Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 1000 mile review

My household is theoretically the owner of three current Lexus models until the end of the month (see signature). I thought I'd do a brief review of each on the relevant thread, essentially aimed at helping people considering.

Model

This is the current (pre-impending facelift) NX300h F Sport with premium nav.

This gets it most of the good stuff - sport styling/leather, radar/sensors/pre-crash, auto tailgate, electric adjustment on steering wheel and seats, and so on. Missing are some of the safety aids such as HUD and BLIS, and I have no sunroof of any kind. 

Interior

The interior will divide opinion. I think it is superb, but I can see why others are less enthused. 

Firstly, there is quality everywhere. There is plenty of leather and some excellent padding all round. Nothing in here feels cheap at all. No one would dispute that. 

Secondly, I like the way the driver's side feels like a cockpit. Unlike most SUVs (including the RX), the centre panel is set inwards, essentially enveloping you (and mimicking, cleverly in my view, the basic outline of the grille). 

Thirdly, there are some nice touches (like touch sensor light switches), some pleasant touches (like knee padding), and some frankly bizarre touches (like a centre console cover which, when lifted out and turned over, is also a mirror). 

I also have the Qi charger - adaptors to enable the Iphone to work on this typically cost less than a tenner. 

Exterior

Again, this will split opinion. Some will suggest it looks like any modern Japanese SUV. Some will suggest it is a literally outstanding proposition. Needless to say I'm in the latter, particularly with the F Sport.

The auto tailgate is slow, but can be stopped with any of the buttons depressed briefly. It is useful that the car can be locked or unlocked via any door, but why not also the boot?

It looks pleasant from the back, outstanding from the side, and like a Samurai from the front. Take your pick!

Infotainment

A bit of a niggle here - the logbook still hasn't arrived so I cannot register it on "My Lexus", thus the premium nav still isn't working despite the fact I'm paying for it. Ugh!

Let's not get too upset, but it is true infotainment remains a weak link for Lexus. I am still not yet comfortable with the laptop-mouse-style controller, which is too easy to depress. That could, seriously, be a deal breaker for some. 

That said, there are a few nice touches; for example, the Nav now distinguishes between an outright expressway (a dual carriageway with left exit only) and a regular dual carriageway - that is potentially quite useful. The screen is good quality too, although gathers dust too easily. 

One really good point is the audio. This is not ML is the F Sport but it has extra speakers and is really good, even in the back and even over Bluetooth. Although I believe the car lacks volume control, it barely needs it.

Driving

This has been a very pleasant surprise. Certainly I miss the IS's turning circle and its comparative pace, but the NX is absolutely no slouch and I find it almost as good. The steering is direct, the ride is smooth (even if bumps do cause too much of a crash in the F Sport), and bar the odd mis-step the radar cruise is sublime (I have managed 20 miles using only he steering wheel and cruise lever with decent consumption levels).

Reliability

It is too early to say but this thing feels like it is built like a brick. I am currently on around 37mpg (over 40mpg since last fill, mind, so I'll keep watching that!)

Summary

The truth is I wondered about this car at the start because it is so different and there were so many aspects to get used to. 

However, with 1000 miles on the board I am now totally enthused. Getting the premium nav working would complete the set and, assuming it operates as it did in the IS, I would have no hesitation in recommending at least a test drive.

IMG_0235.PNG

• Like 4

You can lock/unlock all the doors form the hatch. The main rubber opener unlocks all the doors with a first press and opens the boot hatch with a second. To lock the car from the back, there is a small rubber button to the rear of the main hatch opener which you press. Take a look. 

Yes the interior really is a love it or hate it kind of affair. My wife didn't like it, I thought it was fine. Main problem was the front interior space - or lack of it. It felt like a higher version of the IS i.e. had that cocooned feeling and didn't feel any bigger inside to me and smaller than my 3RX which is about the same size.

How do you find the drivetrain knowing that the NX is heavier and has less power than the IS?

The drivetrain was the deal breaker for me - I would have ordered a Mesa Red/Red F-Sport NX with Premier pack and pan roof but I just couldn't get on with the drivetrain after driving a 3RX for so long.

I guess, not least because I'd read your posts, that I was prepared for a comparative loss in power. Personally, I'm scarcely bothered at all - there's one particular rise on a motorway near me that I miss it on (while clearing traffic), but otherwise I can't think of a time I've really missed it. As I say, it's actually the IS's turning circle I miss more (you still have that in your household I guess!)

2 hours ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

I guess, not least because I'd read your posts, that I was prepared for a comparative loss in power. Personally, I'm scarcely bothered at all - there's one particular rise on a motorway near me that I miss it on (while clearing traffic), but otherwise I can't think of a time I've really missed it. As I say, it's actually the IS's turning circle I miss more (you still have that in your household I guess!)

Yes, but rarely get to drive the IS! Only on the odd occasion. 

Just out of interest, I find I can unlock all the doors from the boot hatch, but not lock them. That doesn't bother me because you can lock all the doors from a back door. 

My issue is you cannot just leave the auto tailgate to close with the car then locked - you have to wait for it to close, and then lock the car. A minor irritation but, y'know, why Lexus why?!

Ian,

I had trouble with My Lexus & My Toyota for our cars until I registered both new car's Navs on their respective  MM & not on-line.

I selected easy single case passwords &, once I realised that the planned journey was in the Nav's Memory & not on the M-Point on the Main Screen,the system works perfectly. I changed the Toyota e-mail too despite the My Lexus/ Toyota Team insisting they could be the same & then educated both Dealers !

Tel

Hi Tel,

Sorry, guide me through that again...

I have tried connecting the car to MyLexus both under a new registration and on my pre-existing one, by typing in the 16-digit code online on MyLexus as instructed. 

When I go to the car to do anything - there are two routes to entering my details - it comes up "ID=00". 

I have no means of accessing "external memory points" because the car is not linked to MyLexus as it has responded to attempts at entering the password with "ID=00".

When I consulted my dealer, they said I needed to verify the vehicle before it would work but even now, on 28 July after a 3 July pick-up, the DVLA has not provided Lexus Financial Services with the logbook. I am not totally convinced that is the problem actually (I never verified my last vehicle), but then I'm not convinced it isn't either. 

What have you done differently?

Ian,

You need your Log Book Data to Verify your car with My Lexus that then "awaits" the registration of the MM assigned to  that vehicle.

Can you not contact the DVLA for the Log-Book  as this protocol is new for 2017 cars.

Tel

It's on a lease, so I am at the mercy of the dealer who is at the mercy of Lexus Financial Services (who are perhaps at the mercy of the DVLA). 

I think after a month I'll lose my patience, though!

On 22/07/2017 at 0:12 PM, malcolmw said:

You can lock/unlock all the doors form the hatch. The main rubber opener unlocks all the doors with a first press and opens the boot hatch with a second. To lock the car from the back, there is a small rubber button to the rear of the main hatch opener which you press. Take a look. 

Well you learn something new every day,  thanks for that.