Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d or IS250!!!!!!??? Heeelp

Newbie666

2 hours ago, Newbie666 said:

Thanks Karen for the advice guys. I have no issue with a higher mileage car as once I've bought it il run il drive it til it does ( servicing her of course ) I've seen this one what you guys think

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/superb-black-lexus-is-250-auto-beige-leather-paddle-shift-gears-history-alloys-tinted-px/1259614772

I would avoid this one based on its MOT history.  It looks like it is going to need some work done on it soon.

It is also not an SE-L as advertised since it doesn't have the Xenon lights or wooden centre console.

I do find it funny he also states that it is very good on fuel because it goes 50 miles on £10. :smile:

16 hours ago, J Henderson said:

If it's been serviced accordingly, there's little reason to be scared by a 6-figure mileage.

I believe @Linas.P's car has covered over 150,000 miles.

125 miles left to 170k, however that is not the same story for IS220d as far as I know.

@Newbie666 based on your driving - IS220d is no brainier. Diesel (any diesel) is not suitable for the city and short journeys, it will give you slightly better MPG, but you won't feel that because you will have continuous issues with DPF and ERG. I would say there are not that much bad about IS220d as much is people driving this car incorrectly and in wrong conditions - for motorways 20k-30k miles per year it is fine, but in the city it makes no sense.

Myself driving in every morning peak in London - I would say the MPG you can expect is ~26-28. On motorway you can do 40 if you stick to speed limits. For 220d you can add extra 4MPG in city and maybe 6-8 on motorway. But then you will have rather weird gear rations to deal with and no auto option (Auto box as well is more reliable than MT). Choice is yours, but based on your driving you will have more problems with IS220d than benefits.

WOW shahpor thank you so much. I was like LITERALLY going to go view this car today and pull the trigger if it was ok. You've saved me a couple of grand mate lifesaver! So he SE has normal lights and centre console and the SE - L has xenon's and wood console? Also how did you check the not history and know it would need work soon? I don't know much about these cars so bit unsure what to look for

• Like 1

Thank you Farqui. Im just so eager to get into a 250 lol but most 05-07 online are up for like £4500! Some are very over priced I've seen 05's with 140,000 for £4000. I guess I just have to be patient

• Like 1

Beware of the Manual option...not nice on the tax front >£500 ooouch! And (so I'm LED to believe) an altogether different driving experience to the auto.

paul m.

• Like 1

Ah yes, good spot Paul - I'd focused on the mileage and price.

My GS only came in an auto so it seems i'm somewhat out of practice looking at the type of box.

1 hour ago, Newbie666 said:

WOW shahpor thank you so much. I was like LITERALLY going to go view this car today and pull the trigger if it was ok. You've saved me a couple of grand mate lifesaver! So he SE has normal lights and centre console and the SE - L has xenon's and wood console? Also how did you check the not history and know it would need work soon? I don't know much about these cars so bit unsure what to look for

Not a problem. :smile:

The website that Lee has linked has all the answers for you.

Yep, the wood trim was only available on the SE-L, and the Xenon's were standard.  For reference, the console on SE-L's looks like this:

2.thumb.jpg.e313e9a5a794183248a571f7f8b6f103.jpg

Also, the Xenon lights have washer jets, which you can see from the covers on the bumpers:

1.jpg.efd9368264bd1407c4729b32db5f501b.jpg

Although at your price point, you would be very lucky to get a SE-L.:smile:  An SE is most likely.

• Like 1

I think a budget of 2.5K for an IS250 auto is a bit unrealistic. Judging by the examples we've seen, there is a reason they are being offered at a low price and this is because they are likely to need some money spent on them unless the intention is to run them until they stop or fail the MOT. You might be lucky and find a cheap example which has been well maintained but you will need patience and a keen eye.

Good luck in any case.

• Like 1

You'll be lucky to get a decent ford or vauxhall with that sort of budget never mind a lexus and if you do find one it will be near the end of its life and you'll be constantly putting your hand in your pocket.

If money is tight then a 2.5 litre V6 petrol is not the best choice as these cars drink the stuff.

Thanks a lot gents. Really appreciate all the advice. The running costs i.e petrol won't be an issue it's just the purchase price. I can save and have a better budget no probs its just i had the 2.5k and am bit eager for a Lexus lol it's a case of wanting one now lol. I think il just hold out keep adding to the budget and if one pops up in my price range and condition great. U guys are awesome

• Like 1

I know this is probably not going to be a popular option but could you borrow a little to up your budget a bit?

I do think that it is sometimes a false economy to buy a cheaper car since you end up spending more in the long run on repairs than you would if you had just bought the more expensive car in the first place.

It is a good idea to keep adding to your budget and not be hasty, but I am just thinking of a situation where a nice one is potentially available before you have enough cash saved.

Ah yea I could have extra money there if I need it Shahpor. Naturally would rather not borrow but if one does pops up then yea could have extra money. Yea i think you're right am now looking at the 60-70k mileage mark as opposed to the 120-140,000 

• Like 1

Hi guys. There's a possibility that I MAY be able to get this car at £2800 am negotiating with the owner as we speak. What you guys think. It's an SE-L but doesn't have sat Nav???? Anywho good car bad car?

25 minutes ago, Newbie666 said:

Hi guys. There's a possibility that I MAY be able to get this car at £2800 am negotiating with the owner as we speak. What you guys think. It's an SE-L but doesn't have sat Nav???? Anywho good car bad car?

Do you have a link to the car?

14 minutes ago, Newbie666 said:

A couple of things...

The alloys look a bit corroded - may give you an issue in the future but can be cleaned up.

There are parking sensors but no screen yet its a Mark Levinson system - someone may chip in to say that because its an early model it does not have a screen (sat nav etc) and parking sensors work independently ? I guess with it not having a rear view camera it works without the screen

It has full service history so its guaranteed to have all of the essential work done on it. Two recalls due - Fuel seal and Airbag. Check if fuel seal has been done but the airbag recall is just going through

Mileage is ok and I would not be concerned about the relatively high mileage. Check the service details with the dealer. Also, check the exhaust, at this age of car you may find its starting to rot and its a bit of a hassle to replace.

£2800 is a fair price to be honest especially if it does have the full lexus service history

33 minutes ago, Newbie666 said:

There's also this one 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172786817272

Not as good as the gumtree one in my opinion - due to the spec of it being an SE yet the description does say it has the nav system - does it have the Mark Levinson sound system and the rear camera?

Both have good mileages - this one has a service history as per the other one but does not state whether its through Lexus. If it was then I would expect that it would be mentioned. The MOT histories on both are what you would expect - no issues other than wear and tear.

In that respect - its what you want from the cars - the gumtree one has a sunroof - this one doesn't. The gumtree one doesn't have the nav system - this one does. The gumtree one has a Lexus service history - does this one? Both cars are similar mileage - Both cars have a good MOT history. Gumtree one is a good price and gives you a bit of cash to play with if any issues are noticed

Check my post on what to look out for on an IS250 - it will give you a good idea on what to check if looking/comparing both.

What to look out for - Lexus IS250 (2007 model year)