Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Bought another LS in the shape of one of the last MK1's made on a 95 plate

My problem is that above 50 mph the needle starts to waver by about 5mph

If I engage cruise at 50mph all is fine but at say 70mph the revs go with the speedo as in far as it keeps accelerating slightly and slowing which would not take long to make you sea sick lol

I have searched the forum but cannot find this specific problem

Any pointers welcome

9 hours ago, V8Rumble said:

My problem is that above 50 mph the needle starts to waver by about 5mph

If I engage cruise at 50mph all is fine but at say 70mph the revs go with the speedo as in far as it keeps accelerating slightly and slowing which would not take long to make you sea sick lol

Maybe it's me but I could not understand that,what do you mean by -"If I engage cruise at"- It sounds like you 'normally' drive in sports mode but occasionally/sometimes change to normal cruise mode......sorry but I just dont understand what you 'really' mean.

9 hours ago, V8Rumble said:

Bought another LS in the shape of one of the last MK1's made on a 95 plate

What year was your car 1st registered?

you maybe have a Mk2 ?  the Mk3 came in 1995, From August 1st 1995 I believe on a N plate

is it the speedo or the rev counter that's playing up ?

Malc

14 hours ago, dendonc said:

Maybe it's me but I could not understand that,what do you mean by -"If I engage cruise at"- It sounds like you 'normally' drive in sports mode but occasionally/sometimes change to normal cruise mode......sorry but I just dont understand what you 'really' mean.

What I mean is when I engage cruise control as the car takes control but mimics the movement of the speedo needle 

13 hours ago, Malc said:

you maybe have a Mk2 ?  the Mk3 came in 1995, From August 1st 1995 I believe on a N plate

is it the speedo or the rev counter that's playing up ?

Malc

Sorry for that my sausage fingers didn't press the key twice as in mk11

The car has a "G" prefix but is registered as a 95 car and has the orange indicators and no touch screen radio

11 hours ago, V8Rumble said:

registered as a 95 car and has the orange indicators and no touch screen radio

Mine is an Aug 30th 1995 reg, it has no touch screen radio (unless Ive missed something it does have), neither did 2 other 1996 LS400's I had, just buttons & a push button channel finder ,all of them.

My rear & side indicators are orange as are all car indicators

11 hours ago, V8Rumble said:

What I mean is when I engage cruise control as the car takes control but mimics the movement of the speedo needle 

Is there any other way you can describe what you mean?? I just dont understand what you'r trying to describe, its bit about the car mimicking a speedo that I am confused about

it's a bouncy needle then, affected by the vibrations of the car ?

Shouldn't worry about it, it won't be an MOT failure I guess.  Idiosyncracies come with age and are allowed with these cars, my 1932 Triumph speedo bounces a lot within a 5mph range but is about 10/15 mph " out " anyway on a run, 50-55mph actually means it's doing 40mph but feels like I'm doing 90 in most other cars .............. wind through the hair and all that .................. :yahoo:

Malc

The speedometer is electronic so there is a speed sensor mounted on the automatic transmission which converts the mechanical turning of the transmission to an electrical signal.This is sent to the cluster and processed to show the speed on the dial.

I would be looking at the speed sensor itself ensuring it is securely fitted and the wiring connections to it are all good, faults within the series III clusters are pretty much unheard of.

On 02/07/2017 at 8:00 AM, dendonc said:

Is there any other way you can describe what you mean?? I just dont understand what you'r trying to describe, its bit about the car mimicking a speedo that I am confused about

The speedo reads 65 - 70 mph and drives steady but when cruise is engaged the car speeds up to 70 then slows to 65 speeds up to 70 then slows to 65 etc etc etc mimicking whatever the speedo reads

14 hours ago, steve2006 said:

The speedometer is electronic so there is a speed sensor mounted on the automatic transmission which converts the mechanical turning of the transmission to an electrical signal.This is sent to the cluster and processed to show the speed on the dial.

I would be looking at the speed sensor itself ensuring it is securely fitted and the wiring connections to it are all good, faults within the series III clusters are pretty much unheard of.

Many thanks for the info I will check it out when I get chance

ah, so when cruise control is engaged the speed actually fluctuates ?

The only time I have experienced this phenomenon is when I'm going downhill and lock it into 30 mph and I find it varies a little, trying to maintain 30 mph but slightly edging away.

It's struggling to maintain that 30 mph, but it's so rare, like when in roadworks with a speed limit and downhill, otherwise my Cruise Control does just that, controls:wink3:

Malc

On 7/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, steve2006 said:

So if that sensor has a problems...... does it/can it/might it...... also cause problems with the indicators and hazards? such no auto indicator and/or no auto hazards? 

On 07/07/2017 at 11:36 AM, dendonc said:

So if that sensor has a problems...... does it/can it/might it...... also cause problems with the indicators and hazards? such no auto indicator and/or no auto hazards? 

I doubt it as these are a seperate system, speed sensor problems can lead to no cruise control but not indicator/hazard problems.

Check the plug at the rear of the hazard switch for tightness, what do you mean by "auto indicators and hazards"?

20 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Check the plug at the rear of the hazard switch for tightness, what do you mean by "auto indicators and hazards"?

The turn left/right indicators only work as 'flashers' if I do it manually, same with hazard warning light, it turns on or off manually but does not work as a on/off/on/off 'flashing' light, the horn is also affected, sometimes it works sometimes its silent

• 1 month later...

Just an update as I am hoping to use the car (but with problems)

I changed the speed sensor for a new one.

I have since cleaned the throttle body along with the IACV

Replaced various hardened vacuum pipes

The car now idles at 1200 but if I drive off the speedo drops to zero and the car will not accelerate after about thirty seconds and the EML comes on.

After about thirty seconds the light goes out, the speedo wakes up and it drives fine.

The speedo jerks around even if it is driving steady. When I stop the car idles at about 600 - 700

If cruise is engaged it revs all over the place.

As the car had stood for a while before I bought it I think I may be suffering from the leaky capacitor problem https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved-ecu-leaking-capacitor.html  so will looking into a fix.

I will keep you posted on this.