Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just to add strangely while i was reading this section few days ago my car too has developed the same symptoms. 😬😤

"Check system" with red triangle and flashing Tyre sign!!!!

Why do these things need to be so damn complicated and an expense i don't want need to worry about... I personally am not a fan on TPMS but it seems it is a legal requirement for all new cars from 2014, oh well more money making ways though it does have its benefit but they should try and make it simple and easy for the average joe if it s complasary requiremtn i guess this is also MOT failure now if they see warning lights 

Anyways rants over, mine happened while i was driving  and all of a sudden it came on, i 1st thought it was low pressure but when i topped it up ( it was low on some wheels) the lights stayed on, I did press the set button under the dash but it didnt seem to want to initiate. I  been looking around and most places locally to me dont seem to have the software or cannot get the sensors. I seen some on eBay but my dilemma is i dont know if its one or more.

I agree with Leigh2000 I called up Kwik fit and the guys said he has senors in stock can and tell me which one is not responding and change it over, apparently they clone the old sensor so it looks like it the original one to the car, does this work with Lexus models?

he quoted me something like £85 all in for one  is this a fair price

4 hours ago, usuf_x said:

Just to add strangely while i was reading this section few days ago my car too has developed the same symptoms. 😬😤

"Check system" with red triangle and flashing Tyre sign!!!!

Why do these things need to be so damn complicated and an expense i don't want need to worry about... I personally am not a fan on TPMS but it seems it is a legal requirement for all new cars from 2014, oh well more money making ways though it does have its benefit but they should try and make it simple and easy for the average joe if it s complasary requiremtn i guess this is also MOT failure now if they see warning lights 

Anyways rants over, mine happened while i was driving  and all of a sudden it came on, i 1st thought it was low pressure but when i topped it up ( it was low on some wheels) the lights stayed on, I did press the set button under the dash but it didnt seem to want to initiate. I  been looking around and most places locally to me dont seem to have the software or cannot get the sensors. I seen some on ebay but my dilemma is i dont know if its one or more.

I agree with Leigh2000 I called up Kwik fit and the guys said he has senors in stock can and tell me which one is not responding and change it over, apparently they clone the old sensor so it looks like it the original one to the car, does this work with Lexus models?

he quoted me something like £85 all in for one  is this a fair price

It depends on your point of view of fair. It does seem to be the going rate to effectively replace a Battery costing less than £1.

If you do have a new sensor fitted insist on keeping the old one. You can then fit a new Battery at your liesure, and use that when the next one expires. Since they were all fitted at the same time, and get near identical use the others will fail soon making your total bill £340, and four time the wasted time.
For that money you could have bought a new set of tyres.

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

It depends on your point of view of fair. It does seem to be the going rate to effectively replace a battery costing less than £1.

If you do have a new sensor fitted insist on keeping the old one. You can then fit a new battery at your liesure, and use that when the next one expires. Since they were all fitted at the same time, and get near identical use the others will fail soon making your total bill £340, and four time the wasted time.

John

Would you say it is hard to do as a home mechanic with the aid of a good garage? If only i could have access to the software you guys use and the knowledge to actually use it.

My tyre pressure warning light has come on several times in the last week, although admittedly it does seem that the rear offside is losing some tyre pressure. 

I pumped the right tyre pressure into it on Friday and yesterday the light came back on. So I think I've got a slow leak as opposed to a TPMS issue.

5 hours ago, acepower84 said:

Would you say it is hard to do as a home mechanic with the aid of a good garage? If only i could have access to the software you guys use and the knowledge to actually use it.

YouTube is your friend, I've had a quick glance at this video and it seems pretty informative. You can get TechStream hardware and software off eBay for quite cheap.

Aside from that, you need a Tyre guy to get the tyre off the rim and then you would need someone who can solder to solder in the new tabbed Battery.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

Like all things, it looks easy when someone else is doing it 🙂

Agree looks easy when someone else is doing it.

being new to this but how is the tech stream connected to the car do you need a specific cable/plug/wireless  from the video above it did not show how or where to connect  but it does look pretty simple and intuitive to use  once in the software

11 hours ago, Britprius said:

It depends on your point of view of fair. It does seem to be the going rate to effectively replace a battery costing less than £1.

If you do have a new sensor fitted insist on keeping the old one. You can then fit a new battery at your liesure, and use that when the next one expires. Since they were all fitted at the same time, and get near identical use the others will fail soon making your total bill £340, and four time the wasted time.

John

Good idea will try and keep the old one and see If i can open it up and chnage the Battery (which looks simple enough ) should the others do happen to  play up 

Yousaf, if you search eBay for TechStream, you will see that you buy it as a USB to OBD dongle plus software. 

You need a 32 bit Windows OS equipped laptop (to make it less of a headache with getting the USB serial drivers working), install the software and drivers on the laptop, connect the OBD dongle to car and to PC and run the TechStream software.

Have a look at this video, I've not watched it (I'm at work) but it seems to show how you how to connect and use TechStream

• Like 1

2 hours ago, usuf_x said:

Agree looks easy when someone else is doing it.

being new to this but how is the tech stream connected to the car do you need a specific cable/plug/wireless  from the video above it did not show how or where to connect  but it does look pretty simple and intuitive to use  once in the software

If you are replacing the Battery in the wheel monitor you do not need Techstream as you do not need to register the monitor as it is already registered.

You also do not need to completely remove the tyre. You just need it pushed off the rim seat on the valve side so that the monitor can be removed, and replaced temporarily with a standard rubber valve. This enable you to use the car while carrying out the Battery change. Because the tyre has not been moved on the wheel rim it will not require balancing.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well an update to my car is the warning lights for the TPMS have all been successfully turned off without me actually doing anything!!!

Honest truth is that I tried to get a Terraclean service done to the car but unfortunately was not able to do it as the car would not run on the engine long enough because it kept switching to electric mode. Probably had something to do with trying to trick the fuel supply by making the engine run on the terraclean machine.

As the above had failed, all the warning lights of the world came on including check hybrid!!! To say I was annoyed was an understatement. Luckily the guy who came to do the job had an ipad installed with some software and an obd scanner that read to it. Could have been techstream or something else, I didn't know tbh. He cleared all the warning codes from the car and managed to clear the TPMS warning lights at the same time. They have now been off for a week and have not come on, the car has been driven for 250 miles and still error free, apart from the EML light which was on before as well (basic scanner read both crankshaft sensors). I still await for the arrival of the warning lights so will post again if they do come on. I will be purchasing the techstream and installing it onto my laptop. If the error does come on again, I will follow Britprius's advice on how to replace the batteries.

Thank you all for your help so far.

13 hours ago, acepower84 said:

Well an update to my car is the warning lights for the TPMS have all been successfully turned off without me actually doing anything!!!

Honest truth is that I tried to get a Terraclean service done to the car but unfortunately was not able to do it as the car would not run on the engine long enough because it kept switching to electric mode. Probably had something to do with trying to trick the fuel supply by making the engine run on the terraclean machine.

As the above had failed, all the warning lights of the world came on including check hybrid!!! To say I was annoyed was an understatement. Luckily the guy who came to do the job had an ipad installed with some software and an obd scanner that read to it. Could have been techstream or something else, I didn't know tbh. He cleared all the warning codes from the car and managed to clear the TPMS warning lights at the same time. They have now been off for a week and have not come on, the car has been driven for 250 miles and still error free, apart from the EML light which was on before as well (basic scanner read both crankshaft sensors). I still await for the arrival of the warning lights so will post again if they do come on. I will be purchasing the techstream and installing it onto my laptop. If the error does come on again, I will follow Britprius's advice on how to replace the batteries.

Thank you all for your help so far.

You should not need "Terraclean" with the GS450H as it has both direct, and indirect injection. Indirect injection keeps the back of the inlet valves, and ports clean as the injected fuel washes them.

John.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Britprius said:

You should not need "Terraclean" with the GS450H as it has both direct, and indirect injection. Indirect injection keeps the back of the inlet valves, and ports clean as the injected fuel washes them.

John.

Thank you for that John, luckily the chap hasnt got back to me regarding trying to re do it again.

3 hours ago, acepower84 said:

Thank you for that John, luckily the chap hasnt got back to me regarding trying to re do it again.

It is possible to make the engine run continuously by going into maintenance mode. If I remember correctly it can be done by a chicken dance with some of the controls, or by using Techstream. I am not sure how much engine speed control there is available in this mode.

John. 

an update from me  too I got mine sorted 😀 though i did no go to kwik fit as originally intended.

I was able to source a genuine part from a company called Yam6 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NEW-TOYOTA-LEXUS-TYRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-42607-50011-4260750011/263057936344

was able to get this down to £65 which s not too bad and the tyre guy charged £10 and got it programmed so now all sorted.

I have the  old one taken off  and  followed the instructions on this tread and have been able to take the Battery out  which is identical as shown in OP's Pictures, but im some what  confused why i would I need a tagged battery  and not a standalone 2450 Battery and solder on to the Battery.

The one i have taken out seems it was soldered at the contacts points only and the rest well glued to the unit.

will post pictures to explain but if someone or the OP can tell me what they did after it may help

36 minutes ago, usuf_x said:

I have the  old one taken off  and  followed the instructions on this tread and have been able to take the battery out  which is identical as shown in OP's Pictures, but im some what  confused why i would I need a tagged battery  and not a standalone 2450 battery and solder on to the battery.

The one i have taken out seems it was soldered at the contacts points only and the rest well glued to the unit.

will post pictures to explain but if someone or the OP can tell me what they did after it may help

It is not a good idea to solder to the button batteries as the heat required can destroy the Battery or even make it explode in flames similar to a welding torch. Lithium is a very flammable metal. The original tags are spot welded on with very localised heating

If you cannot get hold of tagged batteries you can just fit standard button cells held in place by the  cover glued on as long as the metal connecting strips are in contact with the Battery . Or by using conductive glue from "The small Battery company" in Leigh's post at the start of page two.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John.

I was considering the conductive glue my self makes life easier and ensures a good connection.

out of curiosity  what seal did you use  to seal the unit, was it the normal off the shelf bathroom type sealant?

16 minutes ago, usuf_x said:

Thanks John.

I was considering the conductive glue my self makes life easier and ensures a good connection.

out of curiosity  what seal did you use  to seal the unit, was it the normal off the shelf bathroom type sealant?

If you just fit a battery without tags or using conductive glue just glue on the unit lid without sealant so that sealant cannot get under the connection points. 
If you are using tagged batteries or are using conductive glue once this has set use any silicon bathroom type sealant of the colour you choose. A couple of cloths pegs will hold the lid on till the sealant has set.

Be sure to orientate the Battery correctly although this is reasonably obvious due to the shape of the housing.

It rely is that simple, and you are now ready for when the next one goes south.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

• 2 months later...

I'm about to change all my tyres and really not wanting the TPMS needing changing shortly after. However, I'm also not keen on changing all the batteries as a precaution in case I damage any of the sensors that are working just fine at the moment.

I've seen on other Toyota forums that Techstream will show the voltage in each TPMS sensor. I looked at my IS300h with Techstream and saw no such value being reported however.

Firstly, it may show in Techstream when connected to non-IS cars, so might be worth a look for anyone wanting to see how much life is left in their TPMS.

Secondly, anyone got any thoughts as to why a voltage is not showing on my IS in Techstream? I can see temperature, pressure (though seems 10psi too high), etc. but not voltage which would be very useful in determining life left in the TPMS. It may simply be that it's not supported.

Thanks

On 10/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, matt8 said:

I'm about to change all my tyres and really not wanting the TPMS needing changing shortly after. However, I'm also not keen on changing all the batteries as a precaution in case I damage any of the sensors that are working just fine at the moment.

I've seen on other Toyota forums that Techstream will show the voltage in each TPMS sensor. I looked at my IS300h with Techstream and saw no such value being reported however.

Firstly, it may show in Techstream when connected to non-IS cars, so might be worth a look for anyone wanting to see how much life is left in their TPMS.

Secondly, anyone got any thoughts as to why a voltage is not showing on my IS in Techstream? I can see temperature, pressure (though seems 10psi too high), etc. but not voltage which would be very useful in determining life left in the TPMS. It may simply be that it's not supported.

Thanks

Perhaps the term that should be used for report on the batteries in Techstreem is "Battery condition" it does not show actual voltage, but uses words that at the moment I cannot recall. It does not use terms like good, full, low or empty, but there is a Japanese to English translation that gives an idea of the level of charge in each Battery or should I say cell.

John. 

3 hours ago, Britprius said:

Perhaps the term that should be used for report on the batteries in Techstreem is "battery condition" it does not show actual voltage, but uses words that at the moment I cannot recall. It does not use terms like good, full, low or empty, but there is a Japanese to English translation that gives an idea of the level of charge in each battery or should I say cell.

John. 

At first I had seen that somewhere online, John. Which is better than the nothing I'm getting in mine and which I'd hoped to see in mine. It'd be useful to see Good, Low, etc.

I then however found this screenshot of Techstream too.

Which makes me think there's lots of variants of TPMS sensors, with different sensors reporting different things. See image below I had spotted.

Screenshot_20191012-180747.png

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links