Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another stereo related problem

Hey everyone! So I'm having some problems with my stereo system. It's an OEM head unit and I run a cassette adapter to my phone. It's very hard to analyse this problem because I don't know when it happens or what causes it but the sound cuts out sporadically with irregular reoccurance. At first I thought it was the cassette adapter that jammed up and made it rewind but it still cuts out on radio, so that's ruled out. Next I pulled the head unit out to find a birds nest of splice mess. The car had a hands free phone system installed at some point, so I cut all that crud out and matched up the wires again. Problem persists. I read somewhere that the "AF" mode could be the culprit so I experimented with that, and at first it seemed to have solved it but then it came back again. Like I said, the problem occurs sporadically and irregularly. Sometimes I can listen to a whole song fine, and other times it cuts out once every second.

A precursor to this problem was that the speakers would pop and crackle upon initial start up, and the problem would later settle down until the car was left over night. That problem seems to have gone away though. The car is an IS200

Sounds familiar to anyone? Is the head unit toast? Help is much appreciated!

Can't really help with your specific issue but why not install something like IO Play 2, works fantastically well on these cars and you do away with adapters etc. Mine connects to my phone automatically when she fires up and streaming from my phone is perfect....Just something to consider. I think they stopped making the IO Play 2 but you can find them on eBay fairly cheap nowadays. 

7 hours ago, wakhtar said:

Can't really help with your specific issue but why not install something like IO Play 2, works fantastically well on these cars and you do away with adapters etc. Mine connects to my phone automatically when she fires up and streaming from my phone is perfect....Just something to consider. I think they stopped making the IO Play 2 but you can find them on ebay fairly cheap nowadays. 

I don't think such a gadget would solve any of my problems and gadgets isn't for me unfortunately. I think it makes the interior look bloated. I rather just spend the money on a new stereo then. Thanks for your input though! I think I've narrowed down the problem to heat. On cold days it works fine for a while and it starts getting choppy after a certain time. On hot days it's choppy of the get go. Probably the stereo ready for the bin?