Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT Likes/Dislikes

Ian J. Parsley

I'm not keen on car reviews really but Carwow's do have an interesting aspect of "five likes and dislikes", which are often fun and quirky. 

If we maybe limit it to three for each model, what are ours?

For my wife's CT after 20,000 miles, here are mine...

Dislikes

The passenger side has too much plastic for a premium car - it's good quality plastic but still plastic.

The DAB is an unnecessary rigmarole, with various ensembles making it awkward just to go through all stations.

There is scant storage in the back - if you have kids/teenagers, expect it soon to fill up with wrappers, pens, hair bands, entry passes, safety pins, napkins... (spot who's just done a clear out).

The steering wheel is sublime; beautiful to handle, looks and feels good.

You can turn the car off without shifting the gear lever. A subtle thing but it just works!

The cover for the auxiliary/USB ports is beautifully finished - subtle things like that do add a premium touch.

Over to other owners...

Dont own one but had enough experience of them as loaners over the past 5 years or so. Also a question for you Ian.... looking at the price of the CT and the price of a VW Golf, would you still class the CT as a premium car? Of course it depends on whether you feel the Golf is a premium vehicle.

Dislikes-

1. Road noise - seems a subjective thing but for me the road-noise is a tad high on motorways - not much of a problem in town
  2. Stereo - some of the lower spec models have a basic sound system which sounds tinny to me
  3. Low doors - have to be careful when parking up against high kerbs or on sideway inclines not to scrape the door on the pavement

Likes-

1. Drivetrain is very economical for its CC and weight of the vehicle itself
  2. With the new facelift - the car itself looks very smart
  3. Seats are nice and comfy
  • Like 1

It occurred to me I should have placed 3. under my dislikes too! 

Funny, I've just parked it behind a Golf. "Premium" to me personally refers to a brand, so on that basis I would say CT is and Golf isn't. But "desirable"? I'd say they both probably are. And that's more important, for me. 

In general I find VW hard to place. I've always thought of it as in between Ford and Volvo, if that makes sense. But it's subjective of course!

Ok, had mine 10 months,,,,

the dislikes-

1. The passenger seatbelt when not in use rattles on the b-pillar. Havent found anything that will stick inbetween that works.

2. Road noise on motorway. 

3. Best cvt i test drove by a country mile however i do find it over revs on hills until speed builds up.

the likes-

1. While no car matches the quoted mpg this is the most economical car ive had and regularly get 54mpg +

2. The hybrid works seamlessly and switching between battery/ engine around town the car is very very quiet. Very easy car to drive.

3. Paint quality/ finish. No orange peel anywhere... try that on a ford or vauxhall lol. 

• Like 3

My Dislikes are pretty m7ch the same as already mentioned but I'll still repeat some of them:

1. Good space is poor and will result in upgrading to a larger model when more kids arrive 

2. This might be specific to my model and age but I'm confused by the lack of rear parking sensors as standard. 

3. Battery size is appalling when compared to the Prius. Yes they serve a different market but it annoys me when you know there is better Battery tech out there. 

1. Despite the smaller batteries I can still get 50+ mpg. 

2. Comfort is good. Having driven similarly sized nissans and fords the CT is miles ahead

3. Sport Mode. I still get to have once in a while.

And for the love of god, could someone explain to me the significance of the separate blue and red LED above the central console. It's freaking me out!

With you all on all of those, including that last question - what is that all about?!

I currently have a courtesy on the driveway and, likewise, am amazed by lack of rear parking sensors (though it does have the basic camera). 

2 hours ago, TwitchyArmadillo said:

And for the love of god, could someone explain to me the significance of the separate blue and red LED above the central console. It's freaking me out!

the blue and red leds above the centre console change colour ,when you are in sport mode and the dashlights are red

so is the overhead LED ,when in normal or eco the LED turns back to blue

• Like 1

What I think.

Dislike:

As stated the low ride height making doors strike high curbs.

Road noise but now only on my rear as they are awful Goodyears but I've replaced the fronts with Kumhos and extremely quiet.

Well everything really. Mine is the SE L Premier with every extra specced. I will emphasise it is very comfortable. The most comfortable car I've ever owned.

Also the effortless drive.

The rear camera makes me lazy now when parking haha. Wouldn't be without one now.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TwitchyArmadillo said:

My Dislikes are pretty m7ch the same as already mentioned but I'll still repeat some of them:

1. Good space is poor and will result in upgrading to a larger model when more kids arrive 

2. This might be specific to my model and age but I'm confused by the lack of rear parking sensors as standard. 

3. Battery size is appalling when compared to the Prius. Yes they serve a different market but it annoys me when you know there is better battery tech out there. 

1. Despite the smaller batteries I can still get 50+ mpg. 

2. Comfort is good. Having driven similarly sized nissans and fords the CT is miles ahead

3. Sport Mode. I still get to have once in a while.

The Blue and Red LED lighting matches your driving mode. Blue = ECO, Red = SPORT.

• Like 1

My dislikes

1.Small fuel tank - forever having to find another fuel station.

2. Although there are cubbies in the boot, they are small and fiddly to use.  In fact I'm thinking about taking the whole cover out for extra useable space.

3. Cruise control. Why can't it be 'on' all of the time?  Plus I had a speed limiter on my last car which was great for extended 50mph road works sections.

1. Beautifully smooth and quiet to drive (yes there are some crabby roads and it will be noisy for any car).

2. Very comfortable to drive and I love that floating, gliding silence when on full electric.

3. People look at me whilst driving (which I haven't had since I owned a 911!) and I have had lots of positive remarks about how good the car looks. YEAH!

* The hybrid drive - silence at low speed/stop, seamless acceleration, productive braking, fuel economy

* The comfort

* The many features (F-Sport), especially rear camera and auto-everything

Dislikes:

* Lack of storage

* Low doors scrap against the pavement :sad:

* Looks from the back

3 hours ago, stormchaser said:

I wouldn't say 45 litres is a small tank. I only fill up every 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends how many miles you do ...

Also my previous car was a 60 litre tank!

Disklikes 

1. Lack of foot and storage space in rear aswell as lack of arm rest and cupholders on back.

2. Front doors are very low. Lower than my friends bmw 3 series msport coupe. Can get very annoying remembering to tell passengers to be carefull or else theyll scrape the pavement.

3. Parts are usually expensive in the uk especially for modifiying as most custom things are imported.

1.Comfort! Im young but have had medical problems with my back and found this the most comfortable seats and positioning in its class. If you get the electric seats with heated seats even better.

2. Quality is very good as well as styling of the vehicle! 

3. Desirability? I always get complemented on the car and many people think its faster than it actually is as theyre not too familiar wuth it. I have noticed quite a few people i know who have bought CTs after seeing mine..

Overall its a very good car and people love to be passengers. I have the premier and the mark levinson sound system blows people away in terms sound quality. 

All of my friends talk about my car as being a luxury car lol. 

I've just thought of another 'Dislike'.  I know we are only allowed 3, but hey.  Why is it that when you initiate cruise control the display on the dash clears?  I'm kinda addicted to the display that shows where the power is coming from and every time you switch cruise on, it goes blank.  MEH

• Like 1

8 months in my ..

likes 1.comfy seats 2.dual zone a/c 3.cars looks

dislikes 1.dab tuning insane 2. sat nav setting complicated 3.reserve indicator in fuel gauge,would prefer empty indication personally.

To be fair, that's a good call for the fourth dislike! Don't know why "Set" couldn't just appear briefly elsewhere, rather than disturbing the info display. 

A mild irritation, but that's kind of the point here :)

3 months now with F-Sport. Loving it.

-LED illumination for cup holders, utterly pointless but so cool
-Black interior roof lining
-Effortless driving around town

Dislikes
-'Ready' indicator on dashboard - ready for what?
-Driving Mode resets itself to 'Normal' each time you start vehicle
-Small fuel tank on longer journeys causes range anxiety

10 months, 11k miles.

- seat comfort, and the proper leather
- the fact you can switch off without worrying about gear lever etc.

Dislikes:
- the DAB system is useless and utterly un-intuitive.  Gave up after 5 mins, I'll stick with FM.
- the scatter gun approach to the warning/info lights on the instrument binnacle.  There is no pattern nor rhyme or reason to their placement, it's almost as if they said "that'll do".  All my other cars they have been arranged with some semblance of logic and order.
- very soft black velvet paint, a bugger to keep swirl free.

and a 4th - the bloody annoying, insane beep when you put it in reverse.  I know it's in reverse, I put it there, just shut T F up!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rednotdead said:

10 months, 11k miles.

- seat comfort, and the proper leather
- the fact you can switch off without worrying about gear lever etc.

Dislikes:
- the DAB system is useless and utterly un-intuitive.  Gave up after 5 mins, I'll stick with FM.
- the scatter gun approach to the warning/info lights on the instrument binnacle.  There is no pattern nor rhyme or reason to their placement, it's almost as if they said "that'll do".  All my other cars they have been arranged with some semblance of logic and order.
- very soft black velvet paint, a bugger to keep swirl free.

and a 4th - the bloody annoying, insane beep when you put it in reverse.  I know it's in reverse, I put it there, just shut T F up!

There's a v good reason for that beep.  It lets you know the reversing speakers are working.  The story I get told is that a Jag owner slipped it into reverse and continued to reverse, waiting for the beeps. With a broken speaker and no beeps he assumed he had plenty of room. You get the picture. If you don't hear the initial beep then don't rely on the sensors. They ain't working!

1 hour ago, TwitchyArmadillo said:

There's a v good reason for that beep.  It lets you know the reversing speakers are working.  The story I get told is that a Jag owner slipped it into reverse and continued to reverse, waiting for the beeps. With a broken speaker and no beeps he assumed he had plenty of room. You get the picture. If you don't hear the initial beep then don't rely on the sensors. They ain't working!

That doesn't explain why it keeps beeping in reverse, I could understand one, but not the incessant noise.  I believe it can be switched off by the dealer so next time it goes in...  And the sensors are crap anyway, the worst I've ever had in any car, especially the front ones.  Why can't Lexus get these simple things right?

1 hour ago, Rednotdead said:

That doesn't explain why it keeps beeping in reverse, I could understand one, but not the incessant noise.  I believe it can be switched off by the dealer so next time it goes in...  And the sensors are crap anyway, the worst I've ever had in any car, especially the front ones.  Why can't Lexus get these simple things right?

Can be turned off easily by the dealer. 

Sensors are fine and ive had plenty of vehicles. Make sure they're adjusted to long distance by going in the menus. Short distance doesn't give ample warning

The sensors are designed to help you judge where a large solid object is. It is NOT designed to pick up thin objects or low objects as the car will end up picking up kerbs and bumps in normal driving due to the cars relatively low ride height