Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I love the idea that when I lift my foot off the accelerator the car just cruises on and doesn't suffer the usual engine braking effect, great for the economy.

How exactly does this feature work ?

I can't imagine the valves being lifted to avoid compression, but something along those lines must happen.

• Like 1

I think to go into the ins and outs of the function of the torque converter within the auto box would take ages and confuse most (including me) I love an auto box.  I've been driving a manual Sprinter van for the past few days, can't wait to give my left foot a rest in the Ls tomorrow!

It is great the LS seems to have a lack of engine braking, in some ways it means you have be darned careful when folloing other cars who are slowing down with no brake lights showing as they engine break.

I think it is not just the auto-box because other autos I have driven you get a level of engine braking, so I assume the LS has something smarter than your average electronics, and a car with low drag co-efficient (0.27 I hear on the 400Mk4) all helping it to make sure car uses the least fuel possible.

• Like 1

I do engage lower gears on my MkIV around London as a precautionary measure as the old girl does just love to coast on after a prod of the right foot...

I love the lack of engine braking / low rolling resistance, makes the car feel like it's driving itself.

If engine braking is needed, in slippery conditions or a steep hilll whereby you'd want to assist the brakes, the manual feature/top gear restriction, is very easy to use.

Love the forum but am blissfully ignorant of any new technology in cars since soft close doors. Forgive my ignorance but is the "coast" somehow a system whereby like Cruise Control when  you press the accelerator the car does not drop revs and slow if you lift your foot, but only if you brake?  I do find with Cruise that it annoys me when "on" that the Car will go up hills fine but I don't particularly want the car to slow when going down hills, which of course happens to maintain the same speed. I always feel this must mess with fuel efficency.

Thought I'd look online rather than be embarrased in asking this question but discovered the following thread which has left me speechless. That you can control a Car in front!  https://www.drivespark.com/four-wheelers/2017/lexus-introduce-lane-valet-feature-on-all-models-021409.html 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Thought I'd look online rather than be embarrased in asking this question but discovered the following thread which has left me speechless. That you can control a Car in front!  https://www.drivespark.com/four-wheelers/2017/lexus-introduce-lane-valet-feature-on-all-models-021409.html 

Think I would still prefer to flash my main beam, and get road rage when the slower car ignores my flashing like a demented demon.

on a more serious note, I presume that both cars would have to have the feature switched on as it refers to a dash button. If not switched on in the slower car you would still have to resort to flashing like a demon.

3 minutes ago, JIM PIKE said:

on a more serious note, I presume that both cars would have to have the feature switched on as it refers to a dash button. If not switched on in the slower car you would still have to resort to flashing like a demon.

On an even more serious note, I would hope that such a thing would be permanently on by default - if only it wasn't due for release on April 1st :biggrin:

• Like 1

Wonderful idea even for April fool, but if ever it comes to fruition, it needs to have different modes such as

In a bl**ding hurry white van man mode 1

Just chilling to Bob Marley mode 2

Annoyed at BBC stars pay mode 3

Other options no doubt could be programmed in later

• Like 2

I think the gestures are unlikely to be a pleasant wave!

OK Idiots do hog the wrong lane sometimes.  In France having accidently taken the Transponder of a hire Car for a swim with dire consequences, we endured a long late night trip from Marseilles to Frejus on the A8 at electryfying speeds with a Taxi Driver who looked like ex Pres Chirac and who swung the Car into the slow Lane every time after overtaking. So, from third to first Lane. In France being the in wrong lane will get you a fine if the Gendarmerie spot you.  It was a nerve wracking experience at 130kph but technically he was driving to rules. Pushing people over by button press would likely become a  habit and turn the Brits into Italians, especially BMW drivers, I imagine.