Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is a full UK license

Insurance are saying I do not have a full UK license... what does that mean... I have a UK license for a few years.  What upgrade do I need to make it a full? Google is of no help.

Thanks

A full UK licence means you have passed your driving test.

Check your license on the .gov website to make sure they have your correct details and that it shows you have a full license.

I may well be wrong but as far as I know there are only two classes of licence in that context, those being provisional (when you're learning to drive) and full.

There are, of course, different classes of vehicles, such as car, HGV, motorcycle etc., but my understanding is that the licence itself can only be either provisional or full. Maybe someone will correct me, I don't know.

Have you taken (and passed) a driving test in UK? Was it in an automatic car (in which case you only have a full license to drive automatics) or manual?

Have you recently had your photo licence renewed. Loads of bikers including police officers, are receiving their licence back without

a full motor bike on it. It happened to a mechanic at work when he passed his pcv. Could not prove where he had his test, as the centre had shut.

Cost him a £1000.00 to retake all the tests in a day. He had just come back from touring france on a bmw 1200 bike.

I heard of all the hassle with records being incorrect on renewed licences. 

I have copies of mine and the wife's license "screen printed" directly from the .gov website on my computer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Have you recently had your photo licence renewed. Loads of bikers including police officers, are receiving their licence back without

a full motor bike on it. It happened to a mechanic at work when he passed his pcv. Could not prove where he had his test, as the centre had shut.

Cost him a £1000.00 to retake all the tests in a day. He had just come back from touring france on a bmw 1200 bike.

Surely he could have asked DVLA to do a roll back of his driving license record which would have shown his entitlements.

I hadn't seen the UK Gov website for this before, is easy to use and shows all you need to know (including the categories).

Check yours here; https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

After Gary's @Verbout comment of incorrect info, I've just taken Evernote extracts of mine. Thanks.

Dvla only keep records for 10 years now by all accounts. A great big thing about it all in motorcycle news.

If police are having to retake the test what chance do we have.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dvla_and_thousands_of_missing_li

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?119317-Motorcycle-Entitlement-quot-Disappeared-quot-from-my-licence

• Like 1

Yes I had passed the test a few years back... Standard pink color license... 

Provisional was the grey one... I recall insurance folks mentioning 'its less than 5 years so it is not a full UK license'.

They point towards that being reason my insurnace is in 1000s range... 

5 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

Hmm... what test is there... This is confusing.

I took a theory test and practical one a few years back. So what other test is there... This system is broke!

Its either provisional or full that is it. Sounds like you have a full licence, Your insurance company are wrong, does it not state full on the licence.

Moved topic to lounge area as a wider audience.

Things can only get worse with the DVLA, they close all the local offices and now are removing the paper section of licences, then they sell your personal data and finally lose it.

Regarding your issues jack I understand that once you have passed the UK car driving test you are subjected to a 2 year post test probation period durimg which time 6 points will get your licence revoked but after this time it goes up to 12 points.

Not sure why your insurance company should charge £1000s in premiums if you have held it now for 5 years assuming it is clean i.e. no points or convictions.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Moved topic to lounge area as a wider audience.

Things can only get worse with the DVLA, they close all the local offices and now are removing the paper section of licences, then they sell your personal data and finally lose it.

Regarding your issues Jack I understand that once you have passed the UK car driving test you are subjected to a 2 year post test probation period durimg which time 6 points will get your licence revoked but after this time it goes up to 12 points.

Not sure why your insurance company should charge £1000s in premiums if you have held it now for 5 years assuming it is clean i.e. no points or convictions.

And dont forget if you make a mistake thats a £60 fine and if they make a mistake tough.

Are you sure they aren't referring to 'full no claims bonus'? This can take up to 10 years to accrue for some insurance companies.

I passed my test back in the 80's green license, then pink and recently photo card.