Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

This really infuriates me also. I don't like it when people use screws to try and make their plate day something it doesn't!

But it also annoys me when dealerships are lazy and can't be bothered to walk back to box and get the correct coloured cap for the screw location!

TBF not the dealerships fault as the car had original plates on it when delivered. 

Having said that - they supplied me with Lexus Cheltenham number plates for my private reg but didn't bother to drill them - was only going to use them for MOT anyway as mine aren't exactly spaced very well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten to get a picture!

The only problem is, I can't actually see where it was so I guess that means I did a better job than the dimwit polishers at Lexus Cheltenham

On a side note, had to order a few plastic number plate screws as currently, there's a white and yellow screw on black lettering!! Might be OCD, but I don't think it looks right

Not OCD - just common sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like drilled plates with screws.  I got a set made up for mine and used 3M sticky pads.  I put a colour border on my plates to match the car colour (bit difficult with white).

 

Anyone recognise this ?  Subject of the OP methinks

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-RX-2012-450h-3-5-F-Sport-5dr-CVT-Auto-4x4-/322575512025?hash=item4b1affb1d9:i:322575512025

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steveledzep said:

I don't like drilled plates with screws.  I got a set made up for mine and used 3M sticky pads.  I put a colour border on my plates to match the car colour (bit difficult with white).

 

Anyone recognise this ?  Subject of the OP methinks

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-RX-2012-450h-3-5-F-Sport-5dr-CVT-Auto-4x4-/322575512025?hash=item4b1affb1d9:i:322575512025

I've had 3m pads in the past - my 2RX came with them and the number plate fell off

My wife's IS currently has 8 sticky 3m pads front and rear holding the number plate on. Unfortunately the 3 on the right side have come off - these are only 2 years old.

Never personally had an issue with plastic screws and a good old fashioned drill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

same here you are not alone on both issues,think something should actually be done about the doctoring of number plates(even though its illegal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sort of makes you wonder what sort of tape they use,I have used double sided tape for my the number plates on my last three car and have so far not had an issue with it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the reg plate tape sold in Halfords on a previous car and had to destroy the plate to get it off when I changed cars...

The correct tape is far more secure, in all senses, than screws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scudney said:

same here you are not alone on both issues,think something should actually be done about the doctoring of number plates(even though its illegal).

Very funny.Doctors are not supposed to doctor, are they !

Regards

John

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I used the reg plate tape sold in Halfords on a previous car and had to destroy the plate to get it off when I changed cars...

The correct tape is far more secure, in all senses, than screws

Not really fussed if someone nicks the plate as I think they'll have a hard time finding a car to put it on and its pretty unlikely. 

Never had an issue with screws so I think I'll use them because I need to get the plate off come MOT time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Not really fussed if someone nicks the plate as I think they'll have a hard time finding a car to put it on and its pretty unlikely. 

Never had an issue with screws so I think I'll use them because I need to get the plate off come MOT time.

Have you ever been stopped by Plod for your number plate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Have you ever been stopped by Plod for your number plate?

Only once in 13 years of having the plate. 

Don't think they bother anymore as its perfectly readable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the style plates that were the issue, some years ago, they seem to have died out.

In extreme circumstances if your plate does not meet legal specs, i.e. Spacing, style, coloured screw caps altering numbers or letters, or mini plates, you can be reported to DVLA and your plate replaced by a "Q" plate.

I've known a few cocky motorists, with appalling style plates, receive letters from DVLA. They thought the likelihood of their precious costly plates being confiscated was untrue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where it gets silly then I would agree, but most plates that are altered are still readable. Today I did see a BMW X5 with hand script letters an numbers - illegal of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

congrats rayaans , love the rose leather ,that's what I wanted in my GS 300h , but lost out to her indoors! as she says you drive and watch the road.

hope you post some nice picks when you've valeted it properly .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Verbout said:

It was the style plates that were the issue, some years ago, they seem to have died out.

In extreme circumstances if your plate does not meet legal specs, i.e. Spacing, style, coloured screw caps altering numbers or letters, or mini plates, you can be reported to DVLA and your plate replaced by a "Q" plate.

I've known a few cocky motorists, with appalling style plates, receive letters from DVLA. They thought the likelihood of their precious costly plates being confiscated was untrue.

Agreed. I don't like those new resin style plates in carbon effect. Look dreadful IMO!

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Where it gets silly then I would agree, but most plates that are altered are still readable. Today I did see a BMW X5 with hand script letters an numbers - illegal of course.

Funny - I saw an X5 today with dodgy plates as well. Blatantly obvious as well as it had non legal lettering.

23 minutes ago, polish said:

congrats rayaans , love the rose leather ,that's what I wanted in my GS 300h , but lost out to her indoors! as she says you drive and watch the road.

hope you post some nice picks when you've valeted it properly .

I will do once i get the chance to. Well my Mrs is quite fond of the red seats in her car so I knew she wouldn't say anything when I showed her mine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, DanD said:

My bet is a RX450h F-Sport in white with dark rose seats. :yes:

So I was right all along!!!

Good choice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any progress on the Rock Chips , the rear scuff & the leather creases that are  Lexus Cheltenham's responsibility not yours ?

Tel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tel said:

Any progress on the Rock Chips , the rear scuff & the leather creases that are  Lexus Cheltenham's responsibility not yours ?

Tel

They offered to do the rock chips and take a look at the rear scuff. In the end I managed to buff the scuff out and touched up the stone chip on the front myself. I also did the drive door edge chips to a standard where I can't tell that they're there unless I stare at it with my nose 10cm away

The leather creases on the bolster are wear and tear and TBH not concerned about them as they're extremely minimal. They look better than a 12k mile car would suggest so its fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now