Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which is the best battery for Lexus rx300?

Hello this is just a question out of curiosity, I've cleaned and polished my new rx300 2004 plate I've had it 2 weeks now and I believe it's running on it's original Battery it looks a bit old tbf, it's a Panasonic Battery and it says distributed by Toyota on it. It can't surely have lasted this long can it? Lol

My question is which Battery do you guys think would be up to the job, which brand do you recommend. Just interested in makes and models etc. Thanks 

The Panasonic Battery is an AGM Battery (absorbed glass matt). Treated correctly they will have a long life, but they are getting close to double the price of a normal flooded lead acid Battery.

In my opinion buy a well known branded Battery "Bosch, Varta, Lucas etc" but buy a Battery with as high a capacity in amp/hours as possible that will fit the carrier.

John. 

Yes thats either the original Battery or may have been fitted afterwards.

My RX300 ran out of Battery juice in 2012 so 8 years after I bought the car :) 

When I say ran out, its only because my son had the radio on for an hour so technically could have kept going but changed it anyway

Go for a Bosch/Varta one - more expensive but very good

• 2 years later...

When we bought our 2001 RX300 it came with this — not only "juicewise" but also psychically — undersized Battery. Clearly not a very good pick, as OEM spec is 72Ah, guess some previous owner let his or her wallet decide. Anyways, it starts the car. However, it drains out if the car isn't used for a month or so. Also, charging it till charger indicates full takes around 24 hours. Guess this is a sign of wear and tear. Not sure what to pick for replacement. b0afbbf7902c0d048a9cfd829350865e.jpg

After an 11 mile run today I listened to the radio while my daughter did some shopping.  The radio cut out to conserve power after it had been on at moderate level for about 12-14 minutes.  (I have noted that this has happened even after a much longer run). My RX450h was first registered in May 2015 . Car has yet to reach 40K miles. Is this typical or an indication that a new Battery will be required before long.?

13 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

After an 11 mile run today I listened to the radio while my daughter did some shopping.  The radio cut out to conserve power after it had been on at moderate level for about 12-14 minutes.  (I have noted that this has happened even after a much longer run). My RX450h was first registered in May 2015 . Car has yet to reach 40K miles. Is this typical or an indication that a new battery will be required before long.?

I think you will find the radio has an automatic cut off timer rather than a device to turn it off if the Battery is getting low. The 12 volt Battery is not used for turning the engine it just readies the brake system, and boots the computers before issuing instructions for the HV Battery to start the engine. 
With a hybrid it is difficult to tell when the 12 volt Battery is getting marginal as the slow cranking normally associated with a failing Battery does not apply. 

John.

• Like 1