Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Proud owner - we'll almost!

Hello forum, 

after several months of watching and trying to learn about these hybrids, I have finally bought one 😍

I've bought a 2005 RX400H 81k, Lexus dealer history to 2014 and not sure after that because the service book is at the dealer exchange not the motor trader I bought it off. Trader is doing the cambelt and water pump, oils and filters, new MOT.

I pick the car up on Friday; telling a good friend about my purchase, I was regaled with the horrors of the 'flat battery in the airport after a holiday' scenario and have resolved to have a Battery check (hopefully it will be ok!) but what will this cost at a dealer? And, are there any tips to avoid such a dilemma (I had read about this on a forum but didn't consider it an essential check before purchase - perhaps, more fool me),

Thoughts appreciated,

Ez 

• Like 2

I have a RX400h 2006 and a MR2 roadster and can tell you they have the same Battery !! I replaced mine on my RX and my MR2 and the Battery is cheaper for the MR2 but same part so if you do need one buy one for a MR2. Also have a solar charger which I plug in when I leave mine at the airport, have left it for over two weeks no probs.

I bought a jump start Battery pack very much like this one a few months ago. On mine, a bank of four blue LEDs indicate the state of charge of the Battery pack and I can say that after being fully charged (four LEDs lit) and then living in the boot of the car for a few months, it has only dropped one LED and is still holding up to 75% charge.

I've not had to use it yet so can't say just how good it actually is, but there are plenty of YouTube videos showing them in action and I have no reason to doubt that it would get me (or anyone else) out of the doo-doo when needed.

Thank you for the replies, most illuminating. 

I've attached a picture of the car.

I pick the car up tomorrow and will use it for a couple of weeks until the mechanic returns and the belt and pump get done. Interestingly, there is a small screen, I now think is a solar panel, extreme right on the drivers side binnacle. There are 2 after market switches, one below the stereo with an LED, next to the heated seat switches, and a rocker switch not far from the bonnet pull. I have a fancy, one, or both of these activates the solar panel trickle charge. Anyone have a similar set up i.e. NOT through a revised cigarette lighter? 

Thanks again,

Ez 

Here it is. I will post more pics later this weekend. 

I've paid over the book price in return for pump, belt, service, warranty and refurbed wheels. 

Now, can someone tell me how to start her when I pick her up today? The dealer (not Lexus) didn't seem to know, and apart from literally turning the key to what seemed like a 'start', waiting 20 seconds, turning key again, and although no sound, assuming it's running, I'm not sure what I did on my test drives, all I know is she went! Please be specific 😀 i.e turn the key once so that warning lights illuminate.... etc. 

IMG_1953.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ezzie said:

Here it is. I will post more pics later this weekend. 

I've paid over the book price in return for pump, belt, service, warranty and refurbed wheels. 

Now, can someone tell me how to start her when I pick her up today? The dealer (not Lexus) didn't seem to know, and apart from literally turning the key to what seemed like a 'start', waiting 20 seconds, turning key again, and although no sound, assuming it's running, I'm not sure what I did on my test drives, all I know is she went! Please be specific 😀 i.e turn the key once so that warning lights illuminate.... etc. 

IMG_1953.JPG

It starts like any other vehicle

Turn the key all the way with foot on brake and it shows "Ready" in the instrument cluster on the left dome next to the speedo dome.

• Like 1

Thank you!

picking up at 2. Nervous and excited all at the same time.

Any Classic Saab fans out there?

Here's the Lexus' stable mate 😍

Ez 

IMG_0576.JPG

• Like 3

It was my first long trip today! Up and down dale and a 100 miles on the motorway - managed 31 mpg. Steady for the most part with the odd overtake or three :yucky:

Some pics. The 'conk' is there courtesy of my brother in law who sent it the same day I got the car...

Ez

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

• Like 5

Same colour same interior as mine , although I had my wheels powdercoated in a Porsche grey metallic so a little darker than should be , mine 06 plate 52k , awesome car you'll love it, had mine 6 years and no intention of changing it for anything newer. 

All best .

• Like 1

On 08/07/2017 at 11:39 AM, Ezzie said:

Thank you!

picking up at 2. Nervous and excited all at the same time.

Any Classic Saab fans out there?

Here's the Lexus' stable mate 😍

Ez 

IMG_0576.JPG

Great looking Saab.  I had 4 Saabs before joining the Lexus club.  Two 9-5s and two 9-3 Aeros including a 57 plate convertible.

Had two IS250s, including a convertible, before my present RX.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Alas the Monte Carlo yellow is LPT (Light Pressure Turbo), pretty mint and pretty slow (135bhp). 

I also have the Saab 900T16 Aero... Abbott tuned, new roof, fast and furious. Love it, but far from mint 😉

Second long trip trip in the Lexus, up to 31.6 mpg. Not bad.

Need to work out how to transfer my phone book via Bluetooth to the Hands free AND get my head around the sat nav.

Ez 

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

• Like 2

:w00t: lovely Saabs. I did some work experience in a Saab garage that also made and sold Saab specific garage computer systems and software and have loved the cars since then, such a shame they are no longer made.

Transferring your phone book via Bluetooth is a nightmare apparently and only really viable if you have certain android devices. Also the annoying safety feature of the infomatics systems only allow you to use quick dial whilst on the move. I manually entered my 10 or so most commonly used numbers manually which works ok for me.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Saab convertible at the moment. Used to drive my parents' 900i and then early 9-3 back in the 90's. The 900 in particular is an appreciating classic these days.

looked at the price of good 900 turbo convertibles and they are north of 15k. A few years back a decent one would set you back 3k and a mint low mileage one was 7-8k so they are on the way up.

Well I've had her a week now and getting used to how smooth a drive it is. I've worked out voice command (I do love this, particularly when she answers incorrectly) but the sat nav remains a mystery apart from setting home! I'll work it out I'm sure.

I have a couple of queries.

The DVD player is broadcasting through the head rest monitors but flickering. It's like I need to stabilise the horizontal line. It doesn't seem to be badged Lexus so I've included a picture.  I haven't checked out the headphones yet and I can't find a remote so maybe I couldn't play the DVD anyway.

There is also an audio/visual plug, picture included; I'm no techie so any help appreciated. 

If the DVD is not fixable can I get one from a scrapper?

Thanks

Ez

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

Thanks Sorcerer, as you say, at £25, worth a punt. I've ordere one. 

Whilst I don't have kids I do have a mum with dementia. Being able to play some old movies for her will be fantastic, for her and for me😉

The audio visual lead in the back seat 'flap' has been fitted properly, it has a grommet through the back of the seating, but what is it for? It's not for the DVD player, could it be for an auxiliary piece of equipment? And if so, what? I was able to use the buttons on the DVD and swap to auxiliary function, but I'm struggling somewhat to know what this might be... as I said, both monitors work fine, projecting the image, but the image is horizontally line challenged 😳

I have both headphones, one unused. How does one charge them? Or does infrared not need charging?

Thanks for any help.

ps. I discovered what the extra switch is in the dash under the stereo - after market parking sensors. The unit on the binnacle is a laser and speed camera 'finder'. I think it needs a subscription and I wont be using it. Still not sure what the second toggle switch by the power door switch is, it doesn't seem to be linked to speed camera thing. 

• Like 1

Sorry Ez, I can't shed any more light on the problem because I haven't got a DVD player or monitors in my RX300 - I just remembered seeing that topic from a while ago so thought it was worth a punt for you. Glad to hear that you've got at least one of your mysterious things sussed out :smile:

By the way, you've listed your location as Cumbria. We have family in Carlisle so if I see an RX400h knocking around there when we're visiting, is it likely to be you?

Awww thanks Sorcerer. I know a good ICE firm so I'll get them on the job if I struggle. I'm guessing the extra leads are for 'aux' but not too sure what that will look like!

I do go to Carlisle for my job, and I live near Ulverston in the south of the County. Look out for RL55NRX and if you see it, that's me!

Ez 

• Like 1