Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450H my first Lexus

Farqui

After a few miles my ears have now stopped hearing the tyre drone and I'm firmly enjoying the silent waft again :thumbs_up: 

Isn't it weird how you gradually get familiar with something and then when it suddenly stops, it sounds/feels so odd.

Smooth, round tyres for the win! :yahoo:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Another year and another MOT passed :yahoo:

It's not all plain sailing though as the weak heating on the passenger side is worse than ever this winter.

At the wkend I took another look at all the servo's and they appear to be working. 

I had also hoped to confirm that the heater matrix is hot on the passenger side but it's well buried 😞  Both heater pipes are good and hot.

The A/C has not been regas'd in the 3 years I've owned the vehicle and I've read that low pressure can cause partial cabin heating issues, across numerous marks altho I don't quite understand why. The A/C does get cold.

To get an easier possible cause ticketed off, I'm booked in with Lex-Tek later in the week for an A/C once over 🤞

Before then I hope to get an OBD reader hooked up and confirm the actual engine temp, the dash gauge reads normal.

Has anyone experienced (and fixed) lack of passenger heat from any/all of their vents regardless of A/C, mode settings ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Another year and another MOT passed :yahoo:

It's not all plain sailing though as the weak heating on the passenger side is worse than ever this winter.

At the wkend I took another look at all the servo's and they appear to be working. 

I had also hoped to confirm that the heater matrix is hot on the passenger side but it's well buried 😞  Both heater pipes are good and hot.

The A/C has not been regas'd in the 3 years I've owned the vehicle and I've read that low pressure can cause partial cabin heating issues, across numerous marks altho I don't quite understand why. The A/C does get cold.

To get an easier possible cause ticketed off, I'm booked in with Lex-Tek later in the week for an A/C once over 🤞

Before then I hope to get an OBD reader hooked up and confirm the actual engine temp, the dash gauge reads normal.

Has anyone experienced (and fixed) lack of passenger heat from any/all of their vents regardless of A/C, mode settings ?

Did you not take out the Extended Warranty Lee ?

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

I most certainly would NOT like to meet you down a dark alley old pal !!

You'll not find me down any dark alleys!

I'll be in my garage scratchin' my head! 🤣

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

An AC regas has boosted the heat on the passenger side significantly although it is still lower than the drivers output. 

I don't understand how a regas improved cabin heat out but as it's improved, I'll take it.

Vent output temps steadily reduce from the drivers to passenger side and the passenger foot well gets 0 heat...so mrsF has blue toes!.

I've since flushed the heater matrix a more couple times and passenger temps are improving a little with the exception of the passenger foot well.

As temps continue to improve I'll continue flushing and back flushing.  I really don't fancy taking the dash out especially as now it's cold/wet outside now.

Particles are still coming out of the matrix, they now look black.  I'm now using Forte coolant flush which needs much more flushing vs other products, post soaking the first few flushes are foamy - presumably due to it's degreaser content.

• 1 month later...

Update: I've just completed the annual service (oil/filters) along with a diff oil change. 

The diff filler and drain plugs are awkward to access around a exhaust hanger, if only they were on the other side!

Interestingly on the last stealer invoice they use heavier diff oil 85W-90 vs the correct weight 75W-85 🤔  Will see how it goes on a good run in a few days time.

I'll take another look at the instructions for a transmission oil change, I vaguely recall that it's not so straight forward so may ask Lex-Tek to do this.

Passenger heat is still poor 🙁 and to keep mrs F happy I've ducted the drivers footwell output over there, it ain't pretty but it works.  I did try and duct smaller pipes inside and over the center console but they didn't work well at all.

Finally I gave my headlights quick sand/buff which has made a big difference, using a Holts kit.

IMG_20200125_134853.thumb.jpg.2514a69c02164829c5cec3ec6e5addd6.jpg

IMG_20200125_160703.thumb.jpg.9137b2c7b478d5845b94b977c6c37a84.jpg

I didn't sealer/clear them as it's a bit chilly damp, so I'll do this when the weather improves - along with another quick buff.

• Like 1

I am rely missing my car. It may be 14 years older than the Merc C class loan car, but in noise level, and comfort the Lexus is way ahead of the Merc.
Ok being fare the Merc is an oil burner, but I would have thought that they would have found how to soundproof the cabin from the engine noise by now. It reminded me of some of my company cars I had 20 or more years ago when after getting out of the car after a long run I could still hear that buzzing drone.

I cannot wait to get back to near silent comfort, and performance of the GS hybrid. Unfortunately it could be some time as the rear door is on back order from Japan. The good side is that my car is tucked up in a workshop while I am using a loan car in the bad weather, and salty roads.

I need to do my headlamps as they look to be about the same condition as yours. I do not think the clouding is affecting the light output as it only seems "like yours" to be on the top surface. Lee how easy was the kit to use? and would you recommend it?

• Like 1

Hi John @Britprius, I was sorry to read about your damage but at least you have a decent loaner albeit not up to GS spec.

The Holts kit is okay and comes with all that you need.

I used the drill to sand one headlight and elbow grease on the other and I preferred manual as it gives you more control.  It takes a few minutes sanding yourself but I found the drill was too aggressive and then needed more sanding/polishing to correct.

To save yourself more cleanup work ensure that you cover everything (engine bay/wings) as the polish goes absolutely everywhere! 

I haven't tried the sealer yet so can't report on that or how long it lasts.

You're right that the discolouring is mainly on top of the lights but when I stood back as compared one polished vs untouched I was surprised how much better the lower/beam area looked.

Let us know how you get on as it's an easy job to tackle from a stool 😉

Thanks Lee.
I'll have a go "when I get my car back". There is a couple of other jobs I was intending to get round to, but I guess they will wait for the better weather.
One of the jobs is auto folding mirrors. I have the eBay module for this but looking at the circuit diagram I do not think it will work both sides together as the mirror motors are not connected in parallel. However if I can find out how to remove the drop down button box to the right of the steering I think I can make it all work with a simple additional relay. I'll keep you informed.

John. 

On 7/29/2017 at 3:12 PM, Neil E said:

Any plans to change the bodywork?

Image result for Lexus GS430 custom wheels

I've seen a few with kits but how good does this look? 

Great body kit . Seem to come up against a wall with the 2009 model when looking for a lip spoiler anyone got any leads ? much appreciated.

54 minutes ago, theDix said:

Great body kit . Seem to come up against a wall with the 2009 model when looking for a lip spoiler anyone got any leads ? much appreciated.

Not bad, but something I will not do. I prefer to keep my car looking as original as possible.
This is probably because of my age, and see no sense in raising my insurance for the sake of aesthetic boy racer modifications. I do not mind adding face lift parts that will not attract attention, but rather functionality. I will leave body kits to those that have the spare money, and an eye for such things.

John.

• Like 2

Just back from a long weekend to Dumfries & Galloway and our GS clocked up 685 miles / 1102 km's on varied roads without any bother.

We visited pals near Glasgow yesterday and covered 342 miles / 550 km's during the course of the day and neither of us felt any adverse affects.

A good job too, as on our return I had to faff with mrs F's V-dub that had a flat tyre 😒 

How many miles have you clocked in day ?

I'll start with my longest daily drive that thankfully was shared with a pal over to Morzine at around 700 miles / 1,120 km's.  Oh my, those French roads were dull.

I think our most memorable trip that I tiller'd solo was an over night'r in a hire car from Inverness dodging a snow storm that had closed the airport, covering some 510 miles / 820 km's on some really nasty/slippery roads.

Longest drives in one day? Nothing record breaking but I've done Sheffield to Falmouth a few times (about 350 miles?) and Sheffield to Reims, Reims to somewhere near Cannes in two days.That worked out to be near as damn it 1000 miles door to door.

Furthest in a Lexus was probably just down to Devon in the IS. Maybe another road trip in the GS is in order.

• Like 1

@Farqui now 3 years of ownership and i can see the 450 is certainly serving you well .. i did consider one before opting for the 300 as things like limited boot space and hybrid system kinda put me off but i might consider it again. do you find the boot space a hindrance or you have learnt to live with it overtime do you miss a big boot? and how abut the hybrid system in general? any issues since you've had it? PM me if and when you ready to sell as i might be interested. ☺️

• Like 1

Hi Jeff @noby76, yes fingers crossed it's been a decent steed and although it hasn't been without issue it's been reasonable considering it's age.  The cabin heater (matrix and/or servos) is my next job but I'm waiting for the weather to improve before tackling that (hopefully fewer clips will break!).

The small boot can be a pain sometimes but is absolutely fine for us 95% of the time.  On vacation trips with 4 folks we've used the back box which provides plenty of additional luggage space.  The boot rack makes the GS REALLY long which can be entertaining 😄  I also have a roof rack but rarely use it.  Our second car is a Golf but that only gets used at the wkend and ONLY IF we need the bigger boot space e.g. runs to the tip or Ikea !

I really like the Hybrid system and after a few years ownership I consider that both power units work well together.  The assistance from each units means that one isn't particularly stressed, so both seem to get light duty use.  The 3 modes provide a wide range of performance options (normal, sport, power) depending on your journey or mood !  Battery powered propulsion is comically short but is a great challenge to engage/maintain.  It's ideally suited to coasting through villages (esp. in Belgium) and in heavy traffic that slows but keeps moving.  As soon as you stop then you really have to milk the Battery power and be patient...but where's the fun in that.

The seamless surge of power from the clever CVT is great and makes a long journey effortless.  Folks moaning about the elastic band effect should take the time to play around with the modes.

The dealers 'suggestions' to change dampers is comical as mine are still running fine 3 years later!  It must be a great money earner for them, along with sticky calipers, warped rotors, etc.

Selling up, me?  Not atm thanks although I'd bag myself a GS-F pretty darn quick if I had the means.  I appreciate the offer tho so here some 😍 back at ya.

How long have you had your GS300?  How's that been for you with your cavernous boot?

Cheers, Lee

• Like 2

I've only had mine a year and compared to the previous MK2 GS430, the boot is slightly smaller. the MK2 GS could swallow more grocery shopping or Ikea products than the MK3.. even the Accord i had seemed to have a larger boot than the MK3 GS for some strange reason.
besides changing tyres and usual oil and filter service, ive had to replace the HID bulb, one 02 sensor, brake fluid, gearbox fluid and diff fluid. but these was more as a maintenance than anything.. had TPMS sensors replaced 3 weeks ago but ive been away from home sine then and back on Friday so will give it a drive round the block to see if the sensors are compatible as another member mention ours is a 433mhz not 315mhz sensor so will see how that goes. but all in all its been ok. touching wood..☺️

• Like 1

Had mine for 6 years now and gone from 17,000 to 60,000 miles without a murmer.....not even a bulb, until yesterday, would you believe.

I am writing this overlooking the 17th (Road Hole) fairway on the Old Course, having enjoyed one of those fairy tale Scottish Breakfasts and wondering if when I go out to the GS later this morning,yesterday`s events will reoccur.

I had left the Wirral at 6am to try and miss the interminable traffic queues which build up daily on the M56 and the M6 and which only peter out as one passes the junction with the M55 going North. We (Mrs Roy and me/I ? in) were very successful and reached Teby Services in our scheduled time of 105 minutes.

One coffee, one tea and Shortbreads each,  meant we  were soon on our way to North Berwick  where we had lunch in the Clubhouse with friends. Thereafter something went wrong with the Lexus.No sound. Nothing on Audio (cd,usb,radio) and no sound from the other buttons which normally emit a short beep when pressed. I had previously plotted a route to St Andrews and I was driving West from North Berwick so as to pick up the Edinburgh Bypass and cross the Firth via the NEW Queensferry Bridge. I did not receive a notification to turn left onto the Bypass and did not see the sign due to the setting sun and therefore went straight into Edinburgh City Centre. What a nightmare that was ! No  oral Sat Nav, fading daylight light, traffic lights, indistinct road marking and more Bus Lanes than I`ve had hot dinners.

I arrived in St Andrews at nearly 7pm, rather tired, but with no bodily aches or pains due to the GS sublime seating ! A large glass of Malbec put me right and I slept like a log. I will check out the car later this morning............to be continued....

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 3:12 PM, royoftherovers said:

I arrived in St Andrews at nearly 7pm, rather tired, but with no bodily aches or pains due to the GS sublime seating ! A large glass of Malbec put me right and I slept like a log. I will check out the car later this morning............to be continued....

yeh most reviewers bang on about a 5 series BMW and how it can out handle the class around corners etc.. but 95% of the time no one is driving the 5 series on the limit to exploit those benefits Lexus got the GS right in terms of being a very comfortable cruiser, quiet sublime but yet capable of easily hitting 150 mph with no sweat if permitted of course.. i do an hour to 2 hours drive easily with no stress in this car..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noby76 said:

yeh most reviewers bang on about a 5 series BMW and how it can out handle the class around corners etc.. but 95% of the time no one is driving the 5 series on the limit

Precisely why I don't really pay much attention to reviews any more. I trundle round Sheffield not the Nurburgring. Low profile 19" wheels and race tuned suspension? There's a place for that and the morning commute isn't it.

• Like 1

Richard @rich1068, from what I've seen a 4x4 and BIG tyres are more suitable to the roads around Sheffield 🤣

...and many other places to be honest.  Although I did find some nice smooth tarmac oop north across the border recently,

I tend to notice smooth roads more these days as they're so unusual.

Our village was very bad but they resurfaced the lot last year and it's fabulous now.  Until they dig it up again!

18 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Richard @rich1068, from what I've seen a 4x4 and BIG tyres are more suitable to the roads around Sheffield 🤣

...and many other places to be honest.  Although I did find some nice smooth tarmac oop north across the border recently,

I tend to notice smooth roads more these days as they're so unusual.

Our village was very bad but they resurfaced the lot last year and it's fabulous now.  Until they dig it up again!

Lee funny you should mention going over the border. I live within two miles of the Welsh border.  I know if you blindfolded me and drove me around the local area I could tell you when we entered Wales as the roads there are so much better than in Herefordshire.

John.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links