Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam Installation Advice

As demonstrated the number plate comes into focus as you approach the car diminishing the glare of the headlamps.

Therefore I conclude the Cam will record all the incident regardless of consequence.

Tel

Found the fuse box today (thank you jbi507) fitted the piggy back fuse and earth all good, rooted the wire, very easy up the collum then under the head lining to were I was going fix the camera which was to the left side of the mirror, all done very neat no wires on show, all worked to ignition.

only problem it looked like a bag of crap, with the screen angle the camera hangs down right in the passenger line of sight and below the mirror so in total view when driving, so i striped it out and booked a web cam from Lexus, there model looks a far better, neater option than an ugly bolt on.

10 hours ago, Doby said:

i striped it out and booked a web cam from Lexus, there model looks a far better, neater option than an ugly bolt on.

Why are you going to pay well over the odds for a "Lexus" camera? And why did you strip it all out? You've done all the hard work and I've never yet seen a dashcam that doesn't connect by MiniUSB - you could have left the wiring in situ and just changed the cam.

Have a look at this review - a dual system, front and back, for about £110 or you can get just the front for about £80. Irrespective of the cost though, this guy likes it so much that he's now got one permanently in his own car, which is good enough for me because this guy reviews dozens and dozens of things.

• Like 1

@Herbie, thanks for the video as I hadn't seen/heard of Aukey before and they maybe an option for the wife's wagon (she'd like dashcam's but doesn't want to shell out too much).  They're neat and slimline too unlike many of the other cheaper options I've seen :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

Why are you going to pay well over the odds for a "Lexus" camera? And why did you strip it all out? You've done all the hard work and I've never yet seen a dashcam that doesn't connect by MiniUSB - you could have left the wiring in situ and just changed the cam.

Have a look at this review - a dual system, front and back, for about £110 or you can get just the front for about £80. Irrespective of the cost though, this guy likes it so much that he's now got one permanently in his own car, which is good enough for me because this guy reviews dozens and dozens of things.

I like the the next base unit has gps etc all in and very tidy

• 1 month later...

Installed a dash cam this weekend, DDpai mini 3. Easy enough, tucked wires into headlining, down and across the side pillar, under the door seal at the side of the glovebox and into the fusebox.  Piggy back fuse on the Accessory fuse which powers with ignition, which I prefer.  It can be on a permanent supply and it has a setting to power down after a set period.    I chose this camera as I wanted something discrete and I can't see the point of a screen. As it's high on the screen the blue 'sun strip' does colour the top of the videos but i think that's probably a good thing as it also reduces glare.The videos it takes are really nice - plenty on you tube if your interested.

Photo of installation attached.

20190219_154107.jpg

20190219_154014.jpg

20190219_153721.jpg

I just bought the genuine Lexus next base dash cam from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk. This is £100 cheaper than having it fitted at my local dealer and it only took me about 20 minutes to fit it.

This kit comes with everything you need and is excellent quality compared to some of the rubbish dashcams I have had before. The guy at LPD is really helpful, I think his name is Dan. He even gave me free shipping because the order was over £100. Check it out!

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ls/lexus-nextbase-1080p-integrated-dash-cam/

Yes it was a mini rather than Micro fuse piggy back unit and the fuse box lid doesn't fit.

I toyed with the idea of leaving it off but settled on cutting a hole in it to allow the fuse unit to fit.

33 minutes ago, Nimbra said:

Yes it was a mini rather than Micro fuse piggy back unit and the fuse box lid doesn't fit.

I toyed with the idea of leaving it off but settled on cutting a hole in it to allow the fuse unit to fit.

ah cool, i've just left the lid in the glove box, dont know if i could bring myself to cutting a hole in the lid:scared:

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, Shigeo said:

Does anybody use a Mirror Tap and get the power directly from the Lexus' Mirror or overhead console?

Yes I took mine from the interior lighting panel using a 12 volt to 5v USB converter.

• 3 months later...

I have used this OBD cable and power cam adaptors for 1 year in my old RX350 and now I have transferred it to my new NX F-Sport.

With double exit, it power the front dash cam and rear cam too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AUM8FMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XS33J2N/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

( FOR JUST ONLY 1 DASH CAM):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-KONNWEI-OBD2-Car-Diagnostic-Extender/dp/B077XFGSWN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=obdii+obd2+16+pin+ultra+flat+low+profile&qid=1594508098&s=automotive&sr=1-5

It has a switch with 2 choices:

1) the cam will be put off 5 min after the engine is turned off. (For example when you arrive at home)

2) the cam will working until it detects low Battery voltage(11.6V). (Useful to leave the camera ON during the supermarket  parking)

It working fine, like a dream. This system avoid difficulty jobs around the fuses!

Hope this help someone.

Instead so many, sometimes stupid gadgets, It would be time for prestige cars to have a mini usb socket installed as standard equipment for near the front windscreen and rear window.   This would prevent users from making long, sometimes disastrous connections.
Come on Lexus!. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

Some manufacturers install cameras as standard fitment. Perhaps Lexus should be doing this.

They barely just about included car play and android auto, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. 

But then again surely a software update can turn the rear and front parking cameras into a dash cam like tesla. 

23 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I never knew that Paul.Which manufacturers please?

From Autoexpress, July 2020-  Citroen is the only marque to offer a factory-fitted dash cam at the moment. The unit is available on the C3 supermini and will soon come to the C5 Aircross. The ConnectedCam shows this solution should be investigated by more manufacturers. It sits neatly behind the rear-view mirror and stores footage on its 128GB internal memory.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, Grumps said:

Some manufacturers install cameras as standard fitment. Perhaps Lexus should be doing this.

I'm not really sure I agree with factory fitted in general, let alone Lexus.

At least aftermarket cameras are easy to install or move from car to car, easy to change if you like to keep up with the latest technology and are reasonably priced. Can you imagine the cost of replacing an inbuilt Lexus dashcam if the need arose?

• Like 1