Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance renewal time

floggit

That time a year again, just been quoted £318 from privelige. Im 49.

i know theres a lot of variables but anyone of similar age pay about that? Thats no breakdown cover as on lexus 3yr cover.

any recomendations to try?

tia

Saga seem to be doing " new " quotes and business at a discount right now ....  even if you have a second car with them already insured

But it's simply a lottery, a throw of the dice

Malc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

Saga seem to be doing " new " quotes and business at a discount right now ....  even if you have a second car with them already insured

But it's simply a lottery, a throw of the dice

Malc

Just checked they seem to say you need to be 50+. Worth a quote if they take younger drivers :whistling1:

holy cow.... they just quoted me £447, thats a no then lol

I'm 59 but need business cover for both myself (self-employed computer tech) and my wife (Civil Servant); the car has been modified to run on LPG, and a few other little quirks make car insurance a bit of a nightmare. However, https://www.aplan.co.uk/ were the cheapest by a long way for us and they do seem to be good to deal with so it's got to be worth a bit of time and the price of a call to see what they can do for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Try Direct Line, I pay £180/yr Yes, I'm (cough) just a bit older than you (cough) but worth a call. Or use their online quote form..

293 from directline which is better

54 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

I'm 59 but need business cover for both myself (self-employed computer tech) and my wife (Civil Servant); the car has been modified to run on LPG, and a few other little quirks make car insurance a bit of a nightmare. However, https://www.aplan.co.uk/ were the cheapest by a long way for us and they do seem to be good to deal with so it's got to be worth a bit of time and the price of a call to see what they can do for you.

Filled out their form, awaiting call back or ill ring them friday.

my renewals in 3weeks so have some time 

• Like 1

try the NFU and no, you don't need to be a farmer .......  my nephew gets all his insurances through them ....  40+ and 3 cars and house and dogs cover .................  

BUT as I say. it's a lottery a throw of the dice

Malc

• Like 1

£311 with Aviva and I'm the same age as you floggit, (although I won't be in just over 3 weeks) :(

I don't know if you use cashback sites, but Topcashback are offering £50.50 on new Aviva car insurance policies.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, given me some more places to quote. 

Esure from the main comparison sites coming in around £280 but never heard of them. Got some free time friday so will try the independants then.

one thing that gets my goat is the automatic renewal that privelige do. If and when you get a better quote you still have to ring them. Then they try and match your best price ,but that annoys me that as a valued customer you dont get their best price first !. Thats the game i suppose.

Esure are the same lot as privilege I think. Thing to watch with them is high admin charges for any changes.   Had family members with them, one if which had a non fault claim which went ok but took months to get the excess back. 

When I first started driving I was with admiral and every year at renewal I got a quote from elephant who were the same company behind the scenes. I'd phone up Admiral and provide them the elephant quote reference, they'd look it up and then match. I got fed up of that game eventually and moved to someone else. 

I am also with Hastings, and initially got a high £380 quote for my renewal with nothing in the way of extras. After much pushing on the phone I got them down to £280 with NCP, personal accident, guaranteed courtesy car, breakdown cover, with an excess of £250, and zero voluntary excess. You really have to haggle.

John

• Like 2

Don't know how you get such low quotes. Lowest I found was DirectLine around £330 which I passed from previous experience with them. I am going with Privilege. Which is £390 without any extra. 

1 hour ago, jido said:

Don't know how you get such low quotes.

That's the point really - insurance is such a dodgy game that even quotes with the same company can vary with the wind direction, what colour your socks are etc., etc. And you can never get like-for-like quotes anymore because they all offer something different. I long to go back in time to when you would just ask for a 'fully comprehensive' policy and it did what it said on the tin.

I have always said that if it is a legal requirement the same as Road Tax then it should be supplied by the government and not allowed to be sold via private companies.

• Like 1

My wife, who is a little younger, got £288 (with lots of years of no claims). Typically premiums are a little higher in Northern Ireland because of a slightly different legal set-up, so all other things being equal you should be able to beat that.

• Like 1

Renewed mine 2 weeks ago and ended up with Hastings.  It worked out to £357 for my 39 year old self with a £95 excess.  Slightly annoying was the fact that it was £37 cheaper when I did a quote 3 weeks before, but my insurance didn't go up this year so I suppose I can't complain.

my insurance last year for my IS300h came in at £388,this year my renewal came in at £517 these prices where from Aviva

i queried the price and asked if my aviva drive app discount had been applied ,after it was applied my quote came

down to £370 so very happy with that price.

50 minutes ago, 200h said:

my insurance last year for my IS300h came in at £388,this year my renewal came in at £517 these prices where from Aviva

i queried the price and asked if my aviva drive app discount had been applied ,after it was applied my quote came

down to £370 so very happy with that price.

I'm a little worried about trying the app in case my premium goes up, although my driving style is a lot more sensible since I got the Lexus.

I was with Aviva last year too and the renewal only went up a couple of quid this year.

thar your premium wont go up ,if you didnt meet the criteria you will pay the price thats been quoted

then depending  what score you get will depend what discount you will receive ,you only

have to use the app for 200 miles and can manually start the app, this way only the journeys you want to

record will be recorded so if you get up late for work one day you wouldn't record that journey :wink3:.

at the end of the day thar you have nothing to lose and everything to gain,just make sure your google

account email address is the same you use for Aviva as the 2 can be paired up.

40 minutes ago, thar said:

I was with Aviva last year too and the renewal only went up a couple of quid this year.

See!! That's why I hate insurance! I too was with Aviva last year and nothing changed at my end, no accidents, no change of address, absolutely NO change of anything - and yet my premium almost doubled from £385 to £720!!!!

Of course, I queried it but the best they could do was £632 and no one could explain to me why it had gone up so much. The manager did point out that insurance premium tax had gone up but admitted that that wouldn't account for all of the increase. They wouldn't put me in touch with the underwriters but they supposedly did question it with them but basically the reply was almost 'because we can'.