Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Locking Doors on RX450h

Hi,

Hoping someone could help.  I have a RX450h (65 plate just before the new shape) and I am surprised it does not have auto locking doors.  I have had 2x RX before (RX350 & RX400h) and I am sure they had auto lock.  I've gone through the menu and the manual and can't find any info.

My OH has 'Carista' and say's that he can do for me, if I could get it sorted through the dealer, I would prefer (I haven't approached them yet)

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Nikki.  Not sure what you mean ?  All my doors auto lock once underway on a journey,  all lock from the fob and from the handle sensor, also all re-lock if I unlock the vehicle but don't enter it.  Or is it something different you're referring to ?

Hi Steve,

Sorry, not explained myself properly!  I mean once you've got in the car, start the engine and drive off the doors don't automatically lock.  I know you can manually lock the doors and the doors will automatically unlock when you put the car in 'park'.  Hope that makes more sense?

Thanks

Yes, mine auto lock when underway.  Not sure if it's after a certain time or when a certain speed has been reached.  I don't know how to activate this feature sorry.  I'd have thought it would be in the manual, don't have mine to hand at the mo.

21 minutes ago, nikkinakkinooow said:

Thanks Graham,

I'm sure I have done this and the option just wasn't there, but I will definitely give it another go.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Nikki

The option should be there. It was in my 3RX as well and should be exactly as Graham has showed 

Make sure you do this when the car is fully turned on. 

You can have them to lock when taking out from PARK, and also when getting up to speed. 

Having said that,  I believe there was a safety issue in RXs post 2014 and issue remember reading that vehicles had had this option removed.

Mine was an early post-facelift 2012 F Sport. Can others confirm which year there's is? 

Thanks Rayanns for the info.

My car is a 2015 F sport so your info would make sense.

I've yet to go through the pdf that Graham kindly posted, I am sure I tried this before but will give it another go.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, nikkinakkinooow said:

Thanks Rayanns for the info.

My car is a 2015 F sport so your info would make sense.

I've yet to go through the pdf that Graham kindly posted, I am sure I tried this before but will give it another go.

Thanks again

Perhaps get the menu up and put a few pics up so we can see if its the same?

Let us know how you get on.

So had another chance to go through the menu and the option for auto locking doors is not there, so Rayaans comment on the safety feature must be correct.  I have attached pics of the options.

Rayaans I read your review of your new RX450 with great interest some interesting points (great interior colour)  Out of interest Rayaans does the new model have auto locking doors?

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Curious that the options to auto-unlock are there but nothing to auto-lock?

12 hours ago, nikkinakkinooow said:

So had another chance to go through the menu and the option for auto locking doors is not there, so Rayaans comment on the safety feature must be correct.  I have attached pics of the options.

Rayaans I read your review of your new RX450 with great interest some interesting points (great interior colour)  Out of interest Rayaans does the new model have auto locking doors?

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3120.JPG

Yep that's the safety issue that lead to them removing it from the 3RX after 2014. The 4RX has auto locking doors and so does my wife's IS. I think the issue was only on 3RX after 2014

14 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yep that's the safety issue that lead to them removing it from the 3RX after 2014. The 4RX has auto locking doors and so does my wife's IS. I think the issue was only on 3RX after 2014

My 2016 RC has the auto-locking feature.

What was the safety issue they had with the 3RX?

11 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

My 2016 RC has the auto-locking feature.

What was the safety issue they had with the 3RX?

Lexus discovered midway through some model ranges that the doors would auto lock but if in an accident, vehicles like the RX and GS wouldn't auto unlock the doors should the airbags go off - some customers in the states got trapped and sued. 

To solve this, they just removed the option instead of programming it differently.

The new Lexus models all auto unlock should the airbags go off and therefore it's no longer a problem.

• Like 1

Mine's a December 2014 F-Sport and the feature mentioned is not present.  It's no bother though to simply press the "lock all doors" button when you get in to drive away.  The feature was introduced generally (via many car makers) as an anti-hijack feature, not something a lot of us need worry about unless in some urban sprawls.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2017 NX has auto locking and I find it most useful. With regard to removing auto locking functions, Nissan have done the same thing with the current Qashqai. My wife's Duke had auto locking, I replaced it with a new Qashqai and that doesn't.

7 hours ago, Adrian28 said:

My 2017 NX has auto locking and I find it most useful. With regard to removing auto locking functions, Nissan have done the same thing with the current Qashqai. My wife's Duke had auto locking, I replaced it with a new Qashqai and that doesn't.

All the new Lexus range have auto lock doors I believe now as the fault has been sorted. Don't know why Nissan have removed it.