Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DEEP Dent Advice

The bodywork is pretty bad on my IS200 I picked up last week. It doesn't bother me too much, I like a project and I live in a city full of narrow streets so worrying about perfect bodywork is pointless. By far the worst is this deep dent on the rear. Any advice on how to best go about repairing this? Hammer it out as best as I can, bodyfiller then paint? For now I've just removed the loose paint and put a layer of rustoleum paint on, but obviously this is just temporary.

IMG_2804.jpg[/

IF you can get to it from the back,  lightly hammering it out to a shallow dent and then body filler

to level it is as good as a garage will do.[use a piece of wood in front of the hammer if it helps]

If you haven't done it before, don't go mad with the filler, fill and flat down, 80 grit paper

and fill again if needed

Edited by ROYT
  • Like 2

What royt said. And also try to hammer it back towards the trunk so the trunk gap is good. Remove the tail light and try to work out how its kinked. Hard to get it perfect but you can improve it alot.

Thanks for the replies, looks like I can access it from the back, although possibly better with the light out. 80% better is fine for me! I wonder how it happened, weird that the tail light is fine. Doesn't look like it's been replaced, it's the most concentrated dent.