, renewal quote for this year is £756  :angry:

Cheapest quote so far is with Ageas through a company called A-Plan based in Wilmslow at £411.92

That's for fully comp, 59 years old, full NCD etc.

2 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Thanks so far.

I can understand a slight increase, however not this kind of increase.  This is a single car.  Elephant and Admiral both around the £880 mark.

Last year I paid £410 for my NX 200t fully comp.  I am not a young driver and have to date a good history.

Suddenly the policy prices have risen to £650 (cheapest - Direct Line) then everyone else is pricing at £850 and up in to the thousands.  The Post Office quoted me £4425 for an identical policy.  Lexus have come in at £750.  Something can't be right.  I do wonder if something has gone on to the national insurance database incorrectly and is shooting the price up.  

Who did you have the £410 with? Have they provided a renewal quote? Usually comes in the last 10 days or so. 

TBH with everything thats been happening in London at the minute - I wouldnt be surprised if the car insurance prices have hiked!

Got Direct Line down to £480 and LV down to £620.  Lexus insurance still over £700 if I went with them.

£410 was last year with Elephant.

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Got Direct Line down to £480 and LV down to £620.  Lexus insurance still over £700 if I went with them.

£410 was last year with Elephant.

Lexus insurance is always more expensive than others. No reason to go for them either.

I paid £198 for my CLS55 and a week after renewing my insurance I part-exchanged it for my new RC. Direct Line refunded £20 on the year's premium.

It'll be interesting what this year's renewal comes in at. That said I've been with Direct Line almost 20yrs and have never felt the need to change, their renewal quotes have never been far off those I could find on comparison sites..

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I paid £198 for my CLS55 and a week after renewing my insurance I part-exchanged it for my new RC. Direct Line refunded £20 on the year's premium.

It'll be interesting what this year's renewal comes in at. That said I've been with Direct Line almost 20yrs and have never felt the need to change, their renewal quotes have never been far off those I could find on comparison sites..

Direct line seem hit and miss - they do great deals for some and awful for others - mine has been £1500+ consistently. Aviva is even worse

18 hours ago, Capitalmagpie said:

I paid £271 with Privilege Insurance.

I am however old and Capt Slow.

...and yours is the 300h... not the 200T...