Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flashing AFS light

Driving home earlier this week I noticed the AFS light was flashing on the dashboard of my 2007 RX400h.
A little googling LED me to suspect the linkage on the height sensor behind the rear right wheel.
Sure enought the lower ball joint on the linkage had seized and the linkage had snapped in the middle.

The linkage alone is not available from Lexus and the local Lexus dealer quoted over £400 to supply and fit the sensor, arm, and linkage (89407-48030) as a unit. 

Toyota however do supply an identical linkage (48906-35020) for about £80 from a dealer or £40 from eBay.

Still pricey I know but I didn't fancy fabricating a linkage using Rapid Electronics Modelcraft Swivel head Ball Joints and the ball joints are sealed and the link is easily adjustable with the Toyota part. Two nuts to remove and replace and all is well.

Hope it helps someone in the future if you are looking for an equivalent replacement for the link.

P1010519-2.jpg

P1010523.JPG

• Like 3

If the linkage has seized the sensor may not have much longer.  If the light comes on again it may be that.  The seals on the original are a bit fragile and fail letting water into the body of the sensor (which is really just a rather expensive volume control as you have discovered).  If the damage inside isn't too much you can clean it up and replace the seals (available at about £3 from http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/10x21x7-r23-nbr_oil_seal.html ).  Unfortunately you may find the small springs inside which make the contact with the wiper have corroded (mine had) so you will need to replace the whole sensor.  I got mine from USA for US$85  including delivery.  Headlight Level Sensor fits 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Tacoma DORMAN OE SOL

This model  has improved seals and should last longer.  Fitting is quite easy once you have removed the o/s rear wheel.

The attached instructions for rebuilding the sensor are from the Forum and were very helpful.

Refurbishing headlight levelling sensor (ex Lexus Owners Club 2013).doc

• Like 3

My research turned up that the sensor unit is a Dorman 924-755 typically about  £50 from the UK. However I did find some on Alibaba as cheap as $2 so some caution would be needed to try to ensure the unit is of reasonable quality. 

• Like 2

I fixed mine about 6 months ago by removing the threaded part , freeing off the seized ball joint with a bit of oil and a wiggle. Then welded the broken threaded part and reasembled. Been fine since. Even though i expected it to fail quite quickly. Cost not a lot at all.

• Like 1