Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stationary DPF regeneration P2002

Usual warning lights on dash on my IS220d - P2002. 100,000 miles, new EGR fitted by Lexus @ 49,000  One careful lady owner so expected the worse as it's probably never been out of Solihull. Took off EGR and it was pretty bad so cleaned this out but after resetting the lights with a reader purchased from amazon for £15 they came on again after 1 minute, followed by the limp mode. I'm 50 miles from the nearest dual carriageway and about the same from the nearest DPF doctor in Telford. Anyone know how I can force the DPF into a cleaning cycle whilst the vehicle is stationary? I can start the engine and warm up, then increase to around 3000 rpm no problem. Any other suggestions will be gratefully received

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Hey Paul,

So it hasn't had an EGR clean in 50k miles?  If so, I am surprised it has lasted this long.

That manifold looks bad, and since I'm in a similar situation for mine, I have to wonder what the rest of the manifold is like.  I have commented on here before how tempted I am to take it off to give it a good clean, but I am too chicken to attempt it at the moment. :smile:

In order to force a regen, you would need a copy of Toyota's TechStream software.  Assuming you have a laptop, something like this would do:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16pin-Mini-VCI-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-TechStream-OBD2-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/112063076459?epid=714481939&hash=item1a177ad86b:g:Vw0AAOSwqfNXj555

I am curious to know where you live since being 50 miles from a dual carriageway or motorway is quite unusual. :smile:

I suppose you could try driving on normal roads in 2nd for a while as an alternative.

Ok, I take back what I said about dual carriageways and motorways. :smile:

The TechStream software can certainly activate the regen function, but it is a question of how effective it would be without a good run.

I have a copy of the software, but I haven't used it for a while.

1 hour ago, PaulyLS400 said:

Thanks for the advice and link. We're in Wales. Will the TechStream software work when the car is stationary??? Have you used it???

Paul where about are you. I may be able to help.

John

• Like 1

Well I'm quite close at Wigmore. I have Techstream, and could run over to you this afternoon if it suits you. I cannot give an exact time, but about 2.30 on.

Let me know if this helps, and give me your post code and address via PM if you prefer. 

John.

• Like 2

Very interested to hear how this goes for you. I had Lexus do a forced regeneration on mine a few months ago and it did the car wonders. They actually had to run it twice. Their advice was to run the car at 2,750 to 3,000 rpm for 10km without interruption once every tank. That means no dropping outside of this range and even no use of the cruise control.

However, I forgot a few times and now my car has coughed a few times over the last week so thinking about buying the software and running the forced regeneration every couple of months. 

10 hours ago, Monocle said:

Very interested to hear how this goes for you. I had Lexus do a forced regeneration on mine a few months ago and it did the car wonders. They actually had to run it twice. Their advice was to run the car at 2,750 to 3,000 rpm for 10km without interruption once every tank. That means no dropping outside of this range and even no use of the cruise control.

However, I forgot a few times and now my car has coughed a few times over the last week so thinking about buying the software and running the forced regeneration every couple of months. 

Will let you know. I'm not going to get around to it for a few weeks due to other commitments but watch this space. All seems like a bit of a workaround to be honest though. We'll see. How much did Lexus charge you and which branch? Might go the easy route. Problem is I'm limping! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulyLS400 said:

Will let you know. I'm not going to get around to it for a few weeks due to other commitments but watch this space. All seems like a bit of a workaround to be honest though. We'll see. How much did Lexus charge you and which branch? Might go the easy route. Problem is I'm limping!

It cost €70 on top of a service. And that's in Dublin so not much use to you!

• Like 1

Think I cursed myself. Check VSC up on the dash today due to blocked DPF again. Only got about 6,000 since forced regeneration. 

Have to invest in Techstream now I think. I tried the link above but they don't post to Ireland. Could ssomeone let me know if this link below is the one I need. I'm really not great on the IT side of things. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281433277273

Also, I have an old laptop with Windows Vista which the disc is not compatible with. It's the only laptop with a CD drive available to me. Do you think I could just copy the data from the CD onto a memory stick and use it on a new laptop that has Windows 10? Sorry if these are stupid questions!

2 hours ago, Monocle said:

Also, I have an old laptop with Windows Vista which the disc is not compatible with. It's the only laptop with a CD drive available to me. Do you think I could just copy the data from the CD onto a memory stick and use it on a new laptop that has Windows 10? Sorry if these are stupid questions!

I have been told that the software requires XP. Hopefully someone can confirm. You can get USB CD drives unless someone techie comes along and helps us that's the best I can do. It's old software I know that for sure. i reckon the memory stick/W10 route is doomed to failure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monocle said:

Hi,

I can vouch for the fact that this: Mini VCI Cable & software Comes with drivers for up to at least 64 bit Win 7 (and it's cheaper!). I bought one and the most recent version of the software on the disc actually has a detailed installaion video, installed drivers & installed software OK, recognises the Mini VCI dongle. The one proviso is that I haven'yet tried to talk to the car (I got it to try and pair a spare key) as I had just installed it and then had to go to a funeral in Bangkok, I'll be back next week so hopefully I'll get time to try it then...... 

Andrew

• Like 1

I am running Techstream on an old Dell laptop with 32 bit Windows 7 installed and everything works well, wipe Vista from your laptop and install Windows 7 and you will be good to go.

23 hours ago, Wisty said:

That's just good general advice!

It's the way that you can get Techstream working, which was one of the questions, I just supplied the answer......

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, guys, I'm back in the land of dead LS220s with DPF and limp modes on. Could someone send me Techstream via Drive or Dropbox with some instructions??? Alos, never found out if you can use it stationary or not? If not, does it need to be over 3000 rpm for the whole time? 

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but if anyone else has the check vsc problem this will help. Buy a cheap code reader from eBay, put wynns egr cleaner into half a tank of diesel plug the code reader in and clear the fault and rev the car until it stops stuttering then take it a drive doing high revs then sit in 3rd gear @ 3000rpm for as long as you feel its necessary I usually do 10 miles like that. It genuinley works.