Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low miles older or newer high miles model?

Hi. Been looking for an SE-L for months now and seem to have confused myself! Just changed jobs and expect to be doing 10k miles a year. 

I'm not concerned with rear DVD screens but want the Mark Levinson sound system. Started looking for black/grey paint and beige leather but then liked the silver paint/pale grey leather. Now not adverse to black leather - certainly keeps cleaner. Stretched leather on drivers seat lets down a lot of examples. 

So high miles newer or low miles older is the real issue. My budget is £6500 tops and prefer Lexus history. Loads out there, many not sold for months which can't be good for the batteries. High milers likely to be on motorway - how good or bad it that for the hybrid? Low milers and older more likely to be urban dwellers so more use of hybrid and brakes,which is better (?) but more wear on components. 

We have a boat to tow occasionally so a tow bar a bonus but may indicate heavy use so happy to fit one  

Im getting to the point where I have to make a decision so hope you guys can offer some pointers. 

Thanks. 

What do you consider high miles / low miles, old / young? For £6500 you're looking at 2005 - 2008 cars with anything from 70K to 150K miles. My advice would be to not worry so much about the age or mileage and just concentrate on the history & condition. An older car that's done more miles but has been only ever used for the daily commute by an older owner is likely to be in much better nick than a younger car with lower mileage that's been an abused family car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clive-D said:

So high miles newer or low miles older is the real issue

Where Lexus concerned, I would not care about miles, much more about service history and/or specific features which newer model might have.

• Like 1

Mine is a 2006 se-l which hardly gets used, it's taken out occasionally mainly trips down to Heathrow when we go on holiday, cleaned and then back in my garage, owned for last 7 years and now on 50k miles serviced yearly weather needed or not , but probably not worth a sight if chopped in for something newer, but well looked after so I would buy something that's been looked after , older, rather than something newer but abused. Like the rest have said look for history, condition over anything .

No not at the minute sorry, have driven a newer 450 but still prefer what I have , I have a 2003 MR2 roadster with only 12 k miles on also , showroom condition but use my 2004 RAV4 for everyday use and RX for a long run. If I traded the RX probably be shocked what it's worth as paid over £22k when I bought it so would need to add to it quite a bit to replace it.

• Like 1

If you look you can find se's with everything bar the rear screens. Afs Levinson seat memory, just make sure you check the pics not the specs. 

Certainly go for history over mileage but more important is drive it and if anything feels wrong walk away.

• Like 1

I've seen some of those Julian - not got children now so the rear screens are a bit wasted on me! Agree with what you say thanks. The RX certainly seems pretty bullet proof. Quite like the RS but the tiny boot is a deal breaker.

Yep GS was my first choice and saw a few very nice 450h SE-L's I could have gone home with but in the end, as you say the boot is just too small for a family - especially as the seats don't fold. The RX ticked all the boxes for me and although doesn't have the same level of equipment (radar cruise, vented seats and more modern infotainment would have been nice) it's still a lovely place to sit in a traffic jam.

I'd hold out for a higher spec SE-L and as others have said, age and mileage are less important than condition and history but obviously, the later the model, generally, the better.  Make sure that you check underneath for signs of rotting rear sub frames and fuel tank feeder pipes, brake pipes and exhaust.  To replace that little lot costs a pretty penny and probably more than an elderly example is worth.  Hybrids are fine and you can get the hybrid system checked by independants and cells replaced pretty economically compared with Lexus.  Check that the previous owner's have kept a Lexus service history including hybrid health check.  Personally, irrespective of reported reliability (Lexus dealerships often replace things covered by warranty agreements and I often wonder if these get reported as reliability issues), I would steer clear of any vehicle using air suspension and go for the newest lowest mileage example that you can find with a comprehensive history, even if for the budget, that's a 120K mile car.  You might get lucky and find a lower mileage example.  It's worth travelling nation-wide for the right vehicle.  Also, I'd avoid buying anything from coastal areas (I made that mistake with my last Lexus and corrosion was a problem).  Get the right vehicle and keep it serviced and looked after and it will look after you.

• Like 3

Very sound advice thank you. 

I am having a pre purchase check today on a 2008 SE. Not an SE-L but I need to get my life back! Pretty much ticks all the boxes so I'll keep you all posted. Full Lexus history at my local dealer, one owner all receipts and hybrid health check. 156k miles, £4995. As I have such a tight budget I reckon the history outways the lack of ML sound system, satnav and rear camera. Satnav is weak and I can retro fit a camera if I want. Will keep you posted!

OK, so ClickMechanic have done the report (highly recommend) which was emailed as soon as the inspection was complete - impressive.

It brought up a good deal more than I expected, especially for a well maintained by Lexus vehicle. The following came up...

- One tyre and all alloys (which I knew and had allowed for)
- Sun roof not opening
- Headlamp washers not working
- CD player not working
- Age related and other scratches chips and scuffs to bodywork
- Overdue a service, oil and coolant levels low. (Hybrid coolant OK)
- Rear gaiters on all shockers are damaged, this will need attending to before major damage is caused
- O/S rear disc is grooved badly, All pads are now low.

Everything else is 'good'. No corrosion, engine, gearbox, clutch, exhaust, zircon, steering, chassis etc.

Any idea as to cost for sorting this? My gut feeling is the previous owner got fed up of spending out and has run it until it needed to go. The last Lexus service was Feb 2016 at 137k, it's done 20k since then. I think I can find better? Seems like electrics are playing up.

27 minutes ago, Clive-D said:

OK, so ClickMechanic have done the report (highly recommend) which was emailed as soon as the inspection was complete - impressive.

It brought up a good deal more than I expected, especially for a well maintained by Lexus vehicle. The following came up...

- One tyre and all alloys (which I knew and had allowed for)
- Sun roof not opening
- Headlamp washers not working
- CD player not working
- Age related and other scratches chips and scuffs to bodywork
- Overdue a service, oil and coolant levels low. (Hybrid coolant OK)
- Rear gaiters on all shockers are damaged, this will need attending to before major damage is caused
- O/S rear disc is grooved badly, All pads are now low.

Everything else is 'good'. No corrosion, engine, gearbox, clutch, exhaust, zircon, steering, chassis etc.

Any idea as to cost for sorting this? My gut feeling is the previous owner got fed up of spending out and has run it until it needed to go. The last Lexus service was Feb 2016 at 137k, it's done 20k since then. I think I can find better? Seems like electrics are playing up.

I'd be walking away from that one. Sounds like an unloved vehicle, a problem child!

Cost likely includes a full service at say £300;  several hours of diagnosis and getting to the root of the electrical problems at possibly another few hundred;  some bodywork reconditioning at another few hundred;  likely a new CDP (NOT cheap in these);  new discs rear (replace both at the same time) so another hundred or more, plus new pads, plus likely a hydraulic fluid change and piston service (ie £350 for the full brake service);  at that mileage/age, possibly new shockers.

Any vehicle run low on oil and coolant is a vehicle that I wouldn't buy.  It may not have been topped up since the last service and may have accelerated wear as a result (almost certainly with a 20K oil change interval!).  I'd say you'd be getting off lightly with at least a £1000 plus on top of the purchase price just to get ot to acceptable standards, never mind in good shape and then you are left with the legacy of the lack of care maybe raiding new issues after you sort that little lot out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

I'm sure you'll find better Clive.  My advice is be prepared to travel.  My RX was local at only 120 miles away !

Haha, agree. I've travelled 250 miles to buy a vehicle. Need to be sure it's ok tho!

Thanks GSLV6, I agree. I reckoned at least £1000-£1500.

What I'm more disappointed in is the fact this is a one owner car with documented service history and the consensus is newer high miles with history is the way to go. It just goes to show, the day-to-day love and care is as important as an annual service. I'm getting tired looking! Older low miles much loved with more owners... A mate says one owner cars are worse than multi owner cars cos each new owner lavishes attention on it whereas single owners get bored and let things slide.

• Like 1

I think that there's some truth to that but it depends on the owner really and what the vehicle was used for.  I'd buy and older car with twice the miles off a sales rep who just put easy but steady M-way miles on a car with no short trips rather than from a 1 lady owner who used the car for the school run/cub scouts/shopping/all round town short trips.  Trouble is, without digging a bit deeper and seeing the car, it can be difficult to check so getting a remote inspection as you've had done is ideal.

When I sold my last Lexus, we were the 2nd owners and it was sold after we'd had it a few years in much better condition that I bought it in.  That car cost me thousands to get spot on so the person buying it got a bargain.  I don't like nasty surprises so maintain a vehicle irrespective of cost and I think it's only fair to sell a vehicle like that on without any nasty surprises awaiting the new owner.   Keep at it, and you'll get the right one for you.  We took months to find the exact F-Sport model in the right colour with the right extras we were after but FWIW, it was worth the wait and we're so glad that we didn't compromise in the end.

I looked at 8 before I bought mine and all were at Lexus dealers and 7 were awful ! Travelled from Suffolk up to Derby, Leeds finally bought mine from Lexus Hatfield but not the one I put deposit on as that was shocking too !  Be prepared to wait for a good one , one will turn up mate .