Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quality of the boot carpet in IS 300H

I have noticed that the boot carpet is not very close knit, thus when you clean it there is a tendency for the carpet surface to become very whispy. Has anyone else noticed this?

4 hours ago, ikeja said:

I have noticed that the boot carpet is not very close knit, thus when you clean it there is a tendency for the carpet surface to become very whispy. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes noticed it in my GS.  My previous IS had the Lexus boot protector I may get one for the GS but out of sight out of mind..................

As suggested by Edwardo, the boot-liner keeps wear to the carpeting out of sight and out of mind - and, of course, prevents it if you fit

one when the car is new.  The trouble, especially if you also have a horizontal luggage-net, is the loss of easy access to the excessively

shallow but not entirely useless storage tray underneath.  In fact, I've completely forgotten what I've got in it.  I used to effectively reduce

or remove the patches of wispiness in the boot-carpeting of the IS300h I previously had with a battery-powered lint-remover/defuzzer of

the type you can buy for a few £s online or at your nearest friendly Chinese emporium.   And, if you are obsessive about such things, you

might even use the device for its proper purpose and restore the bits of your favourite woolly jumper that get rubbed by the seat-belt.

What do you clean it with? 

There's a way to clean it to prevent "wispiness" so to speak and I certainly haven't had any issues with the carpet in the boot - seems very similiar to the ones on other £30k vehicles

Admittedly, my RX has much better quality carpet but then again, its more expensive.

14 hours ago, rayaans said:

What do you clean it with? .... etc.

Never spilled anything liquid or sticky so nothing but routine vacuuming was needed to keep the boot clean.  The problem was areas

of wispiness where the pile was raised by rubbing against something rough and hard, e.g. luggage strips with buckles or similar.  Although

I should have known better, the worst culprits were a small first-aid box and a utility pouch containing cloths etc. which I attached to the

boot walls with strips of Velcro provided by the manufacturers.  Whenever I relocated them, the ripping sound was enough to make your

toe-nails curl, and of course they left tracks of the aforementioned wispiness.  And yet I never found a more effective way of securing

such items.

3 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Never spilled anything liquid or sticky so nothing but routine vacuuming was needed to keep the boot clean.  The problem was areas

of wispiness where the pile was raised by rubbing against something rough and hard, e.g. luggage strips with buckles or similar.  Although

I should have known better, the worst culprits were a small first-aid box and a utility pouch containing cloths etc. which I attached to the

boot walls with strips of Velcro provided by the manufacturers.  Whenever I relocated them, the ripping sound was enough to make your

toe-nails curl, and of course they left tracks of the aforementioned wispiness.  And yet I never found a more effective way of securing

such items.

Ive only ever cleaned with an extractor and shampoo or routinely with a crevice tool on the vacuum. No wispiness but even then, I don't think it would bother me as its in a place where I couldn't really care less.

Just normal cleaning with the crevice tool and vacuum cleaner. Yes, the boot carpet is not open to view, but I stand by my comment that it is a cheap carpet in what is described as a luxury car!