Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 project

Neil E

18 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Now that's making very good use of some pointless back seats very neat and tidy. Top work as ever

The back seats aren't good for much except shopping and luggage. In the 3 years I've had it, I don't remember anyone riding in the back as we just treat it as a '2 seater.'

Still a bit more to do to finish the rear install off properly but as it's rarely visible I'm not so fussy about it.

Good stuff.

Has anyone done away with the rear headrests and just gone with the roll hoops inside them? I think they'd look pretty cool chromed.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TigerFish said:

Good stuff.

Has anyone done away with the rear headrests and just gone with the roll hoops inside them? I think they'd look pretty cool chromed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I thought the very same thing yesterday when I saw the finished picture. I think that would look cool in this particular build as the seats are invisible anyway.

Go on @Neil E doo it doo it doo it doo it!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 10:11 PM, TigerFish said:

Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Interesting, yeah, I had not thought of that, I get where you're coming from, it might look good when the full hifi is on board. The hoops are black and not quite the same kind of bulky structural hoops you might find in other cabriolets. In some cars they would look cool but to make it work I would probably have to change a few things, remove the hoops and add new bigger chrome units. Probably not a major structural change and indeed if done properly could improve overall strength but one the insurance company would take a keen interest in.

Hopefully rear seat trimming plan 'B' should be much better than plan 'A' but if the car ever grows enough horsepower to hit the track then we may come back to the beefy chrome hoop idea.

Just did a search to see if anyone in the US has 'done' chrome roll hoops but I think @TigerFish and @Boddney you may have thought of something new. I'd say it would look best on a silver car??

Image result for Lexus SC430 chrome head rest hoops

• 4 weeks later...

The SC430 is growing on me, from the beginning i was not so impressed with their design, then i started to think they were ok. And every time i go to check this thread i like it more and more so right now i just want one myself :wub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bempa said:

The SC430 is growing on me, from the beginning i was not so impressed with their design, then i started to think they were ok. And every time i go to check this thread i like it more and more so right now i just want one myself :wub:

@BempaYes I think the design and the lack of rear seat space does put many off ownership. The SC received such poor reviews when it first came out, most of the focus was on its practical weaknesses but it really is a good solid car and very rewarding to drive.

• Like 1

I've been playing with the suspension settings in the wild Northwest Highlands. Hundreds of miles of great roads with a view around every bend.

59ab0a0b94ff6_1-WP_20170901_0901.thumb.jpg.7c6c0ae48e707d34a609501fbf64a07e.jpg

Here we are at the end of the road.

1-WP_20170830_018.thumb.jpg.c321a043256a3071b4299801c0a149cc.jpgKylesku Bridge. Favourite stopping off point for car clubs and those doing the NC500.

1-WP_20170830_041.thumb.jpg.71a89f8aea238f0e61625561b4368ffe.jpg

1-WP_20170830_050.thumb.jpg.f4f3458d91f8e60a1936b9a4b78f4b92.jpgA couple more pics along the NC500 route in the North West Highlands.

• Like 2

So how much can you fit into an SC430?1-WP_20170902_003.thumb.jpg.2fc4830ab23eba95c583661fe9e9981b.jpgNot forgetting that there's the added spare space saver wheel on board and there is a large hifi install in place of the back seat of this car, with very careful packing it swallowed all of this and a little more too.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Amazing! You obviously used to do removals in a previous life!

Yes I was shocked at just how much fitted in,.It's also a quick way to lower the car.

5 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Great car and what a beautiful part of this country. I have been to Kirkmichael and that's as far north as I have been so I am going to have to put this on my bucket list.

Thanks, yes anyone that enjoys driving needs to visit the Highlands. It's definitely V8 country.   

7 hours ago, Eame64 said:

Great pics and a great looking Sc430,its a credit to you.

@Eame64 thanks Eamonn its been fun to build and fun to use. It's nice to have something a little bit different too.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

And having seen it in the flesh/metal I can confirm it looks the biz! 

Hi Phil you're too kind, has Philip bought one yet? The SC is a great car but for the long trip North I would take your LS every time. For the long haul they are simply unbeatable. I used to bring my LS430 up here even in the snow with winter tyres, better than flying club class, it just eats up the miles with effortless ease and no issues with luggage space.

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

Hi Phil you're too kind, has Philip bought one yet? The SC is a great car but for the long trip North I would take your LS every time. For the long haul they are simply unbeatable. I used to bring my LS430 up here even in the snow with winter tyres, better than flying club class, it just eats up the miles with effortless ease and no issues with luggage space.

I saw him on Sunday and he said he's spotted one for sale, I've not heard anything else yet.  I'm planning on taking my LS up to Yorkshire when I go in November.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great build what a transformation! You are right they are a wolf in sheeps clothing, i bet that sounds amazing now with that exhaust, where in the midlands did you get it done?

Headunit install looks good too!

• Like 1

Sorry matey i posted this after seeing just the 1st page!! Still getting use to the forum. MIJ is not far from me, the next 3 pages was very interesting!! What a build, alot of time and effort ploughed into this, love it

• Like 1

@rob_clio172 Cheers yes it's been fun. There's one in the US with a 2JZ big single conversion and as much as I love it as a nod to the 1JZ turbo Soarer, I think their true heritage demands a V8. Forced induction on the 3UZ is possible but the cost and journey to achieve it is scary. I didn't think I would keep it so long but it's a much better car to own than I first thought.

The exhaust does sound nice, not too loud but vocal enough to confirm it's a V8, the clip doesn't really do it justice. I may swap the merge pipe for an X pipe just to finish it off. MIJ did an exceptional job to build the offside header as it's never been done before. I would recommend them, sensible pricing, good quality, just allow plenty of time.

Installing the Alpine head unit has updated the tech a bit, I've always used high end Alpine like the 7998R for past installs but wasn't taking this one very seriously to begin with. With hindsight I wish I had gone for a higher spec and bigger screen model. At the moment I'm trying to improve the bass set up by swapping different subs, boxes and crossover settings to get the right result.

• Like 1

Yes that would be an interesting swap for sure but i do like the sound of a NA v8, nice induction set up and make it scream. I wasnt much of a fan when thses came out but like said already the more i look at them the more i like them. Especially with a few tweeks to the outside, lowered, wheels and a kit and it transforms them

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rob_clio172 said:

Yes that would be an interesting swap for sure but i do like the sound of a NA v8, nice induction set up and make it scream. I wasnt much of a fan when thses came out but like said already the more i look at them the more i like them. Especially with a few tweeks to the outside, lowered, wheels and a kit and it transforms them

I haven't done the cold air intake so far. I haven't seen any produce better results than stock and the exhaust speaks for itself. 

Oh, I really enjoyed the IS300 garage projects on you tube, :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Neil E said:

I haven't done the cold air intake so far. I haven't seen any produce better results than stock and the exhaust speaks for itself. 

Oh, I really enjoyed the IS300 garage projects on you tube, :thumbup:

Ah yeh you checked him out? Top man he is, that is sound out of this world. Thing i love about his channel is his videos from the 1st one he did are very indepth and show you so much, where as some people try to hide things or just not speak about them