Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back on topic, I'd suggest the issue is that the LS hardly sells at all any more so you hardly ever see one.

As against 586 UK sales ten years ago, it now sells at just one a month (and has done since end 2015). That's the outgoing model of course, but it is startling. 

I hope the new model goes some way to improving matters, of course!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

I hope the new model goes some way to improving matters, of course!

Do you mean the LS500 H?

One big sales prob lexus came up against right at the begining was that they aimed for the exec market which was held by merc & had been for a long, long time.

Now that brings up the actual ownership question of exec cars. Here in London the VAST, VAST majority of merc s class exec cars are owned by executive private hire owners & have been for many years. Now, mercedes have a deal with those drivers, I am not sure exactly what 'cause Ive forgotten but it is something along the lines that those drivers can change to new S merc every 3 years & get a special deal or some beneficial deal on the next new car or on the outgoing 3 year old one........I simply cannot remember the exact details but there is a deal amongst those private executive hire drivers & mercedes.

Lexus on the other hand simply sell the LS series deal done & finished with. I think a sensible question would be how many s class mercs are actually owned by private individuals from new, probably not as many as can be seen on the roads because a fairly high % would have been used as executive hire vehicles. That info is from an exec, merc, owner driver who told me his private preference was Lexus

• Like 1

One of the things that attracts me to Lexus is it started at the top and moved downwards. Rightly or wrongly, you get the distinct feeling that luxury and quality are bywords throughout the brand - you probably wouldn't get that distinct feeling had they started with a 3-series rival. 

Another reason I'd love to see more LS about - even though I'll never be near having one myself :)

• 1 month later...

My Scottish Road Trip starts tomorrow morning ..........  325 miles to South Shields first day then to Edinburgh and staying second night in Stirling ............... then the big adventure around Scotland really starts before heading back to reach home on Sunday 10th September and maybe some 3000 miles covered.

I don't doubt Lexii will perform quite as usual and give us an amazing Trip :biggrin:

Malc

then to plan for the India trip maybe early next year ...  or later 2018

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bluesman said:

I have had my LS400  8 years now and I still look forward to getting into her and going for a drive. I have never had that with any other car I have ever owned.

My exact sentiments. I don't want the journey to end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:
7 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

You lucky fella!

"Lucky"????.....but he implied he would go to S Shields! .....even Genghis Khan avoided that place:yes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluesman said:

I have had my LS400  8 years now and I still look forward to getting into her and going for a drive. I have never had that with any other car I have ever owned.

I'm exactly the same, and any excuse to drive will do.  I've had so many cars since I passed my test in 1972 but none have given the same pleasure.  My Volvo was a 40k car when new, and still only done 48k miles, a multitude of bells and whistles, lovely to drive, but an LS it's not!  Very practical with a dog though.

• 3 weeks later...

well there we are then ... 2435 miles done and averaging 29.5 mpg and that's taken at the 1550 miles mark  ..........  M'way and those dogged single track west coast roads and all over Scotland and back to Kent

Fantastic journey, Lexus was and continues to be BRILLIANT .........................................

Definitely far more visitors on the roads in Scotland than 5 years ago and some pressure to find last minute accommodation ............. and I was remembering my first same trip about 30 years ago and I think then I was about the only tourist doing the self same trip.

All the simple cafes have turned into gastropubs and bistros and searching for something ordinary and simple to eat was a big big challenge :wacko:

Brilliant brilliant trip and next time we go i guess it will be pre-booked accommodation and sadly that will take much of the adventure out of it ...  and of course the volume of other tourists might just end up spoiling the whole event anyway.

So many German and Dutch visitors particularly ......  and not another Ls400 and definitely the oldest car in the whole of the kingdom :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 2

@Malc Bit of a coincidence. Just back from the Highlands 2 days ago and I recall the navigator remarking on the appearance of an LS400 somewhere on the NC500 route but we can't remember where. I wonder if it was you? Stayed in Stirling the day before you. Based in a cottage near Ullapool for a week thereafter and then another a few miles South of Inverness for the next week. We are frequent visitors and find it works best for us with a base to go back to.

In another thread I was discussing with Phil @The-Acre  that the LS (in my case previously a silver 430) is the perfect car to do the trip in. The best time is late September to early October when the roads are quieter.  I was slumming it in the SC430 this time, it's a great car but nothing beats an LS for a long journey. I really miss the LS but despite trying a few in recent months of searching for a new carriage, I haven't quite fallen for the LS460/600 yet. I'm convinced the LS400 was the best built and curiously had the best sound system so I would say in most respects, class leading in its day and continuing to prove just how well built they were. 

P.S. Add the Canadian Rockies/Yukon/Alaska Highway to your bucket list of awesome tours.

@nickd there was a request for pictures earlier,  the nearest pics I took to Plockton (lovely place) was a few miles further North in the Torridon Hills after climbing the Bealach-Na-Ba.

This is definitely a place to own a reliable vehicle but a convertible is perhaps being a little optimistic.85005.jpg.5251ba914600f728949c740139b1bc38.jpg85006.jpg.2198b25c20f8112fc26b50a6c3d69d97.jpg85007.jpg.66e1f9b6f7cf5455228b79ee17095f24.jpg

• Like 1

there was definitely no other Ls400 in the whole of Scotland so it must have been me :whistling1: ...........  or they were all hiding

Plockton was on the run ( quite delightful ) Cocoa Mountain for hot chocolate at Durness and along to Thurso ( my how sad this is now with those town centre regal late 1800s buildings more or less totally redundant ) and i guess killed off by the new Lidl and Tesco ...  John O'Groats now more user friendly than before ( free parking and no charge to use the " signpost " to take piccys  ! )

We had afternoon tea with the Queen Mother at Castle Mey, well, tea in the Tea Rooms anyway .........  and just a most fantastic adventure with largely brilliant weather and very few midges.

Even the coffee shops at Ullapool seem to have gone " upmarket " but what a magnificent and spectacular awe inspiring drive overall.

It's a secret so don't tell anyone ............... BUT the drive in the sunshine back along from the SYHA up towards Gairloch village, looking across the loch is probably one of the best views in the world imho

Just simply fabulous .... all of it ...............  :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 2

Sounds like a great drive. I've loved taking my Soarer on the roads up there but next trip it will definitely be the LS400. Quite pleased to hear that the team rooms have gone upmarket; used to be impossible to get a proper coffee.

It seems we missed the opportunity for a Highland mini meet.

I didn't find the roads were too clogged with fellow tourists but I did manage to get delayed by the air ambulance for a while following an accident involving a Porsche and 2 lady motorcyclists near Inchnadampf.  In the second week, I spent some time in the Cairngorms, the A939 is another favourite.

15 hours ago, Verbout said:

Just got back from doing the NC 500, spent a week touring. Stunning, I'd go back and do it tomorrow.

@Verbout Couldn't agree more.

On one of the days I left Letters near Ullapool early in the morning to go to work at an office we have not far from the Castle of Mey. Taking the coast road North to make it into a circular tour to J O G  returning via the A99 and A9 almost back to Inverness before heading back West. 324 miles, I was back in time for tea at Loch Broom with the Mrs but the drive was so enjoyable, I was ready to do a second lap.

They are still a rare sight, but I saw more Lexus vehicles on this trip than I've ever seen before in the Highlands. Only one LS was spotted so it must have been you Malc, :yes: I just can't remember where it was. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2017 at 0:41 AM, Neil E said:

@Malc Bit of a coincidence. Just back from the Highlands 2 days ago and I recall the navigator remarking on the appearance of an LS400 somewhere on the NC500 route but we can't remember where. I wonder if it was you? Stayed in Stirling the day before you. Based in a cottage near Ullapool for a week thereafter and then another a few miles South of Inverness for the next week. We are frequent visitors and find it works best for us with a base to go back to.

In another thread I was discussing with Phil @The-Acre  that the LS (in my case previously a silver 430) is the perfect car to do the trip in. The best time is late September to early October when the roads are quieter.  I was slumming it in the SC430 this time, it's a great car but nothing beats an LS for a long journey. I really miss the LS but despite trying a few in recent months of searching for a new carriage, I haven't quite fallen for the LS460/600 yet. I'm convinced the LS400 was the best built and curiously had the best sound system so I would say in most respects, class leading in its day and continuing to prove just how well built they were. 

P.S. Add the Canadian Rockies/Yukon/Alaska Highway to your bucket list of awesome tours.

@nickd there was a request for pictures earlier,  the nearest pics I took to Plockton (lovely place) was a few miles further North in the Torridon Hills after climbing the Bealach-Na-Ba.

This is definitely a place to own a reliable vehicle but a convertible is perhaps being a little optimistic.85005.jpg.5251ba914600f728949c740139b1bc38.jpg85006.jpg.2198b25c20f8112fc26b50a6c3d69d97.jpg85007.jpg.66e1f9b6f7cf5455228b79ee17095f24.jpg

On 11/09/2017 at 9:38 PM, Malc said:

well there we are then ... 2435 miles done and averaging 29.5 mpg and that's taken at the 1550 miles mark  ..........  M'way and those dogged single track west coast roads and all over Scotland and back to Kent

Fantastic journey, Lexus was and continues to be BRILLIANT .........................................

Definitely far more visitors on the roads in Scotland than 5 years ago and some pressure to find last minute accommodation ............. and I was remembering my first same trip about 30 years ago and I think then I was about the only tourist doing the self same trip.

All the simple cafes have turned into gastropubs and bistros and searching for something ordinary and simple to eat was a big big challenge :wacko:

Brilliant brilliant trip and next time we go i guess it will be pre-booked accommodation and sadly that will take much of the adventure out of it ...  and of course the volume of other tourists might just end up spoiling the whole event anyway.

So many German and Dutch visitors particularly ......  and not another Ls400 and definitely the oldest car in the whole of the kingdom :yahoo:

Malc

Sounds amazing Malc, did you also go over the pass to apple Cross?  I did once but covered in mist!  I'm a huge Wickerman fan and Plockton is in the first 15 minutes or so of the film.  I look forward to going to the west coat soon.

Edited by nickd
grammar

Applecross, no we missed that out, I hadn't realised it was so spectacular .......  do it next time around ( coz there WILL be another trip god willing ) BUT I do remember passing thru' Torridon itself.

Just an overall fantastic trip and even a month wouldn't have given near enough time to complete a proper adventure of Scotland  :whistling1: 

There are so many new roads built and even many coaches are now on those and attempting the narrow single track roads along the west coast and that really is challenging for ordinary motorists.

More and more tourists bring wealth to Scottish outposts I'm sure but it does take away the adventure and idyll ambience that " used to be "

Cest le Vie

Malc

• Like 2

We went right up as far as Loch Ewe, last August, to see where my father in law set off from, as part of the Atlantic convoy.

Beautiful area, and they had a little museum there and a monument to those who lost their lives, very moving, and even more so for my wife and her brother.

We set off, in two motorhomes, from Yorkshire, early evening, so by 11.00 pm, we were ready for sleeping.

We pulled in to a garage, filled up with diesel and asked the woman on the till, if there was anywhere near that was suitable for stopping overnight.

We were pleasantly surprised, when she pointed to a quiet spot behind the garage, and gave us permission to park there.

What a difference to the rest of the UK, where motorhomes are actively discouraged.

Anyway, we had a great week on fantastic roads, with breathtaking scenery, excellent campsites, right alongside the lochs and a lovely welcome wherever we went, thoroughly recommend the place.

• Like 2

On 13/09/2017 at 11:57 AM, mikeyv said:

We went right up as far as Loch Ewe, last August, to see where my father in law set off from, as part of the Atlantic convoy.

Beautiful area, and they had a little museum there and a monument to those who lost their lives, very moving, and even more so for my wife and her brother.

We set off, in two motorhomes, from Yorkshire, early evening, so by 11.00 pm, we were ready for sleeping.

We pulled in to a garage, filled up with diesel and asked the woman on the till, if there was anywhere near that was suitable for stopping overnight.

We were pleasantly surprised, when she pointed to a quiet spot behind the garage, and gave us permission to park there.

What a difference to the rest of the UK, where motorhomes are actively discouraged.

Anyway, we had a great week on fantastic roads, with breathtaking scenery, excellent campsites, right alongside the lochs and a lovely welcome wherever we went, thoroughly recommend the place.

Sorry, senior moment, it wasn't Atlantic convoy, but Arctic convoy.

• 6 months later...
On 25/08/2017 at 8:35 PM, Malc said:

then to plan for the India trip maybe early next year ...  or later 2018

Hey guys, thought I'd quickly revive this ......

Well, had another month in India, started off at my office in Delhi then flew down to Trivandrum and had 3 weeks touring Kerala.

Just fabulous and covered one of my bucket list ...........  visiting a Tea Plantation .......  Munnar area just STUNNING ............  the tea growing areas of the south of India, just amazing

I shan't dwell on the utter fabulousnes of my trip BUT I would say that I don't think I shall be planning a road trip around India.

Our driver was great, the Toyota car was great but i was totally on edge the whole journeying ......  a calm, collected,  great experienced ( ex ambulance ) driver tried

to make it all peace and quiet but the challenging roads and other drivers made much of the journey " hell ".

I would do Kerala again by car and driver for a limited time.

On a prior trip we went to Shimla by car and that was about the same challenging journeying.

Mumbai driving is far better than in Delhi BUT oh so not to be repeated too often.

Even though I am beginning to actually love India and all it beholds.

BUT the suggested road trip for 3 months ...............  or even a month trying to get around India,  is no longer on the cards. My sanity and being on those roads ...........  I couldn't take it ! :unsure: 

Malc

On 4/10/2018 at 9:46 AM, Malc said:

Hey guys, thought I'd quickly revive this ......

Well, had another month in India, started off at my office in Delhi then flew down to Trivandrum and had 3 weeks touring Kerala.

Just fabulous and covered one of my bucket list ...........  visiting a Tea Plantation .......  Munnar area just STUNNING ............  the tea growing areas of the south of India, just amazing

I shan't dwell on the utter fabulousnes of my trip BUT I would say that I don't think I shall be planning a road trip around India.

Our driver was great, the Toyota car was great but i was totally on edge the whole journeying ......  a calm, collected,  great experienced ( ex ambulance ) driver tried

to make it all peace and quiet but the challenging roads and other drivers made much of the journey " hell ".

I would do Kerala again by car and driver for a limited time.

On a prior trip we went to Shimla by car and that was about the same challenging journeying.

Mumbai driving is far better than in Delhi BUT oh so not to be repeated too often.

Even though I am beginning to actually love India and all it beholds.

BUT the suggested road trip for 3 months ...............  or even a month trying to get around India,  is no longer on the cards. My sanity and being on those roads ...........  I couldn't take it ! :unsure: 

Malc

NOW THERE SPEAKS A WISE MAN.

I use my LS 400 very little nowadays, preferring my Octavia 1.9 tdi as a workhorse /local hack. However, I took a rare day off today and had a day trip with the family and two dogs to Scarborough, total driving time of over 4.5 hours in the Lexus.I have today been reminded again that if I sell the Lexus, and I have been considering it due to lack of use, what on earth do I replace it with? I am always looking at cars and  I can afford something very nice if I do decide to replace the 400,. I kept eyeing up various cars on the road trip. I can honestly say that I did not envy any other driver, or lust after any other car, because I did not see anything I considered better, including Range Rovers. I saw a nice BMW 335D, but had a BMW 33oD from new, which cost £5000 in repair bills before it was two years old, under guarantee fortunately. Plus, it does not have the "luxury " of a spare wheel, and runflats are a disastrous idea in my view.My car has only 67000 miles on the clock and although it is 20 next year, I had utter confidence that it would reliably get us to the coast and back, in almost complete silence, and in great comfort. It's barely moved for months but never missed a beat. The trip was so much easier and more pleasant than in an "ordinary" car, and all was serene, even in the inevitable occasional traffic jam, which usually stress me out. My Octavia is a good car, but cars like the Lexus make a difference to the whole experience of driving on modern roads, in modern traffic, they just do.

The dogs also approved, and slept most of the time. Even with mpg just the wrong side of 30 mpg (very hilly roads across the Wolds), based on what the car cost me,in terms of overall economy / cost of ownership, nothing comes close. The LS 400 does fall down on techie stuff, such as Bluetooth, infotainment system, cameras etc, which many reviewers now seem to focus on, rather than the things that really matter, like reliability, ride comfort, refinement etc. Blind spot monitors are nice, but I have mirrors, and am blessed with a neck that seems designed to swivel, to check for traffic in my blind spot.

I agre that the LS 400 was a top car in its day. In my opinion, it still is.

• Like 1