Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

For the 6th time since last November, our car has been the victim of a hit and run.

My wife works part time at a local medical centre and has no choice but to use a local public car park that is used by visitors to both the medical centre and the local library. Unfortunately, the spaces are rather narrow, our RX is rather wide, and the locals generally very elderly.... not a good combination. The fact that there is no CCTV does not help.

So since November, when my wife started working there, there have been nasty scratches and dents twice to the front bumper and once to the rear (repaired at a cost of £450 + £250), and alongside BOTH sides of the car (not yet fixed, but it will be £100's!). One very  obvious one along the front AND rear doors on the drivers side, the other on the passenger's side. PICS to come.

Yesterday, it happened again, although FOR THE FIRST TIME the culprit was kind enough to leave his details. The corner of the front bumper is damaged where it had been repaired before, which means that a replacement rather than a second repair may be required (other driver's insurance will pay this time).

I have never been keen on witness cameras, but I am now forced to consider them. I do not want any DIY solution (the thought of any DIY scares me!), and I would prefer a fully installed solution.

Recommendations anyone?

Recurring car park dings are one of the reasons I will not be replacing this RX3 with a RX4, but downsize to an NX.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kancho Shogun said:

I was told by Lexus Guildford of an insurance policy that covers such events. You can claim for small scratches to the paintwork & wheels, up to 18 times over 5 years.

Might be worth looking into.

Would that be just for accidental scratches etc? Or does it cover vandalism specifically?

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Would that be just for accidental scratches etc? Or does it cover vandalism specifically?

The cause doesn't matter BUT check the size of the scratches and dents, it's quite small.

certainly large scrapes wouldn't fit the definition or large dents.

having said that there are users in here that have benefitted from the policy so worth investigating 

i feel your pain I'm also a magnet for idiots it seems. I'm thinking of starting a cult so I can at least benefit from the stupidity and ignorance...

Would there be a possibility of paying a household nearby to the medical centre to use their drive during business hours while they're at work. If your wife is paying say £5 per day just to get your car damaged then why not see if you could pay a householder the same. It's a win win situation, and just a matter of finding that willing person. Maybe with a shop window or medical centre notice board ad?

Its starting to happen around our area quite a lot these days.

Just another option buddy.

Bod

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, bobmc said:

It's called Lexus Smart Cover, but you can only buy it at the time of vehicle purchase (new or used) so no good in this instance.

Not sure it sounds that good a deal..

Excludes -

• Damage of any kind to wheels, rims or tyres
  • Any panel that is ripped, holed, torn or perforated
  • Damage to beading, moulding, glass, lights or decals
  • Any damage that occurred before the start date

Limited to -

here is no limit on the number of claims you can make. However, each individual claim is limited to £500, with a £3,000 aggregate claim limit over the term of your policy.

Each claim has a £10 excess

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The insurance (Lexus) you are talking about would not cover this because of the size of the damage... see pics.

Parking on someone's drive is a good idea, and one that we will be looking into.

I run the cheaper car because of the mileage I do. It would not be economically viable to use the RX every day.

I am also thinking of approaching the car park owner (not sure whether it is council-owned) and highlight my - and very possibly other's - plight, suggesting that the bays should be made bigger and that CCTV is installed.

Attach0.jpg

Attach1.jpg

• Like 2

Dang, those marks are considerable :sad:

A clean and polish should help reduce them but that's not the point is it, folks should take more care.

Good luck getting any response from the car park owner, pals have tried this in the past and made zip all progress.

Arranging to park on a private drive nearby sounds like a good option.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, DanD said:

For the 6th time since last November, our car has been the victim of a hit and run.

My wife works part time at a local medical centre and has no choice but to use a local public car park that is used by visitors to both the medical centre and the local library. Unfortunately, the spaces are rather narrow, our RX is rather wide, and the locals generally very elderly.... not a good combination. The fact that there is no CCTV does not help.

So since November, when my wife started working there, there have been nasty scratches and dents twice to the front bumper and once to the rear (repaired at a cost of £450 + £250), and alongside BOTH sides of the car (not yet fixed, but it will be £100's!). One very  obvious one along the front AND rear doors on the drivers side, the other on the passenger's side. PICS to come.

Yesterday, it happened again, although FOR THE FIRST TIME the culprit was kind enough to leave his details. The corner of the front bumper is damaged where it had been repaired before, which means that a replacement rather than a second repair may be required (other driver's insurance will pay this time).

I have never been keen on witness cameras, but I am now forced to consider them. I do not want any DIY solution (the thought of any DIY scares me!), and I would prefer a fully installed solution.

Recommendations anyone?

Recurring car park dings are one of the reasons I will not be replacing this RX3 with a RX4, but downsize to an NX.

I bought a Vantrue OnDash N2 , about £150.00 for my vehicle. I bought an RX450H after me LS400 was written off by the insurance company after an altercation with a large hunting pack dog on the A1.I thought this would help with any further incidents I may have in the new vehicle. It has the facility to record if the vehicle gets knocked when left unattended, but requires a power source as it does not have  an internal Battery. It can also record whats is happening inside as you drive along.

I have it connected to my aux power (cig lighter) and run a long cable to the unit that sits behind and under my rear view mirror. Haven't had cause to use it yet but it is there incase.

I can't say whether its good for the job because it only point to the front but might catch a number plate driving off, depends how you position it.

The only issue is, a dashcam is useless in a small car park.

Due to the height of the RX, and the particular place on the vehicle where the scratches seem to occur, I would bet that 9/10 times, the dashcam would fail to provide a reg as the reg itself would be too low.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links