Lexatlast

Dash Cam Installation Advice

The point of impact is tooooooooooooooooooo late to assume anything Terry.

NASA assumed all would be well when launching Challenger!

As demonstrated the number plate comes into focus as you approach the car diminishing the glare of the headlamps.

Therefore I conclude the Cam will record all the incident regardless of consequence.

Tel

Found the fuse box today (thank you jbi507) fitted the piggy back fuse and earth all good, rooted the wire, very easy up the collum then under the head lining to were I was going fix the camera which was to the left side of the mirror, all done very neat no wires on show, all worked to ignition.

only problem it looked like a bag of crap, with the screen angle the camera hangs down right in the passenger line of sight and below the mirror so in total view when driving, so i striped it out and booked a web cam from Lexus, there model looks a far better, neater option than an ugly bolt on.

10 hours ago, Doby said:

i striped it out and booked a web cam from Lexus, there model looks a far better, neater option than an ugly bolt on.

Why are you going to pay well over the odds for a "Lexus" camera? And why did you strip it all out? You've done all the hard work and I've never yet seen a dashcam that doesn't connect by MiniUSB - you could have left the wiring in situ and just changed the cam.

Have a look at this review - a dual system, front and back, for about £110 or you can get just the front for about £80. Irrespective of the cost though, this guy likes it so much that he's now got one permanently in his own car, which is good enough for me because this guy reviews dozens and dozens of things.

• Like 1

@Herbie, thanks for the video as I hadn't seen/heard of Aukey before and they maybe an option for the wife's wagon (she'd like dashcam's but doesn't want to shell out too much).  They're neat and slimline too unlike many of the other cheaper options I've seen :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

No worries Lee, glad to help when I can  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

Why are you going to pay well over the odds for a "Lexus" camera? And why did you strip it all out? You've done all the hard work and I've never yet seen a dashcam that doesn't connect by MiniUSB - you could have left the wiring in situ and just changed the cam.

Have a look at this review - a dual system, front and back, for about £110 or you can get just the front for about £80. Irrespective of the cost though, this guy likes it so much that he's now got one permanently in his own car, which is good enough for me because this guy reviews dozens and dozens of things.

I like the the next base unit has gps etc all in and very tidy

Installed a dash cam this weekend, DDpai mini 3. Easy enough, tucked wires into headlining, down and across the side pillar, under the door seal at the side of the glovebox and into the fusebox.  Piggy back fuse on the Accessory fuse which powers with ignition, which I prefer.  It can be on a permanent supply and it has a setting to power down after a set period.    I chose this camera as I wanted something discrete and I can't see the point of a screen. As it's high on the screen the blue 'sun strip' does colour the top of the videos but i think that's probably a good thing as it also reduces glare.The videos it takes are really nice - plenty on you tube if your interested.

Photo of installation attached.

20190219_154107.jpg

20190219_154014.jpg

20190219_153721.jpg

I just bought the genuine Lexus next base dash cam from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk. This is £100 cheaper than having it fitted at my local dealer and it only took me about 20 minutes to fit it.

This kit comes with everything you need and is excellent quality compared to some of the rubbish dashcams I have had before. The guy at LPD is really helpful, I think his name is Dan. He even gave me free shipping because the order was over £100. Check it out!

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ls/lexus-nextbase-1080p-integrated-dash-cam/

• Like 1

@Nimbra@ilovemylexus72

when you guys piggybacked the fuse, did you guys leave the fuse box cover off? because I know the nextbase and I’m assuming others don’t have a micro fuse hardwire kit, but a mini.

Yes it was a mini rather than Micro fuse piggy back unit and the fuse box lid doesn't fit.

I toyed with the idea of leaving it off but settled on cutting a hole in it to allow the fuse unit to fit.

33 minutes ago, Nimbra said:

Yes it was a mini rather than Micro fuse piggy back unit and the fuse box lid doesn't fit.

I toyed with the idea of leaving it off but settled on cutting a hole in it to allow the fuse unit to fit.

ah cool, i've just left the lid in the glove box, dont know if i could bring myself to cutting a hole in the lid:scared: