Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake caliper slider/retainer pins

Linas.P

I bought a little pot of Molykote G3407 from the eBay seller in the post above. He has now realised the gap in the market and is selling little tubes under the name ProSlip. The only way before was to buy a huge quantity which would be fine for a very big garage but no use for two pins once a year type like us. He has now added a couple of other things for the rest of the servicing of brakes. I have used it on my pins without problem but this is hardly an extensive user experience. If Dow Corning's description is to be believed then silicon, red rubber, copper slip grease or whatever should not be used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-GREASE-CALIPER-PIN-GREASE-BRAKE-PAD-LUBRICANT-PROSLIP/253509579387?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49138%26meid%3Dd374abd4f10b428b8028fcb2b51b5359%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D253064197022%26itm%3D253509579387&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

I have no connection with him.

John

On 15/03/2018 at 11:03 PM, iwonder said:

toyota and lexus calipers dont come with red rubber grease in the sliders from factory. It's what they recommend when repairs are carried out after though. The biggest issue with these calipers is using a grease that swells the boot or reusing the old grease when replacing discs/pads. Ive been using toyotas supplied red rubber grease for years and have never had a slider issue as a result.

Red rubber grease is used for assembly - typically on the brake master cylinder and calliper piston seals to protect them. It isn't recommend for slide pin lubrication. Toyota/Lexus state that lithium soap base glycol grease should be used (e.g. Molykote G3407).

Today I asked ProSlip if they would give any discount to LOC members and they said yes! Enter the code LEX6YOU6 at checkout to get 20% off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ProSlip

I have no connection with this company other than buying a little pot of the caliper pen grease before this triple pack was available.

John

• Thanks 1

I have used the red rubber grease (pink grease in a tooth paste sized tube) for years - I actually am about to finish a second tube of it I have used it that long. Admittedly I do change the grease twice a year and a lot of the time its fine , some times its getting discoloured. I have had no issues with the rubber boots expending or the pins seizing (maybe as a result of the rubber protectors staying intact from the use of the grease)

Is this Molycote or the proslip compatable with the rubbers .... would you still clean the pins on a regular basis if using this?

The Proslip grease does not really state its a high temp grease which I would have thought it needed to be to cope with the temp of the calipers during braking.

Should the red rubber grease be used in the pistons when doing the pins to preserve the rubbers on them and also helping lubrication?

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2018 at 12:34 PM, ColinBarber said:

Red rubber grease is used for assembly - typically on the brake master cylinder and calliper piston seals to protect them. It isn't recommend for slide pin lubrication. Toyota/Lexus state that lithium soap base glycol grease should be used (e.g. Molykote G3407).

Sorry for late response, haven't been on for a while. I think the red rubber grease description is maybe confusing as im sure its not the same as the red rubber grease you get it tubs which is vegetable/ester based. Nissan, subaru, toyota, lexus and probably more japanese manufacturers specify this red rubber grease. I believe the original manufacturer is niglube as that tube looks identical although the japanese writing was blue and i no longer have it, I have 3 different tube designs of the same grease and it now says for metal and rubber on the latest tube. Added a photo to clear any doubt

RRG.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 5:38 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Honestly - its an easy job - I re-greased the ones on my new car and it took about 10 mins per wheel - glad I done it as the grease was a bit black.

2 bolts to remove on each of the fronts and one on each of the backs. Get into the routine of doing it as its needed at least one a year and spending 1 hour doing them at no cost is better than spending around £1k replacing all corners.

BUT - if you are not confident in doing them best leave to a garage as after all the brakes are vital.

Regarding the front slider pins, after cleaning and greasing do you use any type of thread locker on the securing bolts that bolt into slide pins or do you just torque up.

Iirc then new bolts will have a trace of thread locking compound applied and technically the manual states these bolts are one time use, so if using 'again' then thread locking compound is highly recommended. These bolts are sometimes supplied when you buy quality pads and yes correct torque also ( don't know what that would be to quote right now)

Paul m.

Thanks Texas, regarding one time use as recommended by Toyota (they probably assume strip down only on pad or disc replacement) however if you are re-greasing slide pins on a regular basis you would never be away from parts department!!  I will get a bottle of thread locker. Thanks for quick response.

Good or bad but I have always re-used the bolts when re-greasing the pins on the calipers. I do have a spare set of bolts that came with a set of pads/discs a while ago but not found any need to use them.

I don't thread lock them.

• Like 1