Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just in need of a few experienced views folks..

Hopefully going to see a 2006 RX350 SE this week all being well.  I can't seem to find anything concrete on the servicing schedule of the 2GR-FE engine so was looking some info.  Also can't seem to find an answer on timing chain intervals.  I know to avoid the air suspension where possible (think the SE is safe from that possibly) but are there are other areas of concern with this model?

Absolutely loving the gen1 so looking forward to seeing around a gen2 rex :smile:

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Jay 

I bought a 2005 350 in 2013.  There were a few problems with the parking sensors (after market type) and the sunroof didn't work.  The parking sensors were sorted out by the dealer quite quickly but the sunroof turned out to be a major problem as a small plastic part had broken and jammed the roof, burnt out the motor and broke one of the tapes that moved the roof.  All sorted out under the warranty but the roof took about 20 hours labour as most of the inside of the car had to be removed to remove the roof assembly.  Later I had a spark plug coil fail but also done under warranty.  Since then trouble free and a lovely car to drive.  I replaced the self levelling sensor this year (about £85).  After 10 years it's sensible to get the timing belt and water pump replaced if not done recently. 

• Like 1

Thanks Michael, sounds like a safe bet then.

I went and saw it this evening and  was quite impressed.  Felt a bit bigger than the gen1 I'm driving but the extra power was very noticeable.  Ended up viewing it in a thunder storm which could be an omen but sure, nothing ventured eh?

I like it a lot.  When I bought it the 450 would have cost about £6-8000 more.  You get a lot of petrol for that and I like the AWD and the auto gearbox.  Haven't driven a 450 but I am not sure if I would like the CVT gearbox and alternating 2 and 4 WD.

I was under the impression that timing chains do not need regular servicing other than perhaps the guides they run on. The PSD gearbox in the 400h does take some time to get used to - mainly that there is no correlation between engine note and road speed but that quickly becomes a non issue. As for the difference between 2 and 4 wd i can't say it's ever bothered me other than when I had sub par tyres and the torque steer was a bit savage, now it's got decent boots it's hardly noticeable even under hard acceleration off a roundabout.

Personally I'd try and find a good 400h as the tax and MPG are far better and unless you want to do heavy towing or a lot of off roading it will be better all round.

This is interesting Julian.  I understood that the RX has a timing belt not a chain.  If it's a chain I think you are right as I didn't change it on my old Saab 900 and won't on my Toyota Vitz.

Can anyone confirm which it is on the Rx350/450?

Well, it's now sitting on the driveway!

Only real worry I can see is a trace of water on the PSR C-pillar trim accompanied by a damp smell in the boot.  I'm guessing it's due to the roof rail being loose right above it so any links for how to get the trim off without breaking it so as I can investigate please?

The 3.5 is a lovely driving thing by the way..

• Like 1

Great news, glad you are pleased with it.

My guess is the boot problem will be due to problems with the drain tubes form the sunroof which run down the rear quarter columns and through the boot each side at the back behind the trim.  You need to remove the trays under the floor and the two side panels each side which isn't too hard to do.  Mine was kinked on one side and got blocked with crud.  I shortened the plastic tubes and inserted a short length of 15mm copper pipe into the plastic tube (you need to dip it into hot water to soften it a bit and then it easily slides over the copper tube)and then pushed this into the rubber tube lower down which drains to the road.  Mine was leaking at the joint of the plastic and rubber.  Its fine now and shouldn't be a problem again.

• Like 2

Jay, sorry to rain on your parade but water ingress can be a serious problem with these cars. Search 'water ingress' on here and be pro active to completely solve the problem soonest. At least one owner here had to renew all carpets.

Possible suspects include sunroof drains, roof rail attachments, rear tail lights and in my case an ill fitting vent for equalising pressure in the cabin when doors are closed.

Have had my '06 RX350SE for four years now from 30K to 55K and would not have anything else.

• Like 1

Thank for the replies chaps, I'll be digging into it next week.  Any water seems to be limited to the PSR D-pillar area right below the roof rail mounting point.  As it's loose I'm going to sort it first and go from there.  Whilst the trims are off I can do a little modding of the rear drain like Michael suggests.

As I'm going to tackle this one myself has anyone seen an online workshop manual for the 2006 model?  It would probably help me when it comes round to doing all the filters and fluids I'm about to order.

Cheers,

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so it seems water appears to be a running theme.. it even ****** down on me while I was giving it a service last week!

Right, reference the rear water leak, it would seem Michael is correct.  I replaced the rail seal and it's made no difference.  The rear passenger side drain tube must be disconnected/broken above the headcloth somewhere and giving me a nice trickle of water down into the boot.  No big deal but given we are heading into the winter soon I'm all for getting it sorted.

Anyone got a link to some directions on removing the headliner perchance?  May as well give it a go if this sunroof reset doesn't sort it.

Cheers in advance for any guidance, 

Jay

This is very bad news  .Removing the headlining is a major job.  You have to start at the bottom and remove lining from the pillars etc before you can take out the headlining.  The garage who fixed my sunroof problem took 23 hours of labour to do it. They did have to remove the whole sunroof mechanism so exposing just the drain might not take quite as long.   The attached pics show the car once it had been stripped out.  Bon courage!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Some have had the devil of a time correctly diagnosing water ingress in the RX.

May I suggest some water is directly fed into that sunroof drain to establish that is the source before attacking the roof trim.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Thanks chaps, still can't seem to find any manuals online that cover the removal procedure but I'm mentally prepared for what's in those pictures Michael.  I rebuilt the engine on my track car last year so it can't be too much more stressful than that.  Or can it?

Yes Graham, I've just reset the sunroof in case it's that simple (doubtful) and will be messing about with strimmer wire to clear the drains before removing anything. 

Private sale Piers, all on my own as per usual!

Just had a thought - the rear sunroof drains just empty into the sill don't they?  If so I could just redirect the drip with some bodgery..

The rear drains run down inside the pillars and exit through the sides at the back each side of the removable tray at the back of the boot they drain onto the outside just below this. You might be able to access them by just removing the rear quarter lining if you think the leak is at the joint between the tube and the sunroof tray 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katabrontes said:

The rear drains run down inside the pillars and exit through the sides at the back each side of the removable tray at the back of the boot they drain onto the outside just below this. You might be able to access them by just removing the rear quarter lining if you think the leak is at the joint between the tube and the sunroof tray 

Yes, maybe start from the bottom up.

have you tried blowing through the holes, in case they are blocked?

dh.jpg

• Like 2

Ha, water leaks, man...

I was one of the guys who had to renew my carpets, read essentially strip car back to a working chassis! I left a big thread with pics around so worth a look.

Mine was a multitude of things

-Front windscreen seal (not your issue)

-Hole under the tail light unit (bullet hole?) You can safely assume you won't have this.

-Tail light gasket(s)

-Body sealant drying around rear roof and top of boot shell area, under the last strip of the rubber roof rack guttering cover strip. The sealant shrinks, dries and exposes the seal lines of the double skinned body letting water in VERY inconspicuously. I fixed this with Granville clear sealant but it's a pain getting sealant adhere to the metalllic gloss paint of the surrounding area so has been fine since for a few months but has reared it's head again slightly, when I can be bothered I will fix with proper body sealant but will likely require picking some sealant out first (rather than sand and re-spray) At least 1 other owner had this issue on his, mines a 300 his was a 400h.

In short - ball ache.

Still love the car though... just. 

• Like 2