Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450H my first Lexus

Farqui

I had a brief drive at lunchtime and logged fuel trims via Torque, not something I've tried before.

I see bank 2 long term fuel trim is on average 7.4% higher than bank 1.

LTFT bank 2 max'd at 16.4% vs 9.4% for bank 1.  20% seems to be the limit where a CEL will be thrown.

LTFT bank 2 averaged 9.1% vs 1.7% for bank 1.

LTFT bank 2 min'd at 9.1% vs -.8 for bank 1.

So bank 2 is adding more fuel, to account for a lean condition, which suggests an issue on just bank 2 right?  More fuel is being added so maybe a vacuum leak, an exhaust leak, bad o2 sensor?

Curiously the short term fuel trims were very similar on both banks.

I need to do a few more tests and add more sensors as I didn't get any o2 voltage readings with this set...so I can't see if a sensor is misbehaving.  I didn't track both  upper and lower exhaust sensors either.

Would appreciate some input from someone more familiar with fuel trim readings and sensor testing.

The short term trims appear to working as expected, which suggests that the o2 sensors are good.

I can't see any exhaust leaks but it's really tight up at the manifold and the top o2/afr sensor.

I disconnected the Battery for a few minutes which reset the long term fuel trims and then logged a test drive (logging more sensors).  After a few minutes to settle it confirmed that bank 2 is still adding a bit more fuel but less so now, dropped 3% on average. 

I was also able to see the LTFT bank 2 dropped significantly on WOT, which wasn't as obvious before.  This type of drop in over fuelling suggests a vacuum leak, so I've ordered a new inlet/surge gasket.  Reading up online at Toyota v6 issues, a vac issue maybe caused by a duff PCV - which was recently replaced.

I have a decent trip at the weekend, so will see how the long term trims settle down after a few miles/hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Since removing the air/oil separator, new plugs and reset'g the fuel trims i'm now seeing just 2% over fueling vs 9% (on bank 2).

afa195b18f1157d38dc8edd4e3f31323.jpg

Which should help boost mpg.

I have just fitted a new MAF but don't anticipate much of an improvement over these figures.

Maybe it'll help balance the banks a bit...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had the steering reset at Lex-Tek (Sheffield). Since having 4 alignment done last year the steering has wriggled a bit but now it's much better/neutral.

He also checked over the poor passenger heat and all the servos seem okay. He thought it might be due to low AC but that's good and cold. So he's suggested a few more matrix flushes to shift any blockages. But if they don't work then it'll be a 2 day dash out job [emoji3525]

19 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Just had the steering reset at Lex-Tek (Sheffield). Since having 4 alignment done the steering has wriggled but it's now much better.

Could you elaborate on that? What(/why) did you have done?

The power steering is electric and after alignment or Battery disconnect you should get the sensors reset. I've had the 12v Battery disconnected several times without adversely affecting steering but since 4 wheel alignment the steering wheel had tugged a little on turns, across camber. All sorted now tho.

While over in Sheffield I dropped into Lexus for a hybrid health check, at 115k miles and 11 years old. She passed and the traction Battery now has another years warranty [emoji41]dc15a969a133d169bd2c90a67b0d8247.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

The power steering is electric and after alignment or battery disconnect you should get the sensors reset. I've had the 12v battery disconnected several times without adversely affecting steering but since 4 wheel alignment the steering wheel had tugged a little on turns, across camber. All sorted now tho.

Thanks! I'd read about needing to re-initialise the steering sensor, but not about anything beyond the process (from the user manual) that you can follow yourself. That's on my to-do list for next time it goes in...

Incidentally (having been flicking through your thread!) can anyone tell me whether Lexus Hedge End are on the discount list for gold members?

14 hours ago, Ziggy1024 said:

Incidentally (having been flicking through your thread!) can anyone tell me whether Lexus Hedge End are on the discount list for gold members?

No one can tell you, even Admin as looks like they don't know themselves! You better ask the garage yourself to get a proper answer, the reason I am saying this (being very ****** off) is that I bought last year Golden Membership as Lexus Glasgow was/is on the list, so when I received my discount card I went to Lexus (I needed a new wipers) and when I have shown them a card they were really surprised, they have never seen this card before and have no idea what that is! I created a thread about it, I contacted Admin and it's all went quite with no reply from Admin! 

The only benefit I have from this membership is the Halfords discount card!

Lee, sorry to hijack your thread.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

No one can tell you, even Admin as looks like they don't know themselves! You better ask the garage yourself to get a proper answer, the reason I am saying this (being very ****** off) is that I bought last year Golden Membership as Lexus Glasgow was/is on the list, so when I received my discount card I went to Lexus (I needed a new wipers) and when I have shown them a card they were really surprised, they have never seen this card before and have no idea what that is! I created a thread about it, I contacted Admin and it's all went quite with no reply from Admin! 

The only benefit I have from this membership is the Halfords discount card!

Lee, sorry to hijack your thread.

Thanks - I'll ask them!

Sorry to hear about your heating challenges Lee. I hope the flushing methods can resolve this without the need to dismantle the dash, that sounds no fun at all. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew, so do I.

Yesterday I flushed again and left the solution (Holts this time) soaking while working the fence. Flushing before and after pulled bits out of the matrix [emoji1] but there was no change to the passenger heat [emoji3525] As gunk is still coming out during the initial flushes then it may just need several attempts.

Maybe there are better cleaning solutions than Winns, Holts - has anyone tried vinegar/other? I don't want to eat thru the matrix tho!!!

I've had the car 2 years and passenger heat has been low and I have no idea how long it's been compromised. So the matrix may have been clogged for years. I just hope I can shift it...

Thanks Andrew, so do I.

Yesterday I flushed again and left the solution (Holts this time) soaking while working the fence. Flushing before and after pulled bits out of the matrix [emoji1] but there was no change to the passenger heat [emoji3525] As gunk is still coming out during the initial flushes then it may just need several attempts.

Maybe there are better cleaning solutions than Winns, Holts - has anyone tried vinegar/other? I don't want to eat thru the matrix tho!!!

I've had the car 2 years and passenger heat has been low and I have no idea how long it's been compromised. So the matrix may have been clogged for years. I just hope I can shift it...

Assuming what’s coming out is gungey gunk rather than limescale type deposits maybe something domestic like a dishwasher tablet dissolved in piping hot water flushed back and forth a few times?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My NS side light went out...I know, what a disaster and very un-Lexus like !

Turns out it isn't quite as straight forward to change as I had initially thought but once under the engine covers and with the washer neck out of the way it's a much easier task.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, these Denso hybrid wipers are so quiet vs the cheap brand my car came with. No more flip flop, flip flop...just quiet [emoji106]

I thoroughly cleaned the glass too, no doubt that helped.2af2f5632a82de2c0c67863f01683b28.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Cleaned my hybrid cooling fan at lunchime, it wasn't too bad.

IMG_20190605_131536.jpg

The cool air piping has pads along it's length, presumably to let a bit more cool air in right?

IMG_20190605_131222.jpg

Does anyone know if the cabin to boot pipe can be removed? I would like to clean the rear parcel mesh.

IMG_20190605_131248.jpg

Had a paintless dent repair (PDR) chap visit us at home today and he's has done a great job.

MrsF's VW had 3 dings (top of the front wing, side of a rear arch and flat of the tail gate) and he'd fixed one well before I managed to make him a cuppa!

My GS had a dink towards the front corner of the bonnet, which he eased back into shape.  It's alloy which took him a little bit longer.

PDR is a fascinating process which I could watch all day and his 20yrs+ experience showed.

For anyone in the midlands that's interested I can highly recommend Adey / Dents First, details at; http://www.dentsfirst.co.uk/  I heard of him via my local detail guru who makes use of his services.  I have no affiliation with either company and mention it purely to benefit anyone who's car has some daily driver dings.  I'll leave him to price up each job but I can say that he was very reasonable.

I apologise for the lack of pic's but these dents were really difficult to capture!

• Like 3

Always good to get some feedback and recommendations for good body repairers Lee,I’ve got a couple of dents on my RX that have been annoying me for ages and I really need to get round to getting them sorted.

Your story sounds familiar, I started looking into dent repairs over a year ago but other jobs/life took priority. No doubt there are similar stories with many of us.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the axle stands out this afternoon to investigate some rattles (that you hear with the window down/outside the vehicle).

I found one heat shield fixing in the middle of the exhaust had corroded through and was delighted when the nut came off the stud.  A large penny washer sorted that.

Both rear brake stone guards are corroded through so they were bodged until I get replacements (or chop them off).

Both rear brake sliders were re-lubed whilst I was there.

I also found a spanner nestled in the OSR low control arm!  It's quite rusty and been there since early December, when I replaced both rear toe arms :wacko:  I suppose that may have accounted for the odd rattle too :whistling:  I can't recall ever leaving tools lying around before, must be my age!

Was too hot to be lugging a 3 tonne trolley jack around.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Farqui said:

Got the axle stands out this afternoon to investigate some rattles (that you hear with the window down/outside the vehicle).

I found one heat shield fixing in the middle of the exhaust had corroded through and was delighted when the nut came off the stud.  A large penny washer sorted that.

Both rear brake stone guards are corroded through so they were bodged until I get replacements (or chop them off).

Both rear brake sliders were re-lubed whilst I was there.

I also found a spanner nestled in the OSR low control arm!  It's quite rusty and been there since early December, when I replaced both rear toe arms :wacko:  I suppose that may have accounted for the odd rattle too :whistling:  I can't recall ever leaving tools lying around before, must be my age!

Was too hot to be lugging a 3 tonne trolley jack around.

At least leaving a spanner somewhere is a far less concerning affair than having a nut and washer left over!🤪

• Like 1

Added CPL (polarising) filters to my dash cam's and it's really cut back the glare from the dash :yes:

Before

180831290_CPLbefore.thumb.jpg.8b99441d148347b22277ed41164488fd.jpg

This is the worse I've seen pre-CPL

1182240731_CPLbefore1.thumb.jpg.2cf2b918d77f562c0285b9e9278a6ffd.jpg

After

746679285_CPLafter2.thumb.jpg.1542e8d2a40fb76a3262f406da1dd912.jpg

I checked various vehicle angles we recorded yesterday and there's a marked improvement :yahoo:

I still need to check different sun heights to decide if it's cut out all the glare #stupiddash :wallbash: