Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres for Rx400h

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for new tyres for my Rx400h (2007) as the service dealer just informed me they are showing age signs (cracking) and are down to the wear bars. I see that Avon ZX7 are recommended sometimes - any contrary views?

Interestingly, I check mine and they are Dunlops "Made in Japan" and I'm wondering if they could be the originals - but with 76000 miles it seems unlikely. Any comments?

Cheers

David

Can you see the week and year on the tyre? That will give you the age. This is usually found near the tyre size on the sidewall.

I have our RX on Nokian WRSUV3 Nokian WR SUV 3 - 235/55 R18 104H XL all year round, as she isn't a sports car i prefer winters on it. The insurance company doesn't mind.

29 minutes ago, Cabcurtains said:

Can you see the week and year on the tyre? That will give you the age. This is usually found near the tyre size on the sidewall.

I have our RX on Nokian WRSUV3 Nokian WR SUV 3 - 235/55 R18 104H XL all year round, as she isn't a sports car i prefer winters on it. The insurance company doesn't mind.

I don't see any date code that I recognise. I'm curious as to why your insurance company would either know or care what tyres you have.

12 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

I don't see any date code that I recognise. I'm curious as to why your insurance company would either know or care what tyres you have.

If the speed and load rating wasn't sufficient for the car, they would try and avoid paying out in the event of a claim. The same is possible with the size not being the official size but i think that's a bit more subjective provided its a sensible change like 195 instead of a 205.

With the winter tyres some insurance co's still like to be informed, the majority don't. You can download a full list from the ABI website, our current insurer used to wan to know, they don't anymore.

This is what my BMW has (the Lexus isn't with me at the mo), this has been marked on tyres for a few years now, i don't know if its all brands though;

IMG_0440.JPG

• Like 1

There is no 4-digit code like that on my tyres - they just could be too old for such a marking. They do look very old so they are getting replaced a.s.a.p. - the quote for the Avons is about £90 plus fitting.

Thanks

David

4 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

There is no 4-digit code like that on my tyres - they just could be too old for such a marking. They do look very old so they are getting replaced a.s.a.p. - the quote for the Avons is about £90 plus fitting.

Thanks

David

According to this article tyres have been date marked for a long time, so it should be there somewhere. I wonder if they've been put on inside out and it doesn't appear on the inside? When we bought our car the spare was brand new, still with the little bobbly bits on, but had gone hard so had to be destroyed - that was dated 0705.

10 hours ago, sorcerer said:

According to this article tyres have been date marked for a long time, so it should be there somewhere. I wonder if they've been put on inside out and it doesn't appear on the inside? When we bought our car the spare was brand new, still with the little bobbly bits on, but had gone hard so had to be destroyed - that was dated 0705.

I'll take another look later when it's lighter. Your comment on the spare is a perfect argument for proper 5-wheel tyre rotation on a regular basis. When I lived in California we did oil changes at 3000 or 5000 miles with a 5-wheel rotation and got great mileage - up to 50,000 regularly. The service agent here was surprised when I had to ask them to do a rotation after 1 year and almost 10,000 miles. I'm going to have to check my spare as well now.

3 hours ago, rynd2it said:

I'll take another look later when it's lighter. Your comment on the spare is a perfect argument for proper 5-wheel tyre rotation on a regular basis. 

Found the date codes, spare is an original, the rest are from 2013 and as you can see, are showing cracking and ageing. I did find some tyres online from Openo (HiLife) at £57 - wondering if anyone has ever used them. They seem to have the same ratings as the Avons but are way cheaper and as I need 5 that's a big saving.

Tyres 001.jpg

Tyres 002.jpg

Glad you found the date codes :yes:

Never heard of those tyres but I'm sceptical about them. I can understand the attraction when you need five of them but £57 sounds just too good to be true.

Hmm... I may know why I've never heard of them. When looking for "Openo" Google automatically displayed Oponeo, where I can find tyres made by Hifly but not the "HiLife" you quoted - mind you, I've still never heard of either of them so it makes no difference :biggrin:

If I'm looking at the right ones, they're E rated for economy, C rated for wet grip and 71dB as opposed to the Avon's C, A and 69dB, so personally I'd still go with the Avons.

7 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Glad you found the date codes :yes:

Never heard of those tyres but I'm sceptical about them. I can understand the attraction when you need five of them but £57 sounds just too good to be true.

Hmm... I may know why I've never heard of them. When looking for "Openo" Google automatically displayed Oponeo, where I can find tyres made by Hifly but not the "HiLife" you quoted - mind you, I've still never heard of either of them so it makes no difference :biggrin:

If I'm looking at the right ones, they're E rated for economy, C rated for wet grip and 71dB as opposed to the Avon's C, A and 69dB, so personally I'd still go with the Avons.

Those were the ones I was referring to - just can't type ;-)  I agree about the Avons and in fact I just ordered them from my local fitter at the same price as the Openeo web site - they will be fitted on Thursday.

Thank you all for the input - very useful and educational

David

• Like 1

never hear of Oponeo but I've had positive experiences with Event Semita budget tyres on my 400h. Bit more expensive than yours at £70-80 (can;t remember exactly) a corner but they ride and grip well and are Lexus quiet - only a few months old so no idea about wear rates yet though.

I had the Avons fitted and have driven about 200 miles since - they are very quiet and smooth riding I'm well pleased with them. Now for the rain but I suspect I won't have long to wait ;-)

• Like 1