Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaving -But not going far!

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

I've checked and the outside is 100% glass. The Lexus trademark and security etching are acid etched into the surface. 

it will be on the inside then. 

Lexus didn't offer factory fit tinted windows on the GS Luxury

45 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Definitely no film on the inside. The dealer did say the tints were factory fitted and they supplied the car from new so it will remain a mystery. 

I think they're just telling you what you want to be told to be honest.

Easiest method is to check your VIN on a Lexus vin decoder and if thats not showing it up, then its not from factory.

Other method is to verify your car on the portal and see whether there's any record of work being done to the glass

I can't get full access to the portal yet as I haven't got the V5 and it is required to verify ownership. The car is on there with a private plate not the current number. I am hoping to get the V5 soon so I can put my plate on. 

14 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I can't get full access to the portal yet as I haven't got the V5 and it is required to verify ownership. The car is on there with a private plate not the current number. I am hoping to get the V5 soon so I can put my plate on. 

Ah yes, Lexus Cheltenham and they're private plate issues! I'd know because I bought my 4RX from them!

Yes, they basically make you take your number plate off and then assign it after the V5 comes in your name and basically tell you lies that "It cant be done"

Well it can be done as I soon found out yesterday from my local dealer. Basically they're supposed to take the plate off using the online system and keep the online reference number - then they assign it to the car in their name which is instant, wait for the V5 to come through in their name (3 working days) and then use the online system to change the keeper so you can drive off with your plates on!

I wasn't happy with their P/X prices either - they came in lowest by £1.5k but they're car was cheaper for the same spec so it worked out better for me in the end.

Few issues with the preparation of the car as well - they told me it was in excellent condition - well, not in my books, had some door edge chips which had not been touched in (the most basic of skills) and a big stonechip on the front bumper not done (luckily the only stonechip on the car!) and bird poo etching which I had to remove myself.

Essentially - when you're being pampered by your local dealer, Cheltenham feel like any other dealer 

Moral of the story - dont believe everything they tell you!

18 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Moral of the story - dont believe everything they tell you!

Well said & true for any car dealer no matter how expensive a suit the salesman has or how smart the showroom is.

My next service at Lexus is going to be £450 for, ignoring inspecting things, an oil change and maybe new brake fluid.  Robbery imho.

I may well not bother and go to an independent. 

All they do is drive it into the Toyota workshop. My local Toyota dealer didn't say no when I asked if they would service the Lexus so may use them.

If you want to treat your GS to a present I recommend a set of illuminated tread plates. They look superb. I ordered them from the USA for much less than Lexus UK wanted even after paying customs duty. Easy to fit yourself to.

Ed:yes:

I was a bit worried this morning as dvla shows my car is untaxed. I rang Cheltenham Lexus who confirmed they taxed it. Apparently I'm the 2nd customer this week who's car is showing untaxed. 

The best garage I've dealt with is a family run Fiat dealership in Tutshill. My wife is on her second fiat 500 from there bought last month. Immaculate preparation and plate transfer. I used to go there with my alfa for servicing as it was about £100 service Cheaper than alfa and the service stamp was from a franchise. 

2 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I was a bit worried this morning as dvla shows my car is untaxed. I rang Cheltenham Lexus who confirmed they taxed it. Apparently I'm the 2nd customer this week who's car is showing untaxed. 

The DVLA system is instant so I don't know how it can show that its untaxed a while after collection.

Cheltenham gave me proof of tax - did they not give you this?

9 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

The best garage I've dealt with is a family run Fiat dealership in Tutshill. My wife is on her second fiat 500 from there bought last month. Immaculate preparation and plate transfer. I used to go there with my alfa for servicing as it was about £100 service Cheaper than alfa and the service stamp was from a franchise. 

The DVLA system is instant so I don't know how it can show that its untaxed a while after collection.

Cheltenham gave me proof of tax - did they not give you this?

How was the preparation of your vehicle? 

Im still surprised that I havent seen the road tax from my previous car back yet despite Lexus Cheltenham having it since Friday last week

Preparation was OK. Car clearly had been extremely well looked after from new and interior is immaculate. The preparation was better than the 2 mercedes I previously had which both needed hub centres and tarnished exterior trim replaced under warranty. One of them was only 18 months old and the side rubbing strips were pitted. 

37 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Preparation was OK. Car clearly had been extremely well looked after from new and interior is immaculate. The preparation was better than the 2 mercedes I previously had which both needed hub centres and tarnished exterior trim replaced under warranty. One of them was only 18 months old and the side rubbing strips were pitted. 

I'd be inclined to take a better look after a few washes - they have clearly been using filler polishes to cover up scratches and they tend to show up after the fillers have come off.

Did they give you the tax confirmation screenshot? That would be your proof - last thing you want is your car being towed

I know the paint on the car is all good as I put my paint detective over it and since I have clayed and polished it with chemical guys blacklight.(the most durable polish I have yet found).  There were a couple of chips low down on the front apron, but they have touched in well.  I like to keep my cars nice but to be honest I don't have a lot of time these days to do the big detailing thing as my weekly mileage is around 600. I have had toy cars in the past. My last one was a rare limited edition BMW Z3 2.8. I also had a concours winning Morris Minor which I restored over a 5 year period. What you say about their pricing is right, but they can be pushed quite hard to bring down the cost to change which is what matters. They also seem to get the right cars. I always check countrywide for the best deals. In the last 5 years I have bought cars in Yeovil, Carlisle and Leicester. 

Nice car Les, very nice indeed. I like an IS but I too think the GS is a cut above in terms of quality and ride comfort. Interesting that you note your GS seems to have better pickup than your IS. My brother-in-law's GS300h Luxury always felt a bit quicker on initial pickup than my IS300h Executive I had at the time. I always put it down to subjectiveness but I'm not so sure now. Hope you enjoy your car. Lovely colour and quite a striking car to look at in the pictures.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:31 PM, olliesgrandad said:

The dvla website says to allow 5 days for update. 

Possibly time to update your current model in your details now! :wink3:

I'm off as well, have just purchased a 2015 GS300h Luxury with sunroof & ML in Sonic Titanium.  Primarily changed form the IS so I could get the sunroof, ML, cross traffic alert, blind spot monitor, F&R parking sensors, memory drivers seat & premium nav all for a sensible price.   The GS is certainly a step up in quality and solidness but is not as sharp to drive as my previous IS Premier, but the level of "waft" and unstressed driving is tremendous.

• Like 3

How do the GS and IS compare in size? Is the GS noticeably bigger or do they feel the same size to park, inside, boot etc?

The GS could tempt me in waftyness and build quality, but not sure if I would find it too big. I think the IS is a big car.

GS vs IS can be likened to BMW's 5 vs 3 series.

I find the GS is a bit of pain to park as its wide and oh so long.

The GS doesn't feel so large when driving tho, even on country lanes.

I wouldn't change it tho, nor would MrsF - she likes being pampered...

On the open road it really does not feel any bigger than the IS, however when putting it in the garage for the first time it is very long. I needed to clear a lot of junk out of the way that was previously not a problem with the IS and it still only just fits. Did not even consider that it might not fit in the garage!

IS 300h dimensions

Width (mm) 1810    
Width, with mirrors (mm) 2027    
Track, front (mm) 1535    
Wheelbase (mm) 2800    
Length (mm) 4680    
Front overhang 845    
Rear overhang 1035    
Height (mm) 1430    
Interior length (mm) 1945    
Interior width (mm) 1500    
Couple distance (mm) 913    
Minimum ground clearance (mm) 135

vs GS 300h, which is almost 8 inches longer (over 16ft in total)...

Width (mm) 1840    
Width (mm) with mirror 2100    
Interior length (mm) 2050    
Interior width (mm) 1535    
Wheelbase (mm) 2850    
Length (mm) 4880    
Front overhang 870    
Rear overhang 1125    
Height (mm) 1455    
Couple distance (mm) 945    
Wheelbase 2.85    
Interior height (mm) f/r * w/o Sun roof 1180    
Track width (mm) F 1575 - R 1590    
Minimum ground clearance (mm) 130

Figures lifted from Lexus UK, latest models

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2017 at 8:49 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Well I've recently got my F sport back. Had its first MOT today at 28,500 miles. Over the past few days I noticed my dealer in Cheltenham had a 2015 GS300H Luxury for sale with 11,000 miles.

To cut a long story short drove it this morning and did a deal on it. . was pleasantly surprised to find that although not advertised it had the Mark Levinson sound option.

Hopefully picking it up Friday. Must say the ride and seats are much softer than my IS which is my main reason for changing now and not in a few months time. I have been getting backache for a while and am hoping the softer seats and ride will help.

Good 'ol boy :yahoo: Hope you enjoy your new motor.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links