Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not showing for me or perhaps I have to sign in. 

However, the thread label reminded me of my boredom last night scanning the Ads and thinking of getting another Car. 

Much impressed by the design of the Hyundai Coupe 2004/6.  Great looking Car (Maserati?)  at a peanut price. 

2.7l or 2.00l.  The larger thirsty V6 with tax at over £500 costs half the price of the Car!.

Really taken by the shape but will the engine last more than 100k and what are the gremlins?  Seem to have no end of trouble with blown bulbs and headlight settings at MOT time. 

Someone put me off the idea - please!!!

Couldn't be assed joining that site, instead, I came up with what sounds like the best buy LS400 I ever saw (including recent cambelt change), don't like the color much but thats all apart from no mention of changing the water pump when they did the cambelt change

Beating whats described below will be a very long wait I think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-Lexus-LS-400-4-0-auto-1-Owner-From-New-Only-51-000-Miles-/152604774703?hash=item2387f4112f:g:uS0AAOSw1BlZVPh3

Heres another seemingly good 5k worth, with excellent mot history & only 131k miles, £1,300.00, v good buy, personally I think company cars are usually a good buy, well looked after & done by the book

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS-400-GREAT-RUNNER-GREAT-PRICE-/162568075675?hash=item25d9cff99b:g:PScAAOSwN2VZUiSB

34 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

TRhere are companeis and there are companies.  No guarantee of being looked after.

I can't access the MOT history check outside the UK, anyone care to do so and report back?

Check the MOT history of a vehicle

Registration number: LE56MYT

• Vehicle make LEXUS
  • Vehicle model LS
  • Date first used 14 December 2006
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Blue

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 5 May 2017
  • Expiry date 4 May 2018
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 39,561 miles
  • MOT test number 1433 2457 0142
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    engine and floor covers fitted
    Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
    front brake fluctuating, but not excessively both (3.7.B.3)
  • Test date 3 May 2016
  • Expiry date 2 May 2017
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 27,237 miles
  • MOT test number 2211 1196 6294
    covers fitted under bonnet and underside of vehicle covering some components
    nsf lower suspension arm inner bush has play
  • Test date 5 January 2015
  • Expiry date 4 January 2016
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 25,360 miles
  • MOT test number 1095 2570 5064
    Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
    Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
    brake pads wear warming light on
    nearside front tyre start to wear inner tread
  • Test date 18 December 2013
  • Expiry date 19 December 2014
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 23,467 miles
  • MOT test number 3769 0215 3325
  • Test date 20 December 2012
  • Expiry date 19 December 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 20,578 miles
  • MOT test number 4869 3505 2345
  • Test date 3 December 2010
  • Expiry date 2 December 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 14,538 miles
  • MOT test number 4246 2723 0336

Thanks, Vasilis, for the history - I was hoping someone would know more about it.  I'm just a bit nosy, really.   And what a shame if someone has tricked WeBuyAnyCar!   : o )

I personally think it is over priced, as it is meant to be going for about £2,500 more for what we paid for our '57 plate LS460

Not sure how expensive would it be to replace or repair the electric steering rack issue.

The same time who ever buys it has no chance on extended Lexus warranty for upcoming potential problems :(

Steering rack replacement, I'm told is about £5k.  But it may not be the steering rack - it could just be the motor - but who knows?  As I said, I'm not interested, but at auction, with those lights on, I'd expect it to perhaps fetch no more than £5k or so itself.  Presumably the seller knows exactly what the problem is, but I suppose they're hoping that someone comes along and doesn't realise will buy it.

They do declare at the moment of the Auction that the power steering is non operational, so who ever is bidding is well aware of this.

The car has reached £7.5k ... and not sold as the reserve is higher.

The seller is Webuyanycar :) which company is bought by BCA a few years back. So effectively the auction owns the car and sells it to dealers. lol

1 minute ago, KentIS300 said:

They do declare at the moment of the Auction that the power steering is non operational, so who ever is bidding is well aware of this.

The car has reached £7.5k ... and not sold as the reserve is higher.

The seller is Webuyanycar :) which company is bought by BCA a few years back. So effectively the auction owns the car and sells it to dealers. lol

Has it though?

It's very common for the auctioneer to bid vehicles up themselves, to near reserve, and hope some mug sticks their hand in the air.

• Like 2

:) Speaking from personal experience, I have bought several times from BCA and I have to say they do not have "ghost" bids. They do have good ethics when it comes to that.
The majority of the buyers are traders, very little public attends to their auctions I assume due to the hours, as they usually start 9:30 and finish by 15:00ish. with some exceptions.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KentIS300 said:

:) Speaking from personal experience, I have bought several times from BCA and I have to say they do not have "ghost" bids. They do have good ethics when it comes to that.
The majority of the buyers are traders, very little public attends to their auctions I assume due to the hours, as they usually start 9:30 and finish by 15:00ish. with some exceptions.

Well, you're experience is more recent than mine, as I bought lots from BCA  Brighouse in the 80s, usually after watching the car go through with imaginary bids, which the office staff freely admitted.

If they have cleaned their act up, good for them.

I only attend auctions sporadically these days (not BCA), and they are definitely still at it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KentIS300 said:

Well it has gone through the auction a few times and it cannot reach it's reserve.

It ended up there via WeBuyAnyCar mmmm

LS460.JPG

and we buy any car is owned by bca they wont lose out

• Like 1

I guess the Ls460 has a Trader value about £2500 with the known power steering fault, the 51k miles Ls400 is a dopey price why would any one want an old Ls400 to keep unused, coz that's the only way one would preserve any value like that .................when you can get just as good a car for offers on £1300, now, that's the one to have in my book ! .regularly serviced, not overused over nearly 20 years and ripe for another 2/300,000 miles.  and a very usable car too

Malc

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I guess the Ls460 has a Trader value about £2500 with the known power steering fault, the 51k miles Ls400 is a dopey price why would any one want an old Ls400 to keep unused, coz that's the only way one would preserve any value like that .................when you can get just as good a car for offers on £1300, now, that's the one to have in my book ! .regularly serviced, not overused over nearly 20 years and ripe for another 2/300,000 miles.  and a very usable car too

Malc

Black Cap is valuing that LS460 with mileage and year at the following prices
Clean : £9,750
Average : £9,125
Below: £8,475

Glass's guide Trade price is £10,129

do you really think that any Trader is going to " take-on " a potential money pit at anything less than a bombed out price ............  if BCA / We Buy Any Car ( the owner )  isn't going to sort it out then why would a Trader .........  ...... I know Traders work to a very quick turnover profit and holding stock of this specific car probably isn't in their psyche .........

No Lexus Main Dealer would buy it in, and no sensible car showroom would invest into this car either as it stands ...  and a private buyer, with any sense, would run a mile ......  there's enough other Ls460s out there to choose from that aren't  " at fault "

Black Cap poor / Below ..... price is with the car actually fully working I surmise

Money Pits don't often find ready buyers unless they are unaware of the pitfalls:wallbash:

But hey, what would I know eh .......  a somewhat successful car trader for many years, buying and selling cars at auction, and retail, and to the Trade too

.................. there we are, the effective "auction " will sort out it's true value eh !  :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

Its more than just their 'psych', like all traders 'space is money'......if you have any car hanging around in a time warp, that 'space' is stopping stocking the same space with stock the buyer (car trader) assumes will be sold in a short space of time, 'turneover" = one in, one out ......makes trader a happy individual

Re the 460, it's got a years gap in the mot history, expired 2nd dec 2011, not tested then till dec 20th 2012, then another 4 month gap in 2016.

I seem to recall reading a few stories of failed steering racks, on the 460, which is a bit of a worry, when you consider how few are about, and, of course, the eye watering price to repair.

Hopefully some bright spark will come up with a cheaper repair method, for those stricken.