Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450H my first Lexus

Farqui

39 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Richard @rich1068, from what I've seen a 4x4 and BIG tyres are more suitable to the roads around Sheffield 🤣

Actually credit where credit's due, Sheffield council have over the last 4 or 5 years resurfaced virtually every road and pavement in Sheffield. The difference is quite noticeable. On the one hand it does make some German thing on daft wheels a much more viable option but come at it the other way, a Lexus on smooooooth tarmac! Lovely stuff :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 3:12 PM, royoftherovers said:

Had mine for 6 years now and gone from 17,000 to 60,000 miles without a murmer.....not even a bulb, until yesterday, would you believe.

I am writing this overlooking the 17th (Road Hole) fairway on the Old Course, having enjoyed one of those fairy tale Scottish Breakfasts and wondering if when I go out to the GS later this morning,yesterday`s events will reoccur.

I had left the Wirral at 6am to try and miss the interminable traffic queues which build up daily on the M56 and the M6 and which only peter out as one passes the junction with the M55 going North. We (Mrs Roy and me/I ? in) were very successful and reached Teby Services in our scheduled time of 105 minutes.

One coffee, one tea and Shortbreads each,  meant we  were soon on our way to North Berwick  where we had lunch in the Clubhouse with friends. Thereafter something went wrong with the Lexus.No sound. Nothing on Audio (cd,usb,radio) and no sound from the other buttons which normally emit a short beep when pressed. I had previously plotted a route to St Andrews and I was driving West from North Berwick so as to pick up the Edinburgh Bypass and cross the Firth via the NEW Queensferry Bridge. I did not receive a notification to turn left onto the Bypass and did not see the sign due to the setting sun and therefore went straight into Edinburgh City Centre. What a nightmare that was ! No  oral Sat Nav, fading daylight light, traffic lights, indistinct road marking and more Bus Lanes than I`ve had hot dinners.

I arrived in St Andrews at nearly 7pm, rather tired, but with no bodily aches or pains due to the GS sublime seating ! A large glass of Malbec put me right and I slept like a log. I will check out the car later this morning............to be continued....

The next morning (Wednesday) I went to the car and............all was well again. I didn`t need Sat Nav for my drives to St Andrews, Leuchars, Cupar or Falkland, so I switched off the system.

We checked out on Thursday morning and headed for Westerhope in Newcastle. Sat Nav was fine initially, then it failed sound -wise again. I made it to my location by following the route shown and much good advice from Mrs Roy who watched the map whilst I watched the road.

Never used the system on  Friday for driving around Newcastle.We were fortunate in that HMS Northumberland was docked in the Tyne and I enjoyed the biggest scone I have ever had in The Lock a smart cafe on the Quayside. Blue uncloudy skies and 6 degrees made for an enjoyable stroll along the Tyne banks.

We had to leave this morning as the news was full of an impending storm (Ciara) which  would probably affect our journey back to the Wirral had we stayed until tomorrow. I took a wrong turn and went through the Tyne Tunnel, so retraced my steps, tried the Sat Nav again and it was perfect.Brought me all of the home via Tebay Services, so I will pop in and speak with Tom at Lexus Chester on Monday.I am formulating a possible explanation which surrounds the two electronic keys I had on my person or one in the boot. I will report back later in the week.

Needless to say, the GS itself performed faultlessly, the drive was serene and extremely satisfying without aches or pains. 

• Like 2

The old gals annual Hybrid health check was completed this morning at Lexus Sheffield, ODO was 124,686 miles and we got a...PASS 😃

RX-400h-intro-and-HHC-03-696x416.jpg

Whilst waiting I came across this neat explanation of what's involved that I hadn't seen before; https://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-hybrid-health-check-2/  

Maybe it'll help others too as it mentions the 15 year hybrid warranty which is a question that occasionally pops up on the forum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Farqui said:

The old gals annual Hybrid health check was completed this morning at Lexus Sheffield, ODO was 124,686 miles and we got a...PASS 😃

You should have popped in for a cuppa!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The offside oil control valve filter was nice and clean, good news.

I couldn't get to the nearside filter, does anyone have any tips?

Also fitted two new calipers to the wife's V-dub...the offside was dragging during the MOT and clean/lubing the sliders didn't help. 27cc4c12d5afc2a4ec0012908193ea1b.jpg

Ganesh @LexIS200Sport, the OCV filters sit within oil unions at the front of each head.

These filters clean the oil going to the OCV's that control each cam timing.

The 4 OCV's sit on top of the cam covers.

I picked up a super long wrench so should now be able to release the NS filter.

I aim to get all OVC's out/tested this afternoon so will get some pic's online later.

• Thanks 1

Ganesh, the OCV filters will only need replacing of they cannot be cleaned and are clogged. Regular oil changes should ensure that they remain clean.

• Thanks 1

The passenger side filter, is clean too

6e25293469baac7cbcd930ffbe5c7b6e.jpg&key=ac3c12d7c1b080d8de4aaf2e586a568a878876d920186e4e27ba273f7e2cc639

Hare are all the OCV's, 3 of them are the same part number with the NS exhaust being different (see the plug location)

dea0a1a7ceaf39cb19fc87a6ae7542f8.jpg&key=7cb748048e21e9518de61586d667239b467833cf53f3073ceeaf759b546ffb7d

Here are the key tools, the long 17mm wrench for the OCV filters and the long allen for the air resonator are essential

a3549d0276d5fef99e48b54f9fcce5ce.jpg&key=5edf7f10a212dbb97e6fd2b2acf7d728cec2273f0810b8eb43bff3a29298db28

• Thanks 1

I covered a few miles yesterday and the long term fuel trim is coming back to baseline, so the new resonance chamber gasket has definitely helped correct the air/fuel mixture.

Hardly surprising really if it was the original 12 year old gasket.

I wish I had a new throttle body gasket as that looks tired, will add one to my next RockAuto order.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I replaced a servo motor and took out the servo mounting plate but I'm having such a hard time where the levers go on the mounting plate can you help me out dealer quoted me 1500 to put them right and gears might be alittle off as well 

Hi Ruben, crumbs that's a hefty price...I suspect the dealer will be removing the dashboard to acquire proper access.

Those servo's and connecting rods are a royal pain, especially if you split the passenger (UK) side.

I can't recall the full details of my alignment but I do remember that I had to work each rod on the heater box to understand it's use and then relate that to the servo operations from the dash controls.  I had the server panel removed at this point so it operated freely.  You should then gradually be able to orientate the parts so they mesh together and work throughout their range without binding or interfering with other controls. 

I'm not familiar with the IS350 servo's layout, is it the same as the GS?

How far have you got thus far?

What was you underlying issue, a worn servo?  Noisy dash on initial start-up?

Cheers, Lee

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 1:16 AM, Farqui said:

Hi Ruben, crumbs that's a hefty price...I suspect the dealer will be removing the dashboard to acquire proper access.

Those servo's and connecting rods are a royal pain, especially if you split the passenger (UK) side.

I can't recall the full details of my alignment but I do remember that I had to work each rod on the heater box to understand it's use and then relate that to the servo operations from the dash controls.  I had the server panel removed at this point so it operated freely.  You should then gradually be able to orientate the parts so they mesh together and work throughout their range without binding or interfering with other controls. 

I'm not familiar with the IS350 servo's layout, is it the same as the GS?

How far have you got thus far?

What was you underlying issue, a worn servo?  Noisy dash on initial start-up?

Cheers, Lee

Hello sorry for late reply but it looks exactly the same and this is us spec drivers side can I ask if the pictures you put were the finished layout to get the servo plate and rods to match? And do you have to wait for it to go to standby mode then try to connect the rods or is the standby mode after ignition was off like a testing mode to see if it wouldn't bind? Any info will help as I'm trying to do this without getting ripped off at the dealer thank you 

Honestly Ruben, I can't recall what cooling options were selected within the pictures.

With the panel off I suggest that you can cycle the vehicle on/off a couple of times and also run each control through it's range of motion.  After a few minutes, you should then have a good idea of what arm controls what and which servo serves each action.  Aligning everything back up is tricky, so good luck.

20 hours ago, Farqui said:

Honestly Ruben, I can't recall what cooling options were selected within the pictures.

With the panel off I suggest that you can cycle the vehicle on/off a couple of times and also run each control through it's range of motion.  After a few minutes, you should then have a good idea of what arm controls what and which servo serves each action.  Aligning everything back up is tricky, so good luck.

Ok yeah I was messing around with it and I know what you mean now and yeah I was getting it the only one I couldn't get to connect to the servo plate was the one that controls with windshield vents open and close but I'm close everything else start moving and closing like normal till I start the car again then it starts grinding idk probably messed up somewhere it's so frustrating 😞 but was thinking when you connect it in the right position did you have to do a servo motor intialization through techstream I read somewhere if you replace the servo motors they have to do a  relearn through that thanks In Advanced 

• 2 months later...

Got the cold heater output on the passenger side fixed, so the wife will be happy this winter. Was a blocked matrix and a dash out job to replace it!

On the drive home we find the NS tail pipe is jiggling around, a quick/easy fix as i had spare hangers.

IMG_20200919_181823_683.jpg