Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 Turbo

wezsleigh

Hello im looking to get install a turbo into and IS200 and looking through this forum and various other forums I've not really found a clear answer to my question. Can you just install a turbo onto the is200 without having to buy this £2300 kit? For example, could I just change the manifold and install a turbo without having to spend all that money. I understand that some stock internals may need to be upgraded however e.g. flywheel, manifold and such. 

There's an eBay one that a few topics on this forum speak about and that's the only one I've seen spoken about really.

So you'd say it's possible to do with minimal changes to the stock components? 

I'm can't really say I'm looking for the power gain as much as im looking for the choo choo s haha. Obviously a power gain would be nice but I'm not looking to run fast 1/4 miles or track times with it.

Just looking for a car that looks good and sounds good. 

^ this. Turbo'd cars don't often don't make good exhaust noises either.

As you're not fussed about the extra a power, I reckon you'd be making yourself a whole heap of work for little gain.

After modding, insurance may rocket too.

• Like 1

At the is200 price range? 

What would you guys suggest in the £1000-£2000 price range? 

I think I was leaning towards this because they are so cheap to buy and by many accounts, they're fun, good looking & sound pretty nice with a nice exhaust system strapped onto it.  

To answer your question, yes you can source your own parts and turbo an IS200 without buying the £2300 kit. But since you have to ask that question, don't take this the wrong way, perhaps you need to ask yourself if you're up to the task. It takes a bit of know-how and dedication to get this done.

I've not turboed an IS200 myself but I'm doing research by checking out other peoples builds and I guess I can give you some advice.

First of all, I would like to point out that the manifold is definitely the nugget of the turbo kit. A civic turbo kit is about half the cost, with pretty much the same stuff with the exception of the manifold and downpipe. The reason the Civic kit is cheaper is that it's a way more common car to turbocharge and so the manifolds are a lot cheaper. The 1G-FE on the other hand is a very rare motor to turbocharge, so obviously the manifold is going to be a lot more expensive.

Luckily it turns out that the way more common 2JZ-GTE manifold doesn't fit at all, but the runners line up pretty good with the flange of a 1G-FE manifold. So the cheapest method is to get yourself a 2jz-gte manifold, chop the flange of and weld on a 1G-FE flange (with TIG and backpurge). Or have a custom log style manifold made up.

So let's assume you've got the turbo on. The next roadblock is the ECU which unfortunately is tied into like every system on the car. So it's a pretty involved car to modify in any way, just based on the electrics. A piggyback ECU is the easiest option here.

And finally the internals are designed for low torque output, so the rods are as shaved down as they can be.

• Like 1

Thank you ax53,  you're completely right and I know I'm not up to the task right now but I have this stupid mentality that I'm sure many of us have that if someone else can do it why can't i. 

You seem to know a lot for someone that hasn't turbo'd the 1g fe so this information is a gold mine for me. I'm fairly good with working on cars in general but I was put in doubt by various other forum posts that have stated the only way is the kit way and there didn't seem to be much information out there to counter that. I thought to post a question myself was the quickest and easiest way to get the answer I was looking for. You've now given me the fuel to pursue this so thank you I was beginning to be disheartened. 

Just as you've done I will be going to watch others builds and try to learn as much as I can. Would you have any suggestions for videos or forum posts that you've found particularly helpful? 

Thank you for your response its greatly appreciated. 

No problems. Also, I'd just like to say that I didn't mean to discourage you or anything. With the right ambitions you certainly could do it. Another word of warning though. You say you don't wanna spend 2300 pounds, and I totally get that. But just beware that something like this can kinda run away from you in terms of budget. You can do it cheap but its hard to estimate how cheap that is. So just beware of stuff like this, it will probably end up more expensive than you anticipate.

http://www.tezzaworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=13381 <- here is the build thread with the 2jz-gte manifold.

Aye man no worries, no harm done I took it constructively. 

Yeah I understand the pennies will add up and I feel myself increasingly willing to spend 2300 on something I'm going to be working on and doing myself and learning from rather than giving a large amount to someone else to do all the work. I like the term Built Not Bought and I'd like to be able to say I've built this rather than some geezer I don't know done it all for me, if that makes sense. 

Okay cool I'll check it out now! Once again thank you! 

• 2 months later...

Hello, bit late i know but i am looking at fitting a cheap turbo kit to my drift is200. At the moment there are manifolds going on eBay for around £350 which is as cheap as you can get, once you have that the rest is fairly easy, a cheap t3 turbo and a few pipes and your away. Will need to do a bit of fabrication on the exhaust and have some sort of oil return into your sump but the rest is fairly simple. Bigger injectors are adviced and using the similar setup with the supercharger with a small piggy back will help. This will get you to about 230bhp with minimal boost. Internals are good upto 280bhp i have read, but lowering compression will increase that also. Any higher than 230hp you wiull need bigger injectors a better fuel system and some sort of mapable ecu. The is200 ECU cant be mapped if i remember correctly. I dont know if thats changed now though.

I will be running a standalone ecu in my setup with a custom loom, as i have done this in my 1jz is200 and its so easy to fit and gets rid of all the crap your engine doesnt need. I am using a EMU ECU Master which is around £600 but then will need to get a loom made up and then either find a base map or take it somewhere for a map to be made up, I am hoping i can copy the 1jz map and adjust it down alot and see how it runs. if its fairly good i will leave it, if it wont run right then will take it to my tuner to sort out. i have a thicker head gasket at 1.6mm to lower the compression to help the engine and also will also do away with the throttle body and plastic manifold and modify a spare log style inlet manifold i have to fit.

I am planning to make 90% of it myself, i can aluminium weld and almost stainless steel weld, i could probably make a basic log manifold but will probably end up buying one. The manifold, turbo and ECU are my only real expenditures. Oh and a cheap intercooler, piping is fairly cheap and easy to find.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:25 PM, Morango said:

Hello, bit late i know but i am looking at fitting a cheap turbo kit to my drift is200. At the moment there are manifolds going on ebay for around £350 which is as cheap as you can get, once you have that the rest is fairly easy, a cheap t3 turbo and a few pipes and your away. Will need to do a bit of fabrication on the exhaust and have some sort of oil return into your sump but the rest is fairly simple. Bigger injectors are adviced and using the similar setup with the supercharger with a small piggy back will help. This will get you to about 230bhp with minimal boost. Internals are good upto 280bhp i have read, but lowering compression will increase that also. Any higher than 230hp you wiull need bigger injectors a better fuel system and some sort of mapable ecu. The is200 ECU cant be mapped if i remember correctly. I dont know if thats changed now though.

I will be running a standalone ecu in my setup with a custom loom, as i have done this in my 1jz is200 and its so easy to fit and gets rid of all the crap your engine doesnt need. I am using a EMU ECU Master which is around £600 but then will need to get a loom made up and then either find a base map or take it somewhere for a map to be made up, I am hoping i can copy the 1jz map and adjust it down alot and see how it runs. if its fairly good i will leave it, if it wont run right then will take it to my tuner to sort out. i have a thicker head gasket at 1.6mm to lower the compression to help the engine and also will also do away with the throttle body and plastic manifold and modify a spare log style inlet manifold i have to fit.

I am planning to make 90% of it myself, i can aluminium weld and almost stainless steel weld, i could probably make a basic log manifold but will probably end up buying one. The manifold, turbo and ECU are my only real expenditures. Oh and a cheap intercooler, piping is fairly cheap and easy to find.

Manifold for 350 pounds? Have I missed something? Give me a link to dis.