Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member - About to buy GS450 SE-L

Frazzybell

Hi All,

I have just joined the site, I am actually not a Lexus owner as yet but should be by end of day. Looking to purchase a GS450H SE-L 56 plate in dark purple :-)

Outwith any codes in relation to Hybrid Battery fault etc, is there anything else I should be looking out for ?. I am travelling a fair distance ( Glasgow to London ) to buy this so would rather be prepared.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You,

Fraser

Hi Frank

The GS450H is an amazing car and im saying that without ever driven one. It does have its weak points which you should check as follows:

1. Ideally should have FSH with a hybrid health check certificate
  2. Leaking shocks are a common problem - try to check these - look for advisories on the MOT history
  3. Seized calipers is another - touch the wheels after a test drive to see if the feel warm or hot.
  4. Creaking dash is another - listen out for cabin noises
  5. If it has radar cruise then check it works - there has been some reports of these failing due to water ingress
  6. Check the exhaust - they are prone to rusting - rear boxes and joints
  7. Check the headlights stay on - some problems have been reported where one goes out due to connections at the bulb failing.
  8. Check the TPMS - these often start leaking and need to be replaced.
  9. Check for corosion under the leading bonnet under edge.
  10. Check for dampness on rear carpets - there has been an isolated incident of blocked drains causing this problem

I think thats about it - obviously make sure all the electrics work including keyless entry - ride should be smooth and quite. Remember it has locking weheel nut key.

Hope this helps

• Like 4

Hi,

Thank you for swift reply.

IT does have FLSH and has had some cells replaced last year with hybrid check up. Springs at back been changed and shocks topped up

Didn't realise about callipers, is this front and rear ?

TPMS what is this ?

Bonnet been replaced is this common as your mentioned about under edge ?

Cheers,

Fraser

Hi Fraser, welcome to the forum.

Is this the car? https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/2006-lexus-gs-450h-3.5-cvt-hybrid-auto-full-lexus-history-/1259017304

$_86.JPG

Seems it has FDSH, new tyres and is a good colour.  The condition shown in the pic's seems okay too, so let us know how you get on.

Mark has pretty much given you 'the' list but I will add that the Lexus alloy paint can tend to bubble.

If it's had a FDSH then a Hybrid health check should also have been performed, ask to see the certificate.

The exhaust on an older car are prone to rot, look under the rear bumper and the center Y section may leak - it'll be black if it is.  A replacement from Lexus is shockingly expensive but more cost effective repairs are available so don't be put off.  My OSR muffler had a couple of big holes too, yet it sounded quite so check them too if possible.  

Shox leaking seem to be a common quote from a dealer too, even if they aren't (as I found out).  So take care and look for yourself.

Let me run the reg through the MOT history and see what pops up...

• Like 1

Nothing odd showing up in the MOT history, just the usual misting shox's, worn tyres and brakes.

Seized calipers are a dealer money spinner to replace the entire caliper when in fact it is just the slider pins that dry up.  If the sliders are greased regularly then it's not a problem but dealers don't seem to take the time to do this.  But then why would they if they can charge for completely new calipers.

TPMS is the tyre pressure monitoring system to alert of any punctures. It's not mandatory on your year of car, so any warnings will go through an MOT without failing.

• Like 2

Hey Farqui,

It is not this car, it was on Autotrader but has since been removed. Im flying to Gatwick airport at 6pm this evening to meet the guy selling it.

MOT was just done in July, it does need a service which dealer quoted £225 for and new front pads at £145.

The lower wishbone bushes are perished according to MOT but no movement, will be looking to make sure there is no major movement in them as had to replace on wife's RX300 which was a nightmare

• Like 1

Dang, I thought I'd found the only purple one FS in the country as well :wacko:

Okay, well you still have a fair bit of 'advice' to arm yourself with.

Wow, you're flying down there eh.  I hope it turns out to be a decent motor/as described/etc.

Good luck.

Haha,

Everyone in my work thinks I am nuts, it's only a 441 mile drive home lol

Is purple rare by chance ?

REG is GU56 ZZK

Assume MOT check you done was on other car ?

• Like 1

Hi,

It seems to have suffered all the usual faults already, so hopefully they won't be a problem again for some time to come.

Are you also getting the brake pipe looked at? 

6 hours ago, Frazzybell said:

REG is GU56 ZZK

Assume MOT check you done was on other car ?

Ah, only just seen this and yes my earlier check was on the 'other' car.

Checking GU56 ZZK...shows that the OS rear exhaust had a major leak last year, headlamp bulb colour in '15. 2014 shox. 2013 OSF headlamp beam out and reg plate incomplete, I wonder if it had a slight knock? The rest are low pads, tyres which can be expected.  Year on year mileages show pretty regular use.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

i bought the car. was with seller for over two hours. Considering had never driven one before i am blown  away by performance and economy
currently at Warwick services filling myself up before  leave.

Car is amazing its ia Def blue onyx pearl. also the xenons been chnaged for Philips that cost €199, i am convinced i read this on tghe forum before and wonder if it is a members old car?
on another npte i was getting 46.2mpg average at 60mph which is just crazy.
i will post later for proof and pics of this beast 😁

• Like 3

Phew, I'm glad the car was a good deal for you after committing to travel the length of the isle (twice).

Enjoy your trip back home in your comfy limo.

Nice way of bonding with a new car though. A nice 440 mile drive, nothing like it to get to know a new car well. Normally the other way round mind because cars tend to be cheaper north of the border.