Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Turbo Suddenly Died, No Dash Lights

Rob JK

Pulling on to the A1 today, foot down in third and the engine shuddered at 60, then lost all turbo power. Was being overtaken by lorries on the uphill.. Trying to find possible causes, but there are no warning lights on the dash and the startup engine check is fine. 

Its a 56 plate is220d, the head gasket was done a few weeks back, mileage around 110k. Any turbo issues I've tried searching come with a warning light, does anyone know what the likely issue is?

You say the head gasket has recently been replaced, may I ask why? It might be worth having the same garage take a look at your current issue? - as it could be related...

Good luck.

The gasket was replaced because the water tank was pressurising and foam was squirting out the water tank over flow.

I can't see any hoses that have popped off, but one was maybe a little loose so have pushed it back.

Stupidly, I killed the Battery last night as well, any tips on those two wires at the side of the Battery cover, they make it slightly awkward to get this thing off.

29 minutes ago, DNewman said:

@Farqui my boost pipe is off on my is220d after a fan belt loss. Any videos, pictures, diagrams or information of where it connects into?

That'll be why your down on power then.

Isn't it fairly obvious? - you should have two large bore, open ended alloy pipes that the flexi hose interconnects between.  

Let me see if I can get a schematic...

Crumbs I was expecting one of the main boost pipes, that's tiny.

It can only reach so far, so is there another connection nearby?

Maybe someone with a 220d can help?

Oh and thanks for the pic, I didn't have much luck searching online myself earlier.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:54 PM, DNewman said:

This is the one I'm trying to reconnect 

15004001981472059409651.jpg

I'll check this for you. Can you get any more photos like where it is coming from exactly?

• Like 1

Right, this might be it...

It is called the Vacuum Transmitting Hose.

It is marked in red in the diagram below. It connects into the bottom of the inlet manifold.

59710a03a8207_VacuumTransmittingHose1.png.e76f2a864f091b6aa06c8d98db49d438.png

The next diagram shows where it connects into. It points vertically downwards and is held on with a pincer clip.

59710a045ddc4_VacuumTransmittingHose2.png.23f7af179b633c5d58b313606218ac77.png

Right, so the Turbo has been changed and it's still running horrible, just getting the DPF switched out. Does anyone know the part numbers for the two screw in sensors below? They were rusted stuck so won't come off the old one.

DPF.PNG

No offence my friend but do you not have a reputable garage and/or mechanic who knows how to properly diagnose faults and rectify them, rather than just chucking parts and money at it until it's fixed?

Rob, in my experience, the clogging of the DPF doesn't always immediately show an engine fault but the power loss is instant. It can "chug" a little first. If you keep driving, it will. So your loss of power is most likely the DPF from what you describe. You are probably on the right track.

Have you already bought a new one? Could you get the existing one reconditioned? Seems like you have skipped a few steps in the process and gone out and bought a new one! Hopefully it solves your problem anyway. Good luck!

@Monocle the diagram was perfect although I managed to find it as I got my brother to help me. He is a mechanic so he spotted the nippel. FYI this vacuum hose will disconnect if the fan belt comes off. Maybe someone should pin the diagram 

Thanks lads

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links