Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d or IS250!!!!!!??? Heeelp

Newbie666

NoHi Guys and Gals. Been directed here from another forum happy to be here :-) 

I am about to purchase my 1st ever Lexus :-) yay me :-) but am stuck on the petrol 250 or the diesel 220d. Both are 2006-2007 with around 100-140,000 miles on the clock.

I am coming from a Vauxhall Astra ( I know I know ) so not really bothered about power comparisons as they are both going to feel like rockets... I do like 90% town shorter journeys and the odd a road / motorway every now and then. Someone suggested the diesel may not be a good option and the petrol a much better one as it's not far off the mpg of the diesel. Is this true? What are the fuel figures i.e how much to fill the tank on a 250 and how many miles from a full tank.

All help and answers hugely appreciated.

If you do a search on the forum you will see very very quickly that your choice is an absolute no brainer.  The 250 wins hands down.

Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure you will buy the right one:yes:

P.S.  I have had both cars.

• Like 2

Hi bluenose1940

Thank you very much for your reply. I think your right! On he forums with real owners I'm getting the 250 wins all day... But on sites and reading up the diesel is shown as better... But to me you can get any better than people who have actually owned them. Top man thank you... Just quickly what was the 250 like on fuel?

Welcome to the forum.

90% shorter journey's ain't gonna be good for any derv.  

You might be tempted by the lower derv fuel costs but first take some time to consider how costly repairs are on the more complex dervs...

Regarding IS250 mpg, take a look here;

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/is250

Well having owned both the IS220D and the IS250 I strongly advise you go for the IS250. It's better in every single way. Light years ahead infact and probably the most reliable car you can buy. The diesel is totally the opposite. Just read through the threads here on the forum.  I had a variety of problems myself with the diesel. 

Mpg was very poor for a diesel I found. Infact my 250 gets slightly better mpg. I can easily get low 40's on a good motorway run with cruise and even tootling around town I get low-mid 30's which isn't bad for a 2.5 litre V6 engine.

• Like 2

'57 plate 72K mile IS250 Automatic.... 36~37mpg on (as the book recomends) super unleaded, usually Tesco Momentum 99.

Morning dawdle round Oxford ring road then 20 miles at 70 MPH on cruise control where possible then dawdle through Newbury to work, 35 miles total, and the reverse in the evening.

I'm no boy racer, but if acceleration is needed then 2.5 Litres gets a move on!

Nearly forgot, generally the fuel computer shows 430~440 miles range (65L tank). I rarely fill up before 400 miles.

Andrew

Guys thank you all SO MUCH for your advise. It's really put my mind at ease now about the 250 i have obviously been reading some utter crap! Online about these cars. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Decision made now am going to get the 250... Just going to have a good hunt around now for a good one In my budget.

Last thing and I promise I'll leave you all alone lol the cars in my £2000-£2500 budget all have around 110-140,000 miles on the clock. Is that a lot of miles for a car like this? They are on as I said 2006-2007 plate. Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks

• Like 1

You made the right choice.  The 220d is not a good fit for the type of journeys you do.

Mine has 130k miles on it and has been (touch wood) reliable.  It certainly doesn't feel like a car with that mileage.

As for what to look out for, have a look at this excellent thread:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is250 se-l auto red with cream leather and sunroof. Levinson system too. I found find one tell me I want it. Seriously I have the 220d but next Lexus for me the is250 auto. I came from a corolla to the Lexus. Never buying another brand again love lexus

• Like 1

Hi Guys and Gals. Ok UPDATE!!! I have now sold my old car yay mee and am now looking for an IS 250. Have a budget of £2500 ( not a lot I know but it's all I've got ) ideally black 2007 but open to what people have. Does anyone have one for sale or know someone who's selling up.. or if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be amazing. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Newbie666 said:

I agree Paul rnx. I've seen some with 110,000 miles 115-130,000 miles. Should I steer clear?

I think to fit in your budget you're probably going to have to accept >100K miles, I was lucky I think, my '57 plate was a little over £3.5K and 69,000 miles (bought privately) from 40 miles away.

Andrew

Well, speaking from personal experience, mine had 109k miles on it when I bought it.  It now has 131k and has been generally reliable these last 2 years.

As Andrew has pointed out though, you might have to accept a higher mileage car for your budget.

Best bet is to keep checking gumtree and auto trader. You do see them at that price but be prepared to travel. 

Obviously with your budget your looking at a high miler but don't let that put you off. These engines never die.you won't find a more reliable car.

What about this one?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706216647707?make=LEXUS&model=IS 250&price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&postcode=nw90ar&page=1

By no means perfect, but it depends on how picky you want to be?  You could ask for some better pictures of the scuffs, and perhaps you could knock a few hundred off the asking price?

It also doesn't have a terrible MOT history and a full dealer service history would be a nice bonus.

The only real issue is 1 key, but as has already been mentioned, some flexibility is required.

Thanks Karen for the advice guys. I have no issue with a higher mileage car as once I've bought it il run il drive it til it does ( servicing her of course ) I've seen this one what you guys think

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/superb-black-lexus-is-250-auto-beige-leather-paddle-shift-gears-history-alloys-tinted-px/1259614772