Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I can recommend the Saris Bones bike rack

For anyone who might fancy sticking on a bike rack to the rear of their LS I can definitely recommend the Saris Bones rack.  The rack is well made, tough yet very light.

I attached it easily to my LS and put on two 29" MTBs.  I came down to Sennen, Cornwall on Saturday from Sheffield and the bikes were stable and I felt confident driving up to 80 mph. (max recommended speed for the rack) I removed the pedals and put bubble wrap on the forks of one bike and I can happily report that the boot suffered no marking form the six straps that attach to the lid.  In fact I thought the car looked pretty cool with them on the back.

What does amaze me though is that I didn't see another LS on the entire journey.  Certainly very rare cars.

Nick

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, nickd said:

For anyone who might fancy sticking on a bike rack to the rear of their LS I can definitely recommend the Saris Bones rack.  The rack is well made, tough yet very light.

I attached it easily to my LS and put on two 29" MTBs.  I came down to Sennen, Cornwall on Saturday from Sheffield and the bikes were stable and I felt confident driving up to 80 mph. (max recommended speed for the rack) I removed the pedals and put bubble wrap on the forks of one bike and I can happily report that the boot suffered no marking form the six straps that attach to the lid.  In fact I thought the car looked pretty cool with them on the back.

What does amaze me though is that I didn't see another LS on the entire journey.  Certainly very rare cars.

Nick

I have had a Saris Bones for about 12 years, but only just got around to using on my LS, once set up takes about 5 mins to fit and remove. 

Have had 3 MTB on the rack, and solid as they come.

Only thing I need to do is get a plate/light bar to put on, as I have tow bar electrics, and probably blocking the brake lights a little too much, but so far only used the rack to carry a few miles at a time.

This rack works well becuase the back bumper is darned solid and deep, where as on my Omega of old, it never felt quite so stable.

Agree that it adds a certain look of menace to the back of the car without adding the length problems with a bike rack mounted on the tow bar ball.

One thing to be careful of is the pedals catching the metal work, and I like the idea of bubble-wrap, will use that next time to be safe.

• Like 1

I'd only recently found out about the Saris, didn't know it had been around so long.

Yes taking my pedals off certainly helped avoid scratches.  I used the wrap held on with cable ties.  Next time I think i'll use large pipe lagging foam.  Certainly worth bring the bikes down, been out a few time and tonight cycling to Penberth.  Lovely spot.

Have to say I didn't bother with another plate.  Most cars with a rear boot rack didn't seem to either.  However to be safe next time I will.

I'm glad now I didn't pay the extra £170 or so for the Thule Raceway 992.

The Thule does not seem so stable (to me) in the way it is put together, and also the Saris works well as it has the two hooks that go right down to the rear eyelets right by the exhaust boxes and really hold it on along with the side straps.

In old days used to have roof bars with bike carriers, but you need to be a ruddy weight-lifter to get the bikes up that high and so that was why Saris appealed to me.

Enjoy going to Penberth, I intend to get out to the Forest of Dean and Afan Forest near Neath.  Just need some nice weekends when the missus is not expecting me to clear out the shed or paint a window or two.

If anyone is considering a Saris Bones rack then they appear to be on offer at the moment

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/bike-storage-and-transport/saris-bones-3-bike-car-rack--various-colours_107904

I stumbled across this whilst browsing, have no affiliation, etc.

• 8 months later...
19 hours ago, bigman100 said:

Where on the ls400 does the lower rack support cord go,the ls400 boot lid is very shallow,and the bumper goes under the car?

There are loops under the car near both rear silencers, put the hooks in the loops (just be careful not to have anything touching the exhaust.

One thing take care with is side cord hooks, then can run against the bodywork, so I use a bit of insulating tape on the boot body panels.

I meant to take a photo of when mine is fitted, but have not been out with bikes for a while.