Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gutted

10 years old and not a mark on it (until now) - parked in B&Q car park - out of the way I might add - at the other end of the car park, not one car near me at all and came back to this. !!

I was only in the store for 5 minutes max, took longer to walk from the car to the store door than I was in the shop....Looked on dash cam footage as it had kicked in when hit but there were a few cars driving off, could not catch the number plates as bushes obscured the view.

Guess its lucky really, damage to the bumper only so could have been a lot worse - the bang pushed the bumper out of its securing clips. Managed to get it clipped back in but there is still a gap. No one gives a **** these days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMAG0512.thumb.jpg.c9cd221a0f0680142d8907206695b680.jpg

IMAG0513.thumb.jpg.49ae6d113b3e47c4c46ea3f9080341f7.jpg

The scratches on the bumper are not seriously deep but they wont polish out - a couple might but its a paint job to get back to good. Would like to get the bumper back in line though. Anyone know how the bumpers come off.

I plan on keeping the car - its 10 years old and I will get the bumper back in line but thoughts on getting it re-sprayed? With it being a front bumper will the paint last what with the stone chips etc?

Some people just do not know how to drive. Their license should be revoked. Hitting a stationary car... That is just wrong on so many levels.

They give points on silly things like over speeding... No, man get these folks out of the road who managed to make a scooby of you and the system and you handed them license, cheaper insurance.

• Like 1

I would still report it to police - not to the insurance. Based on those 2 cars which driven off, maybe they going to match something. I have had damage on my car and know the feeling - there are some nasty people in this world.

In terms of respraying - if they do the job right it will last same as original... I would add protective film at the same time, which will be great prevention from stones and similar situations.

Had a small graze on the way home tonight, other car merging into my lane was under the impression that he had the right to move over irrespective of me being alongside him. Scuff on the front wing and door, but luckily the camera caught his number. I'll get the damage checked tomorrow and see if it's worth claiming or find his address and take a dump in his letter box.... as you say, no one gives a **** these days, that's why I'm in favour of involuntarily euthanasia..

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

Had a small graze on the way home tonight, other car merging into my lane was under the impression that he had the right to move over irrespective of me being alongside him. Scuff on the front wing and door, but luckily the camera caught his number. I'll get the damage checked tomorrow and see if it's worth claiming or find his address and take a dump in his letter box.... as you say, no one gives a **** these days, that's why I'm in favour of involuntarily euthanasia..

It is not worth "claiming", but it is worth reporting it to police and getting him to court for road offense and to repay damages. If you have him on dash cam.. that is 100% success. People nowadays are so used to claim on insurance, but in reality if you have evidence you can go via police, get 100% of the claim without excess, without hike in premiums and you can use Lexus authorised workshop... price there are eye watering, but in the end of the day it is not you who have "hit and run" and you don't need to bother. 

• Like 1

Gutting what a shame especially after so long, but at least its only a small plastic repair and a simple enough colour to match so wont ruin the car in any way having to get it repaired, still doesn't take away from the daft someone has damaged your car and just driven off.

As you can imagine I see and hear it everyday think it is more common now than ever, as cars are getting more and more complicated and paint far more expensive repair costs are getting higher and higher so people are less and les likely to admit fault, paing privately or going through the insurance costs a fortune these days!

38 minutes ago, scudney said:

furthermore it doesn't seem to take a lot these days for insurance companies to consider a car an economic right off

Ain't that the truth.  The damage in the attached picture was enough to write mine off.  It was back up on AutoTrader a few weeks ago as a Cat D.  Whoever bought it got a pretty good deal based on it's service history/mileage and being an SE-L

Bump small.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Gutted

10 years old and not a mark on it (until now) - parked in B&Q car park - out of the way I might add - at the other end of the car park, not one car near me at all and came back to this. !!

I was only in the store for 5 minutes max, took longer to walk from the car to the store door than I was in the shop....Looked on dash cam footage as it had kicked in when hit but there were a few cars driving off, could not catch the number plates as bushes obscured the view.

Guess its lucky really, damage to the bumper only so could have been a lot worse - the bang pushed the bumper out of its securing clips. Managed to get it clipped back in but there is still a gap. No one gives a **** these days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMAG0512.thumb.jpg.c9cd221a0f0680142d8907206695b680.jpg

IMAG0513.thumb.jpg.49ae6d113b3e47c4c46ea3f9080341f7.jpg

The scratches on the bumper are not seriously deep but they wont polish out - a couple might but its a paint job to get back to good. Would like to get the bumper back in line though. Anyone know how the bumpers come off.

I plan on keeping the car - its 10 years old and I will get the bumper back in line but thoughts on getting it re-sprayed? With it being a front bumper will the paint last what with the stone chips etc?

Gutted for you Shaun. That is so bloody annoying. Nothing on B&Q car park cameras? Neighbour had a similar thing in supermarket car park and it was caught on camera.

Regarding bumper removal ....there are some pretty good write ups with pics on the US forum. If I can unearth them again I will put the link up for you.

Ha, silly me, I'd made a copy for future reference, just found it  .... here it is. Hope it helps you.

Headlight and Bumper removal.docx

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scudney said:

furthermore it doesn't seem to take a lot these days for insurance companies to consider a car an economic right off

This is because off ridiculously high salvage prices

Reality with damaged used cars is often like this ..............my indy car mechanic always has a few " older " cars for sale at silly low prices ......  he buys write-offs at auction for £00s, he is very picky, knowing that a simple bumper replacement will cost the insurers several £000s, he buys replacement bits from breakers for comparative " pence " , replaces the offending part, his nephew does professional bodywork respraying, sorts out an excellent finish and the car looks like new and up for sale ..........  but not for long .........  his customers get excellent deals and he makes a very useful profit too.

Some minor scrapes and dings can't often be satisfactorily sorted so they get left, most people accept little blemishes in a secondhand car .....  awaiting the next scrape in the supermarket car park eh ! :w00t:

Malc

• Like 1

Supermarkets are a pain, i always go as far away as possible as you did.

Aldi where i live is absolutely terrible, hardly enough room for a bike let alone a car. Its about time the spaces were made wider. Its all well and good getting

x amount of spaces,and putting signs parked at owners risk. Which is as good as saying dings will happen. On one forum i am on guy states he looks for the 

cleanest vehicles and parks his wreck at the side of them sad b. Cars are written off for silly things due in part to cost of parts. Take our cars parts are not

cheap and spares are few and far between. Paint is not cheap, neither is labour costs. And when you say to these body shops its an insurance job.

£ signs are already ringing.

4 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Supermarkets are a pain, i always go as far away as possible as you did.

Aldi where i live is absolutely terrible, hardly enough room for a bike let alone a car. Its about time the spaces were made wider. Its all well and good getting

x amount of spaces,and putting signs parked at owners risk. Which is as good as saying dings will happen. On one forum i am on guy states he looks for the 

cleanest vehicles and parks his wreck at the side of them sad b. Cars are written off for silly things due in part to cost of parts. Take our cars parts are not

cheap and spares are few and far between. Paint is not cheap, neither is labour costs. And when you say to these body shops its an insurance job.

£ signs are already ringing.

Not quite true on the labour part, the average labour rate in 1991 for bodyshops was £19 an hour in 2016, 25 years later this is now
£25 pounds an hour, this is not exactly what I would call high considering the investment involved to run a bodyshop, it is also nothing compared to say a plumber or electrician.

Hire charges on none fault jobs, inherited charges, insurance fraud, paint costs and parts costs are the main contributing factors. Over 70% of body shops have closed in the last 30 years and it is getting harder and harder to make a living I promise you the vast majority of the time garages are not able to charge enough to justify the work and costs involved

• Like 1

hi Noo Bie,  is it worth asking the shop if they have cameras? or if it's a parking eye type of car park would they have a car leaving matching your pic at the same time with a clear reg?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tim1830 said:

hi Noo Bie,  is it worth asking the shop if they have cameras? or if it's a parking eye type of car park would they have a car leaving matching your pic at the same time with a clear reg?

I was thinking the same. Certainly, they can check approximately what kind of cars left the car part around that time, if you have 2-3 cars on your dash cam where you cannot work out number plates then they can quickly short list between you footage and their one which cars might be offenders. Obviously, it would have been best to do it on the day straight after an accident, but you never know.... 

22 hours ago, Wisty said:

Ain't that the truth.  The damage in the attached picture was enough to write mine off.  It was back up on AutoTrader a few weeks ago as a Cat D.  Whoever bought it got a pretty good deal based on it's service history/mileage and being an SE-L

Bump small.jpg

Ouch ! - but it looks like the bumper done its job

13 hours ago, normski2 said:

Here it is in pdf form if that's easier ... sorry wasn't thinking, 1st one was in Word document.

Headlight and Bumper removal.pdf

Thanks Normski - have downloaded it. I like to keep the PDF's on file for instances like this...

Will put it back in place for the time being - will probably look to get it re-sprayed or to get a clean one from eBay. Looking at the actual damage, I was lucky as the spot light is also marked so I think I got away lightly, although not my fault !!

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

I was thinking the same. Certainly, they can check approximately what kind of cars left the car part around that time, if you have 2-3 cars on your dash cam where you cannot work out number plates then they can quickly short list between you footage and their one which cars might be offenders. Obviously, it would have been best to do it on the day straight after an accident, but you never know.... 

11 hours ago, tim1830 said:

I checked this - only camera is in a Pizza Hut doorway pointing to the immediate area just outside the door. No car park cameras installed.

I remember reading a post a while ago about taking up two parking spots at the far reaches of a car park (where there's never anyone parked) - might adopt this !!

• Like 2

I had similar situation in Asda where somebody scratched my rear bumper... the camera was simply not pointing in that direction at the time of incident. The difference is that I did not have dash cam at the time.

That is so annoying... feel sorry for you

15 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Ouch ! - but it looks like the bumper done its job

Well there were no injuries to either occupant, so yeah I guess to an extent.  The big issue was the that the exhaust was toast, and we all know what an IS250 exhaust costs...  Naturally, they wrote it off.