Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake caliper slider/retainer pins

Linas.P

Honestly - its an easy job - I re-greased the ones on my new car and it took about 10 mins per wheel - glad I done it as the grease was a bit black.

2 bolts to remove on each of the fronts and one on each of the backs. Get into the routine of doing it as its needed at least one a year and spending 1 hour doing them at no cost is better than spending around £1k replacing all corners.

BUT - if you are not confident in doing them best leave to a garage as after all the brakes are vital.

4 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Honestly - its an easy job - I re-greased the ones on my new car and it took about 10 mins per wheel - glad I done it as the grease was a bit black.

2 bolts to remove on each of the fronts and one on each of the backs. Get into the routine of doing it as its needed at least one a year and spending 1 hour doing them at no cost is better than spending around £1k replacing all corners.

BUT - if you are not confident in doing them best leave to a garage as after all the brakes are vital.

Fronts are done and agree it is relatively easy unless the pins are seized solid and then it's a pita.

Going to do rear ones later on in the week and probably replace pads and discs at same time.

Again looking at Youtube video it does look easy but as we all know until you start doing the work you never know what problems you will find....burred bolt heads anyone??

19 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Fronts are done and agree it is relatively easy unless the pins are seized solid and then it's a pita.

Going to do rear ones later on in the week and probably replace pads and discs at same time.

Again looking at Youtube video it does look easy but as we all know until you start doing the work you never know what problems you will find....burred bolt heads anyone??

The rear brakes have pads and also shoes (shoes are inside the discs) just in case you are not aware

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

The rear brakes have pads and also shoes (shoes are inside the discs) just in case you are not aware

Thanks...yes was aware that there are brake shoes for the handbrake/footbrake on the inside.  I am assuming, and hoping that they are fine and will not need replaced.

Will have read up on how to back the shoes off a tad to get the drum off and then adjust them up after the new discs are on.

On 3/14/2018 at 1:41 PM, The-Acre said:

Just had the 4 calipers on my GS lubed, £45 including replacing all pads that I supplied.  Not bad I thought.  

That's outstandingly good value.

2 hours ago, normski2 said:

That's outstandingly good value.

One was seized apparently but freed up easily.  I've been introduced to a mechanic with a fully equipped workshop and two ramps, and not being young he has a massive amount of knowledge.  He's very efficient, clean working (seat covers and floor protection) and very, very reasonable price wise.  He'll be getting all our work from now on.

28 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

One was seized apparently but freed up easily.  I've been introduced to a mechanic with a fully equipped workshop and two ramps, and not being young he has a massive amount of knowledge.  He's very efficient, clean working (seat covers and floor protection) and very, very reasonable price wise.  He'll be getting all our work from now on.

Just a pity he's so far away from Aberdeen.  Had one of these guys who did all the work on my cars but sadly he retires last year.  He must have saved be 1000s over the years.  Still looking for a replacement.

• Like 1

Checked all my slide pins today for the first time and have had the car since August last year. just prior to purchase the seller said he was gonna fit new rear pads that he already had, I asked if he could ensure the slide pins were well greased while changing the pads. So today they were all fine and moved freely but while I was in there I cleaned them all up anyway and re-greased with silicon grease. Pleased to see that all the pads had all the correct shims still in place ( plain steel & blacked backed ) well I would hope so too the cars only done 38k so prob only second set of pads! ( the pads in there now are Textar )

Will go back in there again in 6 months to see how they are fairing. One thing that was a bit un-nerving was torquing up the wheel nuts to 76 ft/lbs just did not seem tight enough!

paul m.

3 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Guess what I'm doing probably on Saturday morning.

Unsure if it really needs new discs and pads but will have a look in the morning.

IMG_20180315_171908.jpg

If anything is going to give you any grief it’s likely to be that slide pin with the threaded end. That’s the lower slide pin on offside and near side rear. Hopefully your rubber boots are sealing well and stopping water getting in there. It was the lower pin on mine that was seized. Right toad to work loose!!

Best of luck with it and take your time. Better to be slower and accurate.

2 hours ago, KenMavor said:

Just a pity he's so far away from Aberdeen.  Had one of these guys who did all the work on my cars but sadly he retires last year.  He must have saved be 1000s over the years.  Still looking for a replacement.

It really is such a bonus to find these sort of mechanics.  Someone who's prepared to repair rather than replace.  He told me the GS is easy to work on which is good to hear, I'm assuming the IS is similar.

47 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Not wishing to alarm. Shouldn’t you be using Red Rubber Grease? That’s the stuff that’s recommended for caliper slide pins. 

Yes, probably, but been going round in circles a bit trying to get a definitive answer. These pins tend to sieze up after a very short period of time in relation to other components if not maintained ( the LEXUS service schedule does not include them in preventative maintaince ie not Done on any periodical service) and the grease used ( and I guess recommended is the red rubber grease) has history of allowing these pins to sieze no?

this seller of replacement Lexus brake parts includes silicone grease with a pin kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS250-2005-2015-2x-Front-brake-caliper-guide-slider-pin-kits-S7291CA-2-/332227526316?hash=item4d5a4dbeac:g:7L4AAOSwAO9ZUDwl&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

I am aware there are lots of different greases available and most ( petroleum based) are definately not suitable due to the rubber bellows.

This ex-seller of grease explains a bit about the pro's & cons. And states that Red Rubber grease has got No lubricant properties! Perhaps why our pins sieze up!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-GREASE-FOR-CALIPER-PINS-IF-YOU-039-RE-USING-ANYTHING-ELSE-STOP-/253064197022?rmvSB=true&utm_medium=ForumLinks&ul_noapp=true&hash=item3aebcd339e%3Ag%3AJzsAAOSwjL5ZDZTF&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-53481-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D4%26campid%3D5336640300%26toolid%3D10001%26afsrc%3D1%26customid%3D2061X563690X33b51080c5193d154e527c5df6e45bc8%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252FBRAKE-GREASE-FOR-CALIPER-PINS-IF-YOURE-USING-ANYTHING-ELSE-STOP-%252F253064197022%253Fhash%253Ditem3aebcd339e%253Ag%253AJzsAAOSwjL5ZDZTF%2526utm_source%253DLexusOwnersClubUK%2526utm_medium%253DForumLinks%26srcrot%3D710-53481-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1467965507805&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=1467965507805&nma=true&si=1rrSY%2BQf8r%2F82ttKYA2eNYrGw0M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So, not having much faith in the Red Rubber grease, That's why today I used the Silicone Grease but when I check the pins in 6 months time ( hopefully they won't have siezed by then) I will probably invest in the Molykote G3407 and try that. Even mentions Lexus!

• Molykote G3407 Caliper Guide Pin Grease

• Molykote G3407 Caliper Pin grease maintains low friction between the caliper pin and its bore in the mounting bracket. 
  • Very quick micro-sliding movements are prevented from causing fretting corrosion on the guide pin.
  • Safe in contact with & no reaction to elastomeric rubber boots or sleeves.
  • Developed for caliper guide pins metal to metal lubrication
  • Superior for metal to metal lubrication than red rubber grease.
  • Avoids copper grease which is not suitable for guide pins.
  • Lower frictional force than Silicone Grease.
  • OEM on many new vehicles.
  • Optimise pedal feel & braking performance.
  • Limit abnormal pad & disc wear.
  • PAG formulation as specified by Jaguar, Audi GM Lexus, Toyota, etc
  • Supplied in a convenient 25g tube.
  • Free Postage & Packing.

full specification here:-

https://krayden.com/dow-corning-molykote-g-3407-caliper-pin-grease/

Sounds like the business doesn't it?

paul m ( with crossed fingers!)

toyota and lexus calipers dont come with red rubber grease in the sliders from factory. It's what they recommend when repairs are carried out after though. The biggest issue with these calipers is using a grease that swells the boot or reusing the old grease when replacing discs/pads. Ive been using toyotas supplied red rubber grease for years and have never had a slider issue as a result.

Ok, wasn't aware of that from factory fact, so do you think that the ones that have siezed, and there seems to have been quite a few ( it has turned out to be one of the known problems of this make/model) are due to improper grease or lack of any grease?

I also find it strange that a low cost easy access operation ( therefore potentially big profit ) is not included in any Lexus service schedule.

But it does look like that the Molykote G3407 that is now available is more suitable in this application than the red rubber grease.

paul m.

5 minutes ago, Texas said:

Ok, wasn't aware of that from factory fact, so do you think that the ones that have siezed, and there seems to have been quite a few ( it has turned out to be one of the known problems of this make/model) are due to improper grease or lack of any grease?

I also find it strange that a low cost easy access operation ( therefore potentially big profit ) is not included in any Lexus service schedule.

But it does look like that the Molykote G3407 that is now available is more suitable in this application than the red rubber grease.

paul m.

I would think those that have seized in owners cars are down to several reasons. Amongst those are:

No servicing ever being undetaken. Agreed.. it is daft that Lexus do not include it on service schedules. Equally daft that they think an air filter is good for 35,000 mls!!!!

Quite possibly the wrong type of grease used and then left too long.

Perished/split rubber boots that have allowed dirt and water in etc etc

Paul, all you need do is check them in 6-8 months and see how they look. If its all good then great. I only mentioned it as I was told by a spannerer at Lexus that I must not use Silicone Grease. That may well have been duff info ... i don't know, i just took it at face value.

I'm currently using the Red grease on both my Lex and wifeys Mx5. It does seem to work very well but I'll keep a note of the Molykote and maybe try it when my tin of red is used up.

Keith

Molykote make great products. They supply the shim grease for Toyota which looks alot like moly grease. I'll be buying some molykote caliper grease to see how it compares.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2018 at 8:15 AM, ColinBarber said:

Once you have them in good condition, it is a quick yearly procedure to relube them - you don't need to take a wheel off or even jack up the vehicle if you don't mind lying down on the floor.

Hi Colin

This sounds like a good idea, leaving wheels on and presumably just running the the car onto ramps. Understand about being able to do fronts as both are bolts, however can you also lube rear bottom bolts with wheels on. Other members say with practice they can do all four corners in one hour, I must be real slow, it would take me an hour just jacking up and removing and replacing all wheels without doing any other work !! Your idea if I could do it certainly would save a bit of time. After re-greasing slide pins  pins do you apply loctite to the threads(I seen this being done on American You tube ) or do you just leave them ?  

Has anyone here tried to unscrew the lower pin from the caliper assembly?

I didn't knew it can be removed and had been greasing the pin but I think it needs changed now. It will be almost welded in. But the question is, what part does one use to grip it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Joining this one a bit late but having had Lexus rebuild,under warranty, new discs,calipers and pads last year I am wondering what slider pin grease to use. I have read many reviews and there is a no clear winner.  Having just rebuilt the calipers and fitted new sliders into the wife's car( not a Lexy) I used the clear silicon based pin lube that came with the FRENTECH kit .  Any thoughts as I will be re lubricating the Lexus pins pre winter 2018. Appreciate the input.