Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

04 rx300 parts

Im after some help with new parts that i need, im looking at replacing the rear shocks and front discs on my car. However as my car is 13 years old what are peoples thoughts on not buying parts from lexus and using other named parts. Up until know ive always had the car serviced and all parts done at lexus, but as im only using the car about 3 days a week due to new shifts implemented i dont want to continue paying lexus prices.

What do other people use if not lexus please.

You know you're going to get completely opposing views on this, don't you? :biggrin:

Personally, I think that anyone who takes a car that is over 10 years old to a main dealer just has far too much money to play with. Any main dealer pricing is far too high but Lexus take it to a whole new level. By the time cars get to 10 years old there's very little resale value left in them and having the official stamp in the service book is worthless at that point, so why do it? I'd rather just go to a local garage and know that my money is going into the local economy rather than just buying yet another bottle of bubbly for some corporate fat cat.

Before my back injury, I used to love working on my cars myself and would buy named brands from places like Euro Car Parts for instance. Sadly, I can no longer work on my car but I do go to a trusted garage and get great service from knowledgeable guys at fair and reasonable prices. If it needs things like shocks or discs I don't specify what brand I want, I just trust the mechanics to buy the parts in and fit them. I've been at the garage when vans from well-known (here in Preston anyway) motor factors places like ECP, Andrew Page, BBC and Dodgsons have been delivering parts so I know they aren't buying from China or some back-street places and I'm happy with whatever they get and wherever they get it from.

Lexus/Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Vauxhall et al do not, as far as I'm aware, manufacture things such as batteries, brakes, exhausts or tyres etc., etc., they just buy in from whoever does make them, so I also see no point in going for 'genuine Lexus' parts and again, paying over the odds.

Of course, this is always a bone of contention and we're opening a right can of worms, so I'll now just sit back and watch the fireworks :yes:

• Like 1

I agree with John.  My RX300 is 14 years old and, so far - touch wood, is going well.  I had my front discs changed some time back using pattern parts at much lower price than the Lexus ones.  I have found that Toyota and Lexus brake discs do not last as long as other vehicles I have owned.

My power steering pump started leaking and a new one from Lexus costs the best part of £800,  I had the existing one refurbished and re-built, fitted etc. for less than £300.

No fireworks from me on this one.

Barrie

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies i appreciate it. After getting a price on both rear shocks and front discs fitted at my local Lexus dealer, i checked even the lexus store on eBay and the savings was unreal. 

I guess i will have a look on other parts stores and get the items i need and find a good reputable mechanic to fit them. As pointed out by sorcerer the resale value wont be that much so its time to save a little my way.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Had to change all discs and pads when I got my 08 400H, got them from Eurocarparts, they are fine. Also on other cars I've used Brake Parts Superstore. All were much cheaper than main dealer prices.

• Like 2

On Saturday I replaced the front disc and pads on my wifes Mk4 Honda CRV and used Eicher Premium discs from Euro Carparts for £41.99 (the RX400h are the same price) and EBC greens stuff pads. Saved myself well over £200 on the dealers quote. It only took me about an hour to do both sides and is pretty easy. If you don't have one I would suggest an impact driver to remove the disc retaining screws.

I have used the EBC pads before and they generate virtually no dust and last really well. They were cheaper than Honda OEM and for a RX400h they are £56.99 from ebcbrakeshop.co.uk part number DP61681

Good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links